Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peacoat suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    [MENTION=17169]caktaylor[/MENTION] buddy you have no idea. I may just end up buying a peacoat from Nordy's as a) the price is right and b) maybe just maybe I'll end up wearing it this time.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Paddington View Post
      The Billy Reid Bond Peacoat gets universal praise. It's a bit pricier, though. I see it listed for $695 regular price on the first couple of google results. But I've seen it go on major discount in the past -- almost always listed on the Dappered home page when it does.
      It looks like eastdane.com has the Billy Reid Bond peacoat in stock and on sale through Sunday (part of a site-wide sale) at 25 percent off. East Dane is owned by Amazon, so you may be subject to sales tax on the order. But, if you are a Prime member, then you get 3 day shipping.

      https://www.eastdane.com/bond-peacoa...&colorId=12560

      Comment


        #18
        I found an excellent Filson wool peacoat at Nordstrom Rack last year for a song. Then I ended up losing a bunch of weight and now it's enormous on me. Is it possible, or even worth it, to have a wool peacoat tailored?

        Comment


          #19
          Wow. That Billy Reid peacoat comes in at $900 CAD before any kind of discount. Yikes! Definitely too rich for my blood.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by abh159 View Post
            It get's down into the 20's 30's regularly where I live so I need something relatively warm.
            i don't mean to be a little too sassy about this, but would you seriously think about that one?

            when it's 20 degrees in boston in the winter, we put a sweater on.


            a peacoat might well overhshoot the warmness you need in your state.






            i highly recommend the Sterlingwear Peacoats. The correct model is very very warm. made in my home state, in beautiful Chelsea, MA.


            They are the only actual armed service provider of pea coats currently.

            They are not that much new, compared to the likes of Schott and Billy Reid, and quite nice. Different model start between $200-$400 Highly recommend the 100% WOOL models.

            Comment


              #21
              *picks a fight about who lives in the coldest place*
              Ben

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                *picks a fight about who lives in the coldest place*
                no kidding :-D

                i used to live in Orange County CA, and when it was 45 out, the locals would don their Beanies and Knit gloves like it was actually cold out. I could not wrap my head around it then, and i can not wrap my head around it now. It might have seriously contributed my view of OC people as boring and needy.

                Comment


                  #23
                  For what it's worth, I rarely wear my peacoat--even in NYC late fall / winter--because its often too warm when paired with winter clothing. Partially due to the fact that I'm rarely just standing around outside vs. walking (quickly! after all, its NYC) from indoor location to indoor location. YMMV, as to the peacoat you purchase and if you run hot or cold (I often run somewhat hot).

                  Comment


                    #24
                    So I logged on to the Nordies website figuring for $135CDN why not order the coat? Yeah, that was BEFORE shipping and handling and taxes and duties were added. Can you believe that all of those taxes add up to a little under half of the coat?

                    Umm yeah. So I won't be buying this particular peacoat anytime soon.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      So I logged on to the Nordies website figuring for $135CDN why not order the coat? Yeah, that was BEFORE shipping and handling and taxes and duties were added. Can you believe that all of those taxes add up to a little under half of the coat?

                      Umm yeah. So I won't be buying this particular peacoat anytime soon.
                      Come on, it’s only money.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                        #26
                        First one on today's sale list: https://dappered.com/2018/09/a-rare-...sales-handful/

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by caktaylor View Post
                          It looks like eastdane.com has the Billy Reid Bond peacoat in stock and on sale through Sunday (part of a site-wide sale) at 25 percent off. East Dane is owned by Amazon, so you may be subject to sales tax on the order. But, if you are a Prime member, then you get 3 day shipping.

                          https://www.eastdane.com/bond-peacoa...&colorId=12560
                          I have a Billy Reid peacoat. I like it, but be forwarned that it is not lined at all, so it is not particularly easy to slip on. It is also cut close, so it works best over a shirt or maybe a thin merino sweater. And it is expensive. But a Walther PPK fits nicely in the handwarmer pocket and you can kill a Spectre assassin while wearing it...
                          Mark

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                            So I logged on to the Nordies website figuring for $135CDN why not order the coat? Yeah, that was BEFORE shipping and handling and taxes and duties were added. Can you believe that all of those taxes add up to a little under half of the coat?

                            Umm yeah. So I won't be buying this particular peacoat anytime soon.
                            There is this nice little number on "The Bay" for $100.

                            https://www.thebay.com/main/ProductD...at&N=302023689

                            I don't know if it is CAD or USD.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              [MENTION=17169]caktaylor[/MENTION] Hmm. The coat must have sold as the link you posted is now 404.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                                For what it's worth, I rarely wear my peacoat--even in NYC late fall / winter--because its often too warm when paired with winter clothing. Partially due to the fact that I'm rarely just standing around outside vs. walking (quickly! after all, its NYC) from indoor location to indoor location. YMMV, as to the peacoat you purchase and if you run hot or cold (I often run somewhat hot).
                                I've kind of found the same issue myself. I nabbed an amazing deal on a Thinsulate-lined J. Crew Dockside peacost last winter from some dude on Reddit and was all excited to wear it....but realized I'm usually indoors, walking to/from my car, or simply don't want to be bothered with hanging up a bulky wool peacoat. Maybe I just to layer better, hah.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X