Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to Rebuy full Wardrobe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to Rebuy full Wardrobe

    Hi all -

    I moved recently, and my movers lost everything. I moved into a new apartment with a suitcase and that was all.

    I am going to need to rebuy almost an entire wardrobe. Over the past couple weeks, I've amassed ~$3,000 in a good variety of clothes, maybe a bit of a focus on fall. I am budgeting ~$15K - $35K on additional clothing expenses (defined broadly -- includes shoes, etc.).

    Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything from general to specific works.

    Most pertinent info:.
    • I'm tall, pretty lean, and pretty large (usually wear tailored/slim Large-Tall / 44L), so fit is always difficult and I typically get a lot tailored
    • I'd describe my standard style as business casual to slightly preppy; I sometimes like fun/flashy outfits and am okay with a few outfits that border on ridiculous, but overall I try to have some stylistic diversity. Really "big" plaids tend to look really good on me
    • I live in Manhattan and walk to work, so having a good mix of weather-appropriate clothes is very important - I sweat like crazy in the summer and hate the cold in the winter
    • I'm in my 30s and an exec, but my local office is startupy, so people wear everything from sweatpants/hoodies to 3-piece suits (but often manage to be stylish even when dressing down, since it's Manhattan)


    The good thing is that I can afford to be more purposeful, with a cohesive and comprehensive strategy. I had a few ideas:
    • Write out approximate quantities and types of clothes, with some specificity, and then aim in that direction
    • Never buy anything unless it's on sale or a good deal from a place that never has sales
    • Find the few lines that fit well OTR and focus on buying from there, on sale, and/or narrow in my M2M measurements, and start by ordering an item or two from ~10 places and seeing what fits best
    • See if any tailors or retailers will negotiate discounts based on bulk purchases


    Any other thoughts? Any suggestions on suit brands between SuitSupply (where I'll typically need separates), Oliver Wicks, KnotStandard, Black Lapel, Indochino, etc.?

  • #2
    Originally posted by MyNameIsNotSam View Post
    Hi all -

    I moved recently, and my movers lost everything. I moved into a new apartment with a suitcase and that was all.

    I am going to need to rebuy almost an entire wardrobe. Over the past couple weeks, I've amassed ~$3,000 in a good variety of clothes, maybe a bit of a focus on fall. I am budgeting ~$15K - $35K on additional clothing expenses (defined broadly -- includes shoes, etc.).

    Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything from general to specific works.

    Most pertinent info:.
    • I'm tall, pretty lean, and pretty large (usually wear tailored/slim Large-Tall / 44L), so fit is always difficult and I typically get a lot tailored
    • I'd describe my standard style as business casual to slightly preppy; I sometimes like fun/flashy outfits and am okay with a few outfits that border on ridiculous, but overall I try to have some stylistic diversity. Really "big" plaids tend to look really good on me
    • I live in Manhattan and walk to work, so having a good mix of weather-appropriate clothes is very important - I sweat like crazy in the summer and hate the cold in the winter
    • I'm in my 30s and an exec, but my local office is startupy, so people wear everything from sweatpants/hoodies to 3-piece suits (but often manage to be stylish even when dressing down, since it's Manhattan)


    The good thing is that I can afford to be more purposeful, with a cohesive and comprehensive strategy. I had a few ideas:
    • Write out approximate quantities and types of clothes, with some specificity, and then aim in that direction
    • Never buy anything unless it's on sale or a good deal from a place that never has sales
    • Find the few lines that fit well OTR and focus on buying from there, on sale, and/or narrow in my M2M measurements, and start by ordering an item or two from ~10 places and seeing what fits best
    • See if any tailors or retailers will negotiate discounts based on bulk purchases


    Any other thoughts? Any suggestions on suit brands between SuitSupply (where I'll typically need separates), Oliver Wicks, KnotStandard, Black Lapel, Indochino, etc.?

    Extremely sorry to hear this. Were you able to get any compensation from the moving company? If not, I would trash the company on BBB, Yelp, etc. I have simply never heard of a moving company losing things, much less your entire wardrobe.

    Bonobos is having a great sale right now. Also, Spier and Mackay is debuting many new items for fall and winter. They are my go to for suits, work clothes.

    Comment


    • #3
      I assume you mean 1.5 to 3.5k not 15-35K?

      Comment


      • #4
        Justin Fitzpatrick just opened a store in Manhattan.

        I suggest a visit to try some of his shoes. I love mine. By appointment only.


        https://us.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/pages/our-showrooms

        l'm tall and fairly trim as well. I'm usually a 43L. If you need a couple of suits, you can almost always find some Brooks Brothers Regent fit on sale on a 2 for 1 on their website--which works out to about $1200 for both. I like mine a lot.
        Last edited by mebejoseph; October 15th, 2018, 11:19 AM.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
          I assume you mean 1.5 to 3.5k not 15-35K?
          I don't think so. He's said he's already spent $3,000.

          Well, maybe you're right. But you're ruining my fantasy. I've been sitting here for the last 15 minutes fantasizing what I'd buy if I had $30,000 to spend on a new wardrobe.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
            I don't think so. He's said he's already spent $3,000.

            Well, maybe you're right. But you're ruining my fantasy. I've been sitting here for the last 15 minutes fantasizing what I'd buy if I had $30,000 to spend on a new wardrobe.
            Man I cannot fathom spending that much. Although I assume if I calculated what I’ve spent maybe it’s not too far off? Just if I had 15-30k sitting around the last thing I’d consider is spending all of that on clothes when it seems there are a lot of deals to be had etc.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd probably go pretty streamlined if I had to start all over again. 2-3 suits (dark blue and dark grey), 3-5 sportcoats (dark blue, dark grey, brown), 2-3 grey trousers, a dozen shirts in blue and white, a dozen ties (mostly grenadines and foulards), grey and khaki chinos, jeans, long- and short-sleeved t-shirts, a smattering of appropriate outerwear. Black dress shoes, brown dress shoes, work boots, sneakers, boat shoes.

              In my fantasy alternate life where I'm even more eccentric than I am in reality, I wear blue suits exclusively regardless of the occasion. Maybe I would indulge that weirdness for a bit.
              Ben

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                I'd probably go pretty streamlined if I had to start all over again. 2-3 suits (dark blue and dark grey), 3-5 sportcoats (dark blue, dark grey, brown), 2-3 grey trousers, a dozen shirts in blue and white, a dozen ties (mostly grenadines and foulards), grey and khaki chinos, jeans, long- and short-sleeved t-shirts, a smattering of appropriate outerwear. Black dress shoes, brown dress shoes, work boots, sneakers, boat shoes.

                In my fantasy alternate life where I'm even more eccentric than I am in reality, I wear blue suits exclusively regardless of the occasion. Maybe I would indulge that weirdness for a bit.
                So, with you it would $5,000 or less for the clothing, with $25,000 on watches, yes?
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                  So, with you it would $5,000 or less for the clothing, with $25,000 on watches, yes?


                  Ben

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MyNameIsNotSam View Post
                    Any other thoughts? Any suggestions on suit brands between SuitSupply (where I'll typically need separates), Oliver Wicks, KnotStandard, Black Lapel, Indochino, etc.?
                    A heads-up on Indochino: it's all polyester linings. They always lined their pants in poly, and last year stopped offering Bemberg as an option for jackets.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      15k....

                      I'd be buying multiple Suit Supply, get them tailored(including pants)
                      Going Custom Dress shirts that fit properly (10) of them total
                      5 Various dress pant shades, Suitsupply or Spier & Mackay
                      2 Jeans
                      3 casuals (Chinos)
                      4 Sweaters
                      3 Odd Vest
                      Ties if you wear them i'd aim for 10




                      Trench Coat
                      Bridge Coat
                      Pea Coat
                      Spring SUmmer


                      Black, walnut, red mahogany/other fun not over the top colour, dark brown and two pairs of dress boots of choice in brown and black

                      Various Slide belts to match

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MyNameIsNotSam View Post
                        • I'd describe my standard style as business casual to slightly preppy; I sometimes like fun/flashy outfits and am okay with a few outfits that border on ridiculous, but overall I try to have some stylistic diversity. Really "big" plaids tend to look really good on me


                        Or these burnished monk straps:

                        Or too flashy?
                        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          With that budget, I would take a look at The Armoury https://thearmoury.com/

                          as well as Proper Cloth and Kamakura for shirts

                          maybe Leffot for shoes

                          would consider checking out Articles of Style for a suit

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MyNameIsNotSam View Post
                            Hi all -

                            I moved recently, and my movers lost everything. I moved into a new apartment with a suitcase and that was all.

                            I am going to need to rebuy almost an entire wardrobe. Over the past couple weeks, I've amassed ~$3,000 in a good variety of clothes, maybe a bit of a focus on fall. I am budgeting ~$15K - $35K on additional clothing expenses (defined broadly -- includes shoes, etc.).

                            Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything from general to specific works.

                            Most pertinent info:.[LIST][*]I'm tall, pretty lean, and pretty large (usually wear tailored/slim Large-Tall / 44L), so fit is always difficult and I typically get a lot tailored[*]I'd describe my standard style as business casual to slightly preppy; I sometimes like fun/flashy outfits and am okay with a few outfits that border on ridiculous, but overall I try to have some stylistic diversity. Really "big" plaids tend to look really good on me[*]I live in Manhattan and walk to work, so having a good mix of weather-appropriate clothes is very important - I sweat like crazy in the summer and hate the cold in the winter[*]I'm in my 30s and an exec, but my local office is startupy, so people wear everything from sweatpants/hoodies to 3-piece suits (but often manage to be stylish even when dressing down, since it's Manhattan)[*]
                            You live in Manhattan, large plaids work for you, and fun/flashy outfits are fine. I'd suggest you check out JC&RT and their plaid shirts. Their shirts are limited run and inspired by anything from classic albums, literary classics, to The Peanuts. They have three fits, and you can arrange for a fitting in their studios which I believe are in Brooklyn. I have five of their shirts, and get compliments on them every single time I wear them. And because they are limited, you don't see yourself coming and going.

                            They also engineer their shirts to create as little waste as possible. They actually digitally print the exact pattern piece, ensuring plaids match and are symmetrical, eliminating the waste inherent in trying to match patterns on a large bolt of plaid fabric. The tailored details reflect Jeffrey and Robert's family history, since both are grandsons of tailors.

                            A few shirts like theirs, will help make your wardrobe unique, and yet work well with the suggestions you are getting from others.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'd probably stop by Brooks Brothers and then lease an M5.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X