Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best shoes for business and travel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Congratulations on the new job!

    And . . . We weren't even in the same ballpark. Still not. I typically wear a dress shirt and sports coat when I fly. I can't imagine wearing gum sole shoes with a suit. If I'm flying anywhere for more than two nights, I check my luggage. I don't mind the extra 15 minutes.

    As they say, different strokes . . .
    No, I completely understand! On my day to day, I would not wear the shoes I chose to fly with. They don't look nearly as nice as my other dress shoes. However, keep in mind the environment I was flying into. Dusty warehouse, muddy sidestreets, etc. I didn't mind wearing them because they would clean up quickly and be presentable enough. If they got trashed, no sweat.

    My travel, being international to hot places, would have made it too cumbersome to travel with a sports jacket. Perhaps if my travel was all CONUS, that would certainly be high on my list. Additionally, the fact that I was taking 5-6 flights within a 5 day business week made for some tight connections and some of these on airports I wouldn't necessarily trust to move my luggage quickly enough between layovers. Being nimble was important to me. It would've never been an "extra 15 minutes".

    The reality is that my situation was not a normal one. I wish I had gotten nicer, comfortable enough shoes (running thru an airport with crappy shoes is painful) that could have seen me thru, but that was not the hand I was dealt.

    If I have to travel now, it'd very likely be within the Continental US. You bet your left eye I'd be rising to the occasion!

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
      I can't imagine wearing gum sole shoes with a suit.
      I've worn Clarks with a travel suit, but I'm an under-paid government worker, and meetings in the Pentagon can involve a LOT of walking. :-)

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Sose View Post



        My travel, being international to hot places, would have made it too cumbersome to travel with a sports jacket. Perhaps if my travel was all CONUS, that would certainly be high on my list. Additionally, the fact that I was taking 5-6 flights within a 5 day business week made for some tight connections and some of these on airports I wouldn't necessarily trust to move my luggage quickly enough between layovers. Being nimble was important to me. It would've never been an "extra 15 minutes".
        Wow! That is some heavy-duty travel. I couldn't do it and stay sane.

        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by RSA View Post

          I've worn Clarks with a travel suit, but I'm an under-paid government worker, and meetings in the Pentagon can involve a LOT of walking. :-)
          Since the stay at home thing, I've sometimes worn my dress shoes on walks as long as 2-3 miles. Just because I miss them.



          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

            Wow! That is some heavy-duty travel. I couldn't do it and stay sane.
            It was pretty intense but I only had to do this between 6-8 times a year. So, 6-8 of my weeks in a year looked like this.
            Done with traveling for the foreseeable future - and quite happy about it. I'm enjoying my status and miles with my family.

            Comment


              #21
              I laughed pretty hard at this and definitely can relate. I work for the DOI. There is a definite pull it want to dress well to look professional but going out in the field in nice dress shoes when it’s 100 degrees and the terrain is rough doesn’t make sense.
              Originally posted by RSA View Post

              I've worn Clarks with a travel suit, but I'm an under-paid government worker, and meetings in the Pentagon can involve a LOT of walking. :-)

              Comment

              Working...
              X