Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a heterosexual man wear a pair of swimtrunks like these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if we come up with more inapt comparisons that have no connection whatsoever to the query posed by the OP?
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      What if we come up with more inapt comparisons that have no connection whatsoever to the query posed by the OP?
      Okay, that sounds fun. What if somebody liked the way a pith helmet looked, but didn't want to be confused with a big-game hunter or an imperialist who oppressed indigenous people and destroyed their habitats? Would we condemn him here? How could we blame him for not wanting to be mistaken as one of those dreadful people?

I'm trying to come up with some stuff about astronauts and pirates as well, but I'm still at the office.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
        What if a black guy says he doesn't want to wear baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and bling coz he doesn't want to look like a rapper or a banger from the hood. Is that ok then coz he's black? Or do we assume he hates his own race?
        Better question is why you associate baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and "bling" with Black folk? (Also, internalized homophobia/racism/transphobia/etc is very much a thing, and not that farfetched given we live in a society that will always favor the cisgender white straight male.)

Comment

Looking at folks as colors or cateogories is such waste of energy that could be used for some other purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by L_Wilson View Post
            Better question is why you associate baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and "bling" with Black folk? (Also, internalized homophobia/racism/transphobia/etc is very much a thing, and not that farfetched given we live in a society that will always favor the cisgender white straight male.)
            Because I've seen movies or tv shows where a white guy dresses that way, and another character says to him "why do you dress like that, you're not black" or something to that effect. Also, I see how rappers dress (hip-hop is the only music I listen to, though today's rappers are mostly garbage, except Kendrick and a few others).

There are certain looks we associate with gender, sexuality, age, profession, sports, hobbies, lifestyles, nationalities, etc., and while these stereotypes are not always accurate, the associations are there whether we like it or not.

Comment

My friend is over, and he is gay, and told me he doesn't like those shorts. Does that make him straight?

Comment

No joke, I have a gay friend who asked me (and another gay friend and two other female friends) if a certain item of clothing would make him look gay, and another gay friend, I've heard him say "I wouldn't wear that, it's too gay". Does that make them homophobes?

Comment

If your body looks like that, sure you can pull it, most people will think you are just a show off not a gay male.
                  Originally posted by Brandonlorenzen View Post
                  So I was looking at this pair of swim trunks that I personally think are very stylish. However, they are really short and I am worried they might convey to others around me that I am homosexual. I know some of you will be trying to tell me, "Don't worry about what other people think, just wear them if you like them." Thank you, but that's not what I'm trying to get at. If you saw a man wearing swim trunks like these on the beach or something, would any of you think, "Wow those are really short, he's probably gay." If I'm being ridiculous please let me know. Thank you.
                  Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
                    What if a black guy says he doesn't want to wear baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and bling coz he doesn't want to look like a rapper or a banger from the hood. Is that ok then coz he's black? Or do we assume he hates his own race?
                    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but I think you've got your analogy backwards.

Being black is more akin to being gay - we're born that way. And dress all different ways.

Dressing like a lumberjack or "banger" is more of a choice.

Comment

Ignoring from the notion that your clothes may signal to others around you your sexual preference - if you're hesitant to buy the trunks, which are certainly a statement piece, odds are you won't wear them even if you do buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                        Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but I think you've got your analogy backwards.

Being black is more akin to being gay - we're born that way. And dress all different ways.

Dressing like a lumberjack or "banger" is more of a choice.
                        Solid clarification there. My oldest son is gay. I have 2 best friends that are gay. None of them dress like they are marching in the pride parade every day...which is what I think some people expect gay people to dress like. As for the gay people saying "does this make me look gay"...it is perpetuating a stereotype. It's a similar argument to black people using the N word or women calling themselves bitches. Personally, I think its delaying the evolution of societies views but it is your choice if that's what you want to do. Being "in the club" doesn't make all of your views or actions automatically right though. Doesnt make mine right either. Thats why I typically choose to not make it a basis of decision or conversation (for the most part).

Comment

Originally posted by patelsd View Post
                          Ignoring from the notion that your clothes may signal to others around you your sexual preference - if you're hesitant to buy the trunks, which are certainly a statement piece, odds are you won't wear them even if you do buy them.
                          agreed

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                            As for the gay people saying "does this make me look gay"...it is perpetuating a stereotype. It's a similar argument to black people using the N word or women calling themselves bitches. Personally, I think its delaying the evolution of societies views but it is your choice if that's what you want to do. Being "in the club" doesn't make all of your views or actions automatically right though. Doesnt make mine right either. Thats why I typically choose to not make it a basis of decision or conversation (for the most part).
                            I agree with you. Just because a member of a class thinks or says something doesn't mean they represent the entire class nor does it make the opinion right by default. I'm black, my dad is as well, and he says some stuff about young black men that would fit in well at Fox News. The fact that he is black, does not make his opinion more valid.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                              Okay, that sounds fun. What if somebody liked the way a pith helmet looked, but didn't want to be confused with a big-game hunter or an imperialist who oppressed indigenous people and destroyed their habitats? Would we condemn him here? How could we blame him for not wanting to be mistaken as one of those dreadful people?

I'm trying to come up with some stuff about astronauts and pirates as well, but I'm still at the office.
                              I used to love wearing a solid red grenadine tie on occasion. Now because that look has been taken over by the current White House occupant, I no longer wear that tie. Is that a similar example?

Comment

Originally posted by gochrisgo View Post
                                I used to love wearing a solid red grenadine tie on occasion. Now because that look has been taken over by the current White House occupant, I no longer wear that tie. Is that a similar example?
                                You and me both in regard to red ties. I used to wear red ties almost every day to the office. I stopped for the same reason you did.

I also stopped wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy boots, but that was for entirely different reasons.
                                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                                X