Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is wearing a tuxedo for a wedding going extinct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is wearing a tuxedo for a wedding going extinct?

I am not married, but I would say in the last 6 or so years, 9 out of 10 people that I have seen getting married, are wearing some variation of a blue or gray suit, and not a tuxedo. This seems to be the trend for people I know irl and the online pictures that I have seen. Is the traditional tuxedo for a wedding going extinct, is this just a recent trend, or am I imagining all of this?

For my wedding almost 5 years ago, my groomsmen and I wore suits. I went that route because they could wear suits again instead of making them pay the same amount to rent an ill fitting tuxedo. Since then I have been to a load of weddings. I would say it is probably 50/50 on the groom wearing a suit vs a tuxedo. I think it may just be the current trend for a suit. A lot of people don’t have a need to dress formally in their life and a suit is already pushing it on the comfort level for the majority.

Comment

I wore a tuxedo at my wedding. The guests wore suits and other less formal looks. Looking back on it now I sometimes think it was a bit weird to have grooms wear something different from the guests.

I also think the rise of better, more affordable and “cooler” suits from places like SuSu make suits seem like a cooler option. Maybe it’s part of the “Mad Men made wearing suits cool again” cultural trend.

In the future, we’ll be able to date wedding photos by seeing grooms in new blue suits with walnut brogued shoes. My father wore a burgundy polyester tux and pink ruffle shirt!

Comment

This may just be what I glean from Instagram and Facebook but I feel like really formal weddings are becoming less prevalent in general. Seems like more stuff is happening in backyards or in barns or at adventure destinations....
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by sethtvaughn View Post
          For my wedding almost 5 years ago, my groomsmen and I wore suits. I went that route because they could wear suits again instead of making them pay the same amount to rent an ill fitting tuxedo.
          I think that is the explanation.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I got married last fall and am going to be in two weddings next year for all of them we are wearing suits instead of tuxes. I can't speak for the other weddings, but I know for myself that I just don't care for the look of a tuxedo - the satin just kind of looks bad imo.
            Also, with the current business casual work environments, I think that suits already feels formal enough to most people that there doesn't need to be a more formal step above the suit.

Comment

Echoing prior sentiments to say I think a big part of it is that modern weddings are far less formal than they once were, formal events themselves are now mostly the domain of the wealthy, and grooms don't want to make their groomsmen buy tuxedoes they'll likely never wear again. Some may mourn the days of tuxedoes as mandatory for weddings, but I like that couples are being more considerate of the financial strain a wedding can put on their guests.

Comment

The older tradition was the morning suit, which is rarely seen outside of England. The tuxedo is traditionally evening dress. I suspect the only reason it became fashionable to wear at weddings is due only to its formality, being the only formal suit most Americans are comfortable wearing. As cultural norms become less formal, the tuxedo at weddings is also on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxonus View Post
                  The older tradition was the morning suit, which is rarely seen outside of England. The tuxedo is traditionally evening dress. I suspect the only reason it became fashionable to wear at weddings is due only to its formality, being the only formal suit most Americans are comfortable wearing. As cultural norms become less formal, the tuxedo at weddings is also on the way out.
                  I love morning suits and I have one more or less (actually pieces I purchased used and put together so it looks like a morning suit, including tails)--but I only wear it to period costume events, like the Edwardian Ball. Also, once I wore it to work on Halloween. With a full on top hat as well.

But--yeah--I haven't see a wedding in years where people wear them.

And opportunities to wear them are far and far between.
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

My wedding is black tie optional. No wedding party, but if I had one I'd just request they all wear a black tux--but not a specific rental (or purchase). I pointed some of my family to decent rentals/decisions, but otherwise am happy if people wear something appropriate, whether formal attire or a suit.

I do generally think that the number of tux rental weddings is going down, which I think is a good thing. I see a fair bit of black tie optional (or at least groom/groomsmen in tuxes), but it's also due to being in a big city, etc. which will increase the rate.

Comment

Now that you can google "black tie is for formal events after 5pm" combined with the fact that I havn't been to a dinner based wedding in years, evening wear isn't being used as often. The standard now is to time the event around lunch.

Comment

I wore morning dress for my wedding last year, but wouldn't have considered a tuxedo in the day time. I agree for most weddings suits seem to be the norm now, especially with the continuing casualization of society. But I think black tie evening weddings are still decently prevalent. I'm not sad that the daytime tuxedo thing is being killed off though :P

Comment

Grooms in all of recent weddings I've attended wore 2-piece suit. But then, they are all on my fiancé's side, and they are mostly "rustic country" folks, and knowing how the grooms in those weddings dress outside their own wedding, them in 2-piece suit was a super fancy thing.

Comment

Ironically, I think in many circumstances, it may be a result of people caring MORE about what they wear. As people have said, if you really care about fit and style, then getting everyone to rent tuxes is not the way to go.

Although I did just go to a full blacktie wedding and reception and people looked great.

Comment

I don't know about others but I just wanted to splurge on a nice suit that I knew I'd wear hundreds of times rather than a tux which - outside of weddings - I've never actually worn, or had occasion to, at any other time in my life. Plus, my wedding started late afternoon in the summer so evening dress wouldn't have quite been appropriate as it was broad daylight and not officially evening yet. I didn't want the wedding to be that formal anyway. If I start regularly attending the Opera I might get a tux. I like the opera, but I've only been once a couple years back. Would love to go again. A suit was perfectly acceptable there, so I'm holding off on a tux purchase until we see whether I become a regular.
                              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X