Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peacoat suggestions

Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a new peacoat this year and would like to shop around before it get's too cold out. It get's down into the 20's 30's regularly where I live so I need something relatively warm.

I'd really like to find a traditional looking, slim fitting, navy peacoat for under $350. I like the way the J Crew dock peacoat looks online, but some of the reviews say it seems to fit a bit "boxy". It's also not in stock in navy at the moment.

Does anyone have experience with the J Crew peacoat? How did it fit?

Or, are there any other places/brands I should look into as an alternative?

Originally posted by abh159 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a new peacoat this year and would like to shop around before it get's too cold out. It get's down into the 20's 30's regularly where I live so I need something relatively warm.

I'd really like to find a traditional looking, slim fitting, navy peacoat for under $350. I like the way the J Crew dock peacoat looks online, but some of the reviews say it seems to fit a bit "boxy". It's also not in stock in navy at the moment.

The Billy Reid Bond Peacoat gets universal praise. It's a bit pricier, though. I see it listed for $695 regular price on the first couple of google results. But I've seen it go on major discount in the past -- almost always listed on the Dappered home page when it does.

Comment

From a quick search:

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...hlight=peacoat

Comment

It isn't out right now, but Bonobos typically has a peacoat each fall/winter season. I got mine as part of an end-of-season sale and it hit all the right notes for me. YMMV on fit, plus who knows if they'll spice it up this year, keep it traditional, etc. (or jack the price up!).

Comment

Schott.

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/navy-peacoat.htm

Comment

Hey Guys,

The dock peacoat has a peculiar fit that is a bit hourglass-shaped. It's perfectly tailored at the chest and waist (and is even quite trim in the shoulders and biceps), and then it flares out widely at the hips. It's a pretty feminine look, and it's surprising why they haven't fixed this cut.

Comment

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
              The dock peacoat has a peculiar fit that is a bit hourglass-shaped. It's perfectly tailored at the chest and waist (and is even quite trim in the shoulders and biceps), and then it flares out widely at the hips. It's a pretty feminine look, and it's surprising why they haven't fixed this cut.
              Their Ludlow jackets fit me that way. That's why I've never been a fan.

Comment

Anyone had any luck with their local Army/Navy surplus?

The Bonobos might be worth a look though...

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  Anyone had any luck with their local Army/Navy surplus?

The Bonobos might be worth a look though...

Based on my experience, the key word there is “local.” I’ve found the sizing on military surplus goods to be, um, generous. So, you want to be able to try it on before you buy. Also, I think if you look, you can find better quality at a better price elsewhere for most items.

I picked up this in Navy the day after Christmas 2017 for $99. I’ve been happy with it.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michael...eacoat/3815683

I am a fan of Billy Reid (at least his stuff from 8-10 years ago; his recent collections haven’t been for me) and his Bond peacoat, but I could not justify the extra $600. Believe me, I tried.

Comment

I owned a peacoat that I bought from BR. I hardly wore the thing and ended up giving it away. Now all this talk of peacoats has me thinking I need to pick one up again. And making matters even more confusing is the link that [MENTION=17169]caktaylor[/MENTION] shared to Nordy's has the peacoat on sale. Plus with winter on the way here it's kind of tempting to pick it up.

Comment

I'm liking the way that Bonobos one looks in the picture and I've always had positive experiences with their clothes. Luckily I live in a city that has a Bonobos store so I can try it on in person before purchasing it.

Any idea when they normally get those in stock? They are sold out of everything online and it doesn't even have it listed as an option in the jacket/coats section of the website.

Comment

I'm liking the way that Bonobos one looks in the picture and I've always had positive experiences with their clothes. Luckily I live in a city that has a Bonobos store so I can try it on in person before purchasing it.

Any idea when they normally get those in stock? They are sold out of everything online and it doesn't even have it listed as an option in the jacket/coats section of the website.
                        I'd imagine they'll have a new version in the next iteration of Fall collection (they've done some lighter wear new arrivals, but nothing heavy yet), so would anticipate pretty soon.

Comment

I own the J.Crew Dock peacoat. It's very warm. I'm only 5'8", and it ends below my tuchas. This is a good thing because I like to keep my tuchas warm. I never understood peacoats cut to end at the waist. Anyway, I see what people are saying about it flaring out a bit. It does. But I don't think it creates a feminine look. In fact, it makes it so I can walk without the coat being too constricting. I bought mine second hand on Poshmark. I just looked, and there are a handful available now under $150. Good luck!
                          instagram.com/cutandbasted
                          cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                            I owned a peacoat that I bought from BR. I hardly wore the thing and ended up giving it away. Now all this talk of peacoats has me thinking I need to pick one up again. And making matters even more confusing is the link that [MENTION=17169]caktaylor[/MENTION] shared to Nordy's has the peacoat on sale. Plus with winter on the way here it's kind of tempting to pick it up.
                            My work here is done.

Comment

J. Crew also had an earlier peacoat called the Bayswater that doesn't flare out like the Dock. It can be found on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                              X