Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best shoes for business and travel

Gang,

I travel for work and find myself needing to find a pair of comfortable shoes that looks great.

I’ve had some luck with cheap dsw shoes but I want quality that will last me more than a few months.

I also travel light. So I travel wearing the shoes I’ll be using with a suit the next day.

Looked at Allen Edmonds travel shoes but those are very poorly rated.

What options can you all recommend?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you looking for something in a loafer, that is easy on/off through airports? A lace up shoe? Price point? Color? You need to be a little more exact, as the options are pretty endless.

Comment

I try to travel as light as possible as well, and don't wear suits when I travel, but I can't get by with just one pair of shoes for a business trip. I need something much more casual for the airport (for instance this week for me it was Banana Republic Nicklas white leather) and an actual dress shoe for business (this week it was my AE Strands).

I suppose you could go with the Strand to wear to the airport with dark jeans, and then wear them with your suit.

Comment

I travel a ton for work. I have a three pair of really nice dress shoes I use - a pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeil wingtips in dark brown pebble leather, a pair of Brooks Brothers Cavalry chukkas in black grain, and a pair of Loake chelsea boots in smooth brown. All three have Dainite soles. All three have withstood rain and slush and snow. None are true formal dress shoes, but all look at least ok with suits and good with sportcoats/chinos. The Cavalry chukkas in particular take a nice shine and, when under charcoal suit pants, are very clean in profile. I got them for 1/2 price on sale. I still see them come up every year or so for half price, but mine are lasting very well so I haven’t bothered to get another pair.

When I am on travel I just wear my shoes every day. When I get home I give them a rest. So far, all are doing just fine.

Honestly, on-off speed is overrated. I don’t see the point in trading an extra 10 seconds dealing with laces for the other 48 or 72 or 96 hours of having the shoes. Chukkas and chelseas are easy in any case.

Hope this helps...
        Mark

Comment

I don't know where other people work, but wearing a chukka boot with a suit would be strange in the legal community in Los Angeles. People wear derbies and loafers with suits all the time, but I can't ever remember seeing chukka boots.

If you must only have one pair of shoes with you, and you want it to look good with suits, jeans, and chinos, AND be easy off at airports, I'd go with a loafer or monk strap. I'm partial to ox blood type colors, but you could do a mid-brown or darker brown.

If you don't like monstraps, than a loafer?

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Here's a beautiful monkstrap in a mid-brown from j.Fitzpatrick, on the pricey side at $440:

https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/...ut-museum-calf

AE St. John's are on sale for $359:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...kstrap&start=1

Nordstrom Rack has a bunch of Gordon Rush and Magnanni monkstraps in the $150-$200 range. I don't own any of these brands, but some friends of mine do and they are quite happy with them.

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/s...ort=price_desc

I love my Cobbler Union shoes and they make some interesting monkstraps:

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collections/the-monks
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Daniel Craig wore Crockett and Jones Tetbury chukkas with a grey suit in the opening scenes of Skyfall in Istanbul. Here are some pics at this link.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...igs-jokes.html

They basically look like really clean British derby shoes - you wouldnt even notice that they were boots unless you really looked...
            Mark

Comment

Get TSA Precheck and you don't have to take off your shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                Daniel Craig wore Crockett and Jones Tetbury chukkas with a grey suit in the opening scenes of Skyfall in Istanbul. Here are some pics at this link.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...igs-jokes.html

They basically look like really clean British derby shoes - you wouldnt even notice that they were boots unless you really looked...
                Okay, fine--if they are like that or like this, I'm sure they are good:

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...ucts/renoir-ii

But I'd still go with a monkstrap over a boot like that for a suit.

Comment

As you'll see below, I would only suggest oxfords with a suit, and I am not a fan of oxfords with more casual clothes. You seem to care about your appearance -- you're asking questions on Dappered.com, after all -- so here are a few options.

1 -- Break the dress code. Wear your oxfords with your casual clothes on the plane. It will not look good, but it saves you from carrying two pairs of shoes, and you will look proper in your suit.

2 -- Break the dress code 2. Wear wingtip bluchers on the plane and the next day with your suit. They will not look proper with the suit, but few will notice. But stick to a dark color. I often hear people commenting in the courthouse and work about how awful this new trend of light brown shoes/belt with navy suits (or even charcoal suits) is. Go dark brown so they don't stand out.

3 -- Up your game. Fly in a suit with your oxfords on. Not quite as comfortable, but you'll look professional on the plane and at wherever you're going to wear your suit the next day.

4 -- Pack more. When I travel for short trips (1-3 nights), I typically fly in jeans and boots, and I carry a pair of oxfords and a suit in my bag, as well as my running shoes and workout clothes. I have no trouble fitting all of this and my dopkit into a single piece of luggage that fits in the overhead bin. Unless you're trying to fly with nothing but a briefcase, this makes by far the most sense to me. I'm comfortable when I fly and can use these clothes for a casual night our, I have work appropriate clothes to wear when the time comes, and I have workout clothes so I don't get fat traveling all the time. My bag is still only 10 pounds or so and can go through TSA pre-check with no hassle.

What I would not do is find a one-fits-all shoe. Most "travel" shoes are ugly. They lose all sleakness trying to be comfortable, and they lose all casualness trying to be dressy. Travel shoes are the hatchback of the shoe world -- they look practical, but are unattractive and don't actually fix any of your problems.

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                  Okay, fine--if they are like that or like this, I'm sure they are good:

https://www.cobbler-union.com/collec...ucts/renoir-ii

But I'd still go with a monkstrap over a boot like that for a suit.
                  I agree with you. Just because Daniel Craig did it doesn't make it right. He also wore a Seamaster on a NATO strap with his black suit at the funeral in Spectre. It looked dumb, yet I continuously see people point to that to say NATO + dive is okay with a suit. I don't like chukkas with a suit, and I have never seen anyone in the legal community in any state in which I practice (TX, FL, GA) do that in court, at work, at depositions, or otherwise. If you're doing it with trousers, button up, and coat, go for it. But stick to oxfords with a suit.

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                  Get TSA Precheck and you don't have to take off your shoes.
                  This. I travel a lot for work, and pre-check has saved me more hours than I can count. Cut the line, no need to remove shoes or belt, laptop stays in bag. And it was only like $100 for 5 years or something. Worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post

4 -- Pack more. When I travel for short trips (1-3 nights), I typically fly in jeans and boots, and I carry a pair of oxfords and a suit in my bag, as well as my running shoes and workout clothes. I have no trouble fitting all of this and my dopkit into a single piece of luggage that fits in the overhead bin. Unless you're trying to fly with nothing but a briefcase, this makes by far the most sense to me. I'm comfortable when I fly and can use these clothes for a casual night our, I have work appropriate clothes to wear when the time comes, and I have workout clothes so I don't get fat traveling all the time. My bag is still only 10 pounds or so and can go through TSA pre-check with no hassle.

This. I travel a lot for work, and pre-check has saved me more hours than I can count. Cut the line, no need to remove shoes or belt, laptop stays in bag. And it was only like $100 for 5 years or something. Worth every penny.
                    I fully agree with these two statements. I travel 3 days a week and can easily fit 2-3 pairs of pants, 3-4 shirts, 2 pair of dress shoes, sneakers, workout clothes, underwear and boat shoes in my carry on. Plus my dop kit and a cpap (man I’m getting old!). I could pack less, but why? I like having what I might need with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post

I agree with you. Just because Daniel Craig did it doesn't make it right. He also wore a Seamaster on a NATO strap with his black suit at the funeral in Spectre. It looked dumb, yet I continuously see people point to that to say NATO + dive is okay with a suit. I don't like chukkas with a suit, and I have never seen anyone in the legal community in any state in which I practice (TX, FL, GA) do that in court, at work, at depositions, or otherwise. If you're doing it with trousers, button up, and coat, go for it. But stick to oxfords with a suit.
                      Well, this reminds me now. I know somebody who is a dresser/costumer in the film industry. A very nice young woman. She's about 25 years old. Her hair is dyed bright orange. She has a nose ring. And another piercing through her bottom lip. She mostly wears black and big clunky Doc Martin type boots.

She may know what looks good on a movie screen in regard to dressing people, but I'm not letting her pick out clothing or shoes for me. And her boyfriend does not let her do it for him either.
                      Last edited by mebejoseph; June 11, 2020, 12:14 AM.

Comment

What everyone is saying is some great advice, but your post makes it sound like you are asking for specific shoe recommendations.

Overall, if you want to travel with a lighter shoe that has good durability get some thing Blake stitched. It can still be resoled, but is more flexible and lighter than the equivalent in a good year welt.

Check out Ace Marks or Shoe Passion for some great Blake stitched options.

From a style standpoint. I love the look and feel of monkstaps. They function almost like a slip on but they can be styled up or down. Also, the ability to make a comparison to kids Velcro shoes for adults makes them a great choice.

Zac

Comment

Originally posted by zac10sim View Post
                          What everyone is saying is some great advice, but your post makes it sound like you are asking for specific shoe recommendations.

Overall, if you want to travel with a lighter shoe that has good durability get some thing Blake stitched. It can still be resoled, but is more flexible and lighter than the equivalent in a good year welt.

Check out Ace Marks or Shoe Passion for some great Blake stitched options.

From a style standpoint. I love the look and feel of monkstaps. They function almost like a slip on but they can be styled up or down. Also, the ability to make a comparison to kids Velcro shoes for adults makes them a great choice.

Zac
                          Another vote for monk straps.

If you go for blake stitched, a lot of people like Paul Evans, and if you get on their mailing list, they will send you codes for 40 to 50 percent off on a regular basis.

https://www.paulevansny.com/collections/monk-straps

Comment

Hi all!

I realized I never came back to thank you all for your advice and provide answers to some of the questions here.
                            I'll start by saying that I took up a new position earlier this year (pre-COVID) that doesn't require travel. This is great, being a family man, since I'll get to spend some more time at home.

So. What did I do?

I ended up with some gel soled shoes that were cheap, but not cheap looking. I can't remember the brand but I promise you they were about $50. They wound up being super comfy and didn't look bad at all with a suit. I also didn't mind if they got dusty while walking or wet while walking in the rain. They would take a quick shine from a shoe shine person easily no matter where I was.

Yes, I have PreCheck.
                            No, I didn't care if these shoes were loafers or not.
                            No, not all airports I would travel too had PreCheck so this wasn't as helpful (I was not clear that my travel was international in nature).

I used to travel to two countries in one business week, before returning to the States. Flight out early Monday morning, fly home Friday afternoon-evening. Hence why I wouldn't take more than 1 pair of shoes - I needed to be nimble.

As the travel was international, and sometimes I had to visit vendors in less than ideal locations (meaning, not nice indoor spaces but rather some warehouses, and other dusty environments) I cared more about comfort than anything else.

On these flights, I could fit everything I needed in a small cheap roller carry-on case, and an Aer bag for my laptop and work-related documents.

Here's what I would pack in my carry-on:
                            2 dress shirts
                            2 ties
                            1 navy blue suit
                            3 polo shirts
                            2 t-shirts
                            1 pair of shorts
                            6 pieces of underwear
                            5 pairs of socks
                            1 pair of flip flops
                            Dopp kit

What would I wear?
                            Lululemon ABC pants
                            Polo shirt
                            The pair of shoes I'd wear all week
                            Belt that would go with the shoes and I would wear with the suit as well

Your mileage WILL vary, but this 100% worked for me. I would travel light and be very nimble but still look presentable at every meeting of my 60+ hour workweek.

I hope that anyone that finds this thread benefits from the comments within.
                            Thank you all.

Comment

Congratulations on the new job!

And . . . We weren't even in the same ballpark. Still not. I typically wear a dress shirt and sports coat when I fly. I can't imagine wearing gum sole shoes with a suit. If I'm flying anywhere for more than two nights, I check my luggage. I don't mind the extra 15 minutes.

As they say, different strokes . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X