Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Parka or Jacket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Parka or Jacket?

I live in North Carolina where it doesn't get too cold, but cold enough in the mornings for sure. Saw the review on the parka, like it, looks good, but indifferent about that hood. What do you all think? Should I just get the jacket? Parka on sale right now, that hood might come in handy.

IMO what they call a parka is really a jacket with a hood. A true parka comes down past your hips to the thigh - they're generally long enough that they completely cover a sport coat. It's a matter of whether you want a hood or not - my guess is other than the hood the parka is the same a s the jacket. I live in the DC area and get some use out of my half decade old Lands' End down parka, but it's rather limited use as it's only cold enough to really need it a few weeks a year. But, I grew up in Michigan and have good friends in Boston so visit both places in the winter pretty regularly, and it really comes in handy that far north.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not a hood guy so I wouldn't get the parka/jacket. Hoods always seem to get in the way for me. If it's cold out and my heads warmth, I'll put on a toque.

Comment

I just ordered the parka for a goof. Been needing something like that.

Comment

I had the one with the hood first, and loved it, but leaned into a candle in a bar, and it got pretty melted.

Picked up the one without the hood, and, there's nothing wrong with it, but if I had to do it again, would get the hood. It's surprisingly warm for such a light coat, and the ability to pack it down into a pouch for travel is great. I was surprised how much I liked them.
          Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
          Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
          --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
            I had the one with the hood first, and loved it, but leaned into a candle in a bar, and it got pretty melted.

Picked up the one without the hood, and, there's nothing wrong with it, but if I had to do it again, would get the hood. It's surprisingly warm for such a light coat, and the ability to pack it down into a pouch for travel is great. I was surprised how much I liked them.
            Thanks. Looking forward for mine to arrive. Did you size up? The reviewer is almost exactly my size. I would normally wear one size smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
              Thanks. Looking forward for mine to arrive. Did you size up? The reviewer is almost exactly my size. I would normally wear one size smaller.
              That's a tough one, because Uniqlo seems to be all over the map. I have a couple of their Tweed sportcoats from a few years back that fit me well in XS, some lightweight cotton sportcoats in S (normally a 38s), and most everything else I own from them in Small or Small/Slim (I've put on some muscle in the last year, and the Small/Slim's are JUST at the point where I would consider sizing up in the chest only).

I went Small in the ultra light down and it fits well.
              --Jason Isbell

Comment

That's a tough one, because Uniqlo seems to be all over the map. I have a couple of their Tweed sportcoats from a few years back that fit me well in XS, some lightweight cotton sportcoats in S (normally a 38s), and most everything else I own from them in Small or Small/Slim (I've put on some muscle in the last year, and the Small/Slim's are JUST at the point where I would consider sizing up in the chest only).

I went Small in the ultra light down and it fits well.
                We shall see. I am 5'7 150, usually a 38 short....would normally wear a small...and ordered medium.

Comment

Thinking about getting the jacket to wear at the hockey rink for my son's games. You guys think this jacket would be warm enough for something like this?

Comment

All this talk about Uniqlo down jackets has me seriously thinking I need to consider picking one up for our Canadian winters.

Comment

Originally posted by .brian. View Post
                      Thinking about getting the jacket to wear at the hockey rink for my son's games. You guys think this jacket would be warm enough for something like this?
                      If the indoor temp is at or above freezing, I think you'd be fine. With another layer underneath, you could probably go colder.
                      --Jason Isbell

Comment

If the indoor temp is at or above freezing, I think you'd be fine. With another layer underneath, you could probably go colder.
                        Great, thanks! I might end up giving it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                          We shall see. I am 5'7 150, usually a 38 short....would normally wear a small...and ordered medium.
                          I have a Uniqlo near work and their sizing is all over the place. Tried on a cashmere sweater in medium and it fit well but the medium merino wool sweater and flannel shirt I tried on were both too big. Did not try on the down jackets as I already have one of those.
                          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by .brian. View Post
                            Great, thanks! I might end up giving it a try.
                            Unless your rink is outdoors in a cold climate location - say Saskatchewan or Minnesota - you should be plenty warm, and a down coat might be serious overkill. Down is basically the most efficient insulation used in clothing this side of caribou fur and good luck finding a caribou fur jacket. There are grades of down and they don't specify the fill for this jacket but I'm sure it's warm enough for an indoor hockey rink. Even a standard 400 fill down jacket is warm enough to well below the freezing point (32 degrees F, 0 degrees C).

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                              Unless your rink is outdoors in a cold climate location - say Saskatchewan or Minnesota - you should be plenty warm, and a down coat might be serious overkill. Down is basically the most efficient insulation used in clothing this side of caribou fur and good luck finding a caribou fur jacket. There are grades of down and they don't specify the fill for this jacket but I'm sure it's warm enough for an indoor hockey rink. Even a standard 400 fill down jacket is warm enough to well below the freezing point (32 degrees F, 0 degrees C).
                              $60 right now. Ordered one. Will let you guys know how it works out!

Comment

Working...
                              X