Penny loafers: socks or no socks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penny loafers: socks or no socks?

I bought a nice pair of vintage Weejuns and was wondering whether to wear them with or without socks.

Sockless. Or loafer socks.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

+1 for sockless.

Comment

Just don't try to pull of some of these looks please: http://www.thestyleblogger.com/7986/shorts-dressed-up-down-featuring-townsend-smith/

AE Strands sockless???

Comment

True. The loafers look good sockless, the wingtips and monks, not so much.

Comment

loafer would be more versatile than boatshoe yes?

Comment

Certainly is dressier. I dunno which would be more versatile because they have different targets, in a sense.

Comment

I'd say a boat shoe is more versatile just because I personally feel more comfortable wearing them sockless. My feet feel too feminine right now in a sockless loafer. (Just personal preference though)

Comment

I guess I am the outlier here, but I wear my brogue wingtips sockless or with no-shoe socks all the time on the weekend. Same with the nubucks. I usually wear them with pants that are rolled a cuff to show the ladies a little ankle.

Comment

I find the whole sockless thing very feminine looking. Also I do hate having sweaty feet in sandals, can't imagine the whole foot sweaty.

Comment

*facepalm*

If you wear socks with loafers or sandals, you don't look more macho...you just look foolish!

Comment

Well, I'm not sure I agree about the loafers! I don't think that's a maxim by any means for older generations; I would say the norm seems to be socks with them, *particularly* with dress loafers, which I've only ever seen fairly fashion-forward people do sockless, and even then not always. For casual/driving loafers? I agree socks look kind of silly/out of place, but again, I was under the impression I was in the minority there!

Comment

If someone wants to wear socks, there are a myriad of shoes that ought to be worn with socks. No doubt. But if you want to wear shoes that are designed to be worn sockless (or like Greg says with loafer socks that are invisible), then loafers, sandals, and boat shoes are right there for you. To put socks on with them is just going in the wrong direction.

I don't think you're in the minority there at all.

Comment

I never said I wear socks with sandals, and sorry the strands without socks make me want to slap that guy so he cries like he should be in that photo. There is no excuse for that, boat shoes make sense as the imply you're around water.

Comment

I have more of a problem with the blazer/shorts combo. I'll go sockless with almost anything in the summer, but those kind of shoes require pants.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                              X