Best shirt to wear without a tie..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best shirt to wear without a tie..

So, no matter what shirt I try I cannot find one that has a collar that looks good under my blazers without a tie. I just tried the Banana Republic slim fit dress shirts, and those collars tend to collapse. I've had limited success with Jos A Bank believe it or not, but it's really hit and miss. I'd like the cost per shirt to be around $50, if this is even possible. Any suggestions? What have you had luck with? thanks!

TDurden, try spread or semi-spread collars in combination with collar stays. Collar stays are flat metal bands that fit into the slits in your shirt collars.

Comment

Thanks, bruschetta. I should've mentioned that I've been using Wurkin Stiffs and they tend to collapse some collars even more. Though, they also help on other shirts I've tried them with. And yup - I've gotten on the spread/semi-spread train. I just do not knowwhy I'm having such poor luck.

Comment

I swear by Brooks Brothers extra slim dress shirts with button down collars. They can usually be had for $30 to $40 in their Clearance section.

Comment

I don't understand - what, exactly, do all of your collars keep doing? I've had plenty of fairly cheap dress shirts whose collars behaved under a blazer! In my experience, spread collar ones tend to be the most trouble, and I use mostly point collar, but semi-spread should work fine, as well. Are you using collar stays? Seems like kind of a dumb question, but I'm not sure why this would be happening if you are! In any case, I guess I'd recommend Wurkin Stiffs (or some cheaper alternative - see the recent thread); they're intended to deal with just this problem.

Comment

Yeah - I use wurkin stiffs, and have tried a variety of shirts and collars. The collar basically goes limp. Even with wurkin stiffs, on some shirts, the collar just kind of droops down.

Comment

Seriously? Can you take a photo? I honestly can't fathom putting Wurkin' Stiffs in a collar and having it still droop - those magnets could keep a stroke victim's face from sagging (too soon?)! That said, as much as some people bad mouth them (myself included, when it comes to certain aspects), those around here that wear them will rightly tell you that 1MX shirts have some of the stiffest collars of any sub-$100 dress shirt. You know, provided you don't launder them. I've had ones stay pert without even having collar stays in; it's like they sew a carved piece of oak into the collar. Have you tried them recently? If so, it beats me! Maybe it's the fit of the shirts or the blazers, or some weird aspect of the sport coats you wear?

Comment

Working...
              X