Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of replica Rolex,Tag Heuer, Omega etc.?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of replica Rolex,Tag Heuer, Omega etc.?

They're obviously are websites that must have had permission to sell these coveted(and expensive) watches. I called a few of these websites and they used the term licensed or dealers. So, I guess the question is...would you buy a replica Rolex, used real Rolex(still expensive) or wait to hit the lottery? Again, I found this strange that companies would allow this but what do I know?

It's hard to tell what you are even asking in terms of used vs. new vs. authorized dealer vs. grey market vs. counterfeit.

Counterfeits are illegal. Homages are legal but whether it's in good taste to wear a watch that is openly copying an original design is subjective. The fact that online dealers are selling luxury watches they aren't authorized by the manufacturer to sell does not mean they are counterfeits - it just means they are "grey market" dealers, i.e. they acquire their stock legally, though not necessarily directly from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer is not going to warrant them. Most grey market dealers, like JomaShop, offer their own warranty instead.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by joekono View Post
      They're obviously are websites that must have had permission to sell these coveted(and expensive) watches. I called a few of these websites and they used the term licensed or dealers. So, I guess the question is...would you buy a replica Rolex, used real Rolex(still expensive) or wait to hit the lottery? Again, I found this strange that companies would allow this but what do I know?
      Replica - To me, this means fake or counterfeit. (i.e., a not-Rolex that says "Rolex" on the dial) No, I would not. I know where to find them, but I would definitely not buy them. Illegal, immoral, and not for me.

Homage - OK by me. Steinhart, NTH, or even a cheapie chinese brand is better than a fake watch. And you don't have to pretend that it is real; the brand is right on the dial.

Used Rolex - absolutely!

Licensed dealers / gray market like jomashop - Maybe for a watch under $1000, but not a Rolex. I would prefer the manufacturers warranty for a Rolex or Omega.

Lottery - I do not play, so can not win.

Comment

Never.

Comment

Would I buy a fake Rolex? Nope.

Would I buy an homage? Such as an Invicta? Certainly. I did so because I wanted to know if I'd like the look of the watch on my arm and if I wanted to take the plunge and invest in the real thing. The Invicta was a great watch and I only sold it because I wasn't wearing it and wanted someone else to benefit from the watch.

Really though it is up to you. Look at the reasons you're buying the watch. Will it make you happy when you look down on your wrist and see it there? Because really that's all that matters.
          Last edited by DocDave; October 16, 2018, 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. I would never buy a knockoff but LesserBlackDog you explained it like a college professor so now I understand what's going on in the watch world. Thanks . carlitos I agree with you and I'm going to go used Rolex or jomashop. Play the lottery sometimes "Ya gotta be in it to win it". Haha. DocDave and greyone. thanks too for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by carlitos View Post
              Replica - To me, this means fake or counterfeit. (i.e., a not-Rolex that says "Rolex" on the dial) No, I would not. I know where to find them, but I would definitely not buy them. Illegal, immoral, and not for me.

Homage - OK by me. Steinhart, NTH, or even a cheapie chinese brand is better than a fake watch. And you don't have to pretend that it is real; the brand is right on the dial.

Used Rolex - absolutely!

Licensed dealers / gray market like jomashop - Maybe for a watch under $1000, but not a Rolex. I would prefer the manufacturers warranty for a Rolex or Omega.

Lottery - I do not play, so can not win.
              This is close enough to my opinion that I am too lazy to make any differentiating distinctions. Well said

Comment

At least for me ... fake, never. I cannot see the appeal of trying to lie to people that I can afford that watch and its not something earned.

Homage ... not for me. Similar to fake but I am not trying to misrepresent I can afford or have a Rolex. I know some may just like the designs but at least for me I attribute the design to the brand.

Used ... no issues. For something like a watch they will take some beating from scratches and the like so buying one that has had the initial depreciation knocked off, has some character, and as long as from a reputable dealer no concerns.

Gray market. I did it for my Baume Mercier. But I think as mentioned when playing in the Rolex or other major brand market if you can afford to play in that game, then it would be worth it to spend the slight bit extra to buy from a licensed dealer with manufacturer warranty. I've been tempted by a Rolex or two on Joma but I'd probably go from a reputable dealer unless they were up charging 10% or more. Then I'd have to debate.

Comment

I'd recommend a used Rolex vs. Joma if you're buying a fairly new model -- the Rolex warranty is long enough (5 years) that you can get real value even in a year or 2 old watch. The key for enjoying this is making sure the initial purchase was legit.

For other brands, a grey market may be easier to swallow as their manu warranties don't last that long (1-3 years) and you're fairly unlikely to have something break during that time period.

I definitely trend toward buying new from an authorized dealer or buying used with a manu warranty.

I won't go into the replica/homage/etc. part, as I'm just not a fan of either.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                    Gray market. I did it for my Baume Mercier. But I think as mentioned when playing in the Rolex or other major brand market if you can afford to play in that game, then it would be worth it to spend the slight bit extra to buy from a licensed dealer with manufacturer warranty. I've been tempted by a Rolex or two on Joma but I'd probably go from a reputable dealer unless they were up charging 10% or more. Then I'd have to debate.
                    The problem is when I see a JomaShop sale knocking down a Rolex or Omega 15-20%. They rarely have Rolexes for such a discount, but they certainly put some Omegas on 15%+ discounts semi-regularly.

Comment

Used-Absolutely All others-Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
                        The problem is when I see a JomaShop sale knocking down a Rolex or Omega 15-20%. They rarely have Rolexes for such a discount, but they certainly put some Omegas on 15%+ discounts semi-regularly.
                        Omega does not hold value well.

Rolex does.

And especially right now, you cannot even find SS Rolex sports models anywhere. Major premiums right now.

To answer the OP's original question: pre-owned from a trusted seller only for me.

Comment

Knock off? Hell no.

Homage? Eh, not my thing (unless it's the brand doing a homage to its own past model), but you do you and go for it if you'd like. Personally, I'd rather buy a cheap watch that's it's own thing (seiko peesage, orient Bambino, etc)

Inspired by? Sure. There's a difference between this and homage. Homage, to me, is a close copy but not labeled/badged as the original (eg., many invictas). Inspired by means it takes styling cues (eg., most dive watches take from the Rolex submariner).

Used from a certified dealer? Sure.

Grey market from a legit place like Jomashop? Sure.

Comment

I got a Folex in Kuwait back in 2006. Those 6 days it lasted before breaking were some of the fanciest ones of my deployed life.
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I was speaking to my local go to watch guy, he's a master European craftsman. He was telling me that because of CC machines, 3D printing, and CAD equipment, that fakes are getting harder and harder to distinguish from the real thing. It's getting scary out there, in my opinion, to buy anything except from the manufacturer, but that sucks because you have to pay a premium price. I wonder how many of these respected watch dealers are selling fakes that they believe to be real. Here's a decent article I came across awhile back on the market for these things.
                              https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/03/th...he-superfakes/

Comment

Working...
                              X