Plaque Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plaque Belts

I'm generally partial to wearing plaque belts in situations where the belt is actually visible. I've always preferred the look of a simple, understated rectangle to the look of a normal buckle. Thing is, in the past eight months, I've been through two of them - both reversible. The first one was made by Kenneth Cole (I think), and the brown and black side literally came apart. I didn't even realize it was two separate strips of leather until it started to come undone. For the second one, I deliberately looked for one that was clearly one solid piece. I picked it up at Express during their winter sale for about $20, and actually got a ton of use out of it, as a) the brown side matched my go-to boots exactly, and b) it was a nice medium brown, rather than the dark, almost-black brown you get on a lot of reversible belts. But last week, the buckle just straight up came off when I was rotating it from one side to the other.

I've had enough! I've never had good results from reversible belts. Literally every single one I've ever owned as fallen apart. I've decided to just get two separate plaque belts in black and brown and not even have to worry about the false economy angle. Sadly, 90% of plaque belts I've found in my search are reversible. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands that make a solid, one-sided plaque belt, preferably in multiple colors? I have a couple of dress belts from Men's Wearhouse in black and cognac, so I'm specifically interested in a medium brown one.

pitseleh, the term "plaque belt" isn't familiar to me. Can you give us a link to one so that we know what you're referring to?

Comment

Oh, sure! Here: http://www.bananarepublic.com/products/res/mainimg/reversible-plaque-belt-black-brown.jpg

It's... basically a belt where the buckle is a metal plaque, usually plain, but often with any number of design flourishes, as well.

Comment

Nice. I used to have one, but it was reversible as well. Sorry!

Comment

this one = awesome

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/a...0878/30878.jsp

Comment

I like Ben's more. But I stumbled across this one and thought of this thread: http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-plaq...s&origin=index

Comment

The problem is, most brands that sell reversible belts are usually also on the lower tier of the quality spectrum.

Kenneth Cole may be my least favorite brand on the planet. The styling on most products is sub-par, the quality across the board is terrible and they generally attempt to sell themselves as a mid-tier brand. IMO avoid them at all costs. I'm not a huge fan of Express either, but I can at least say that they serve some purpose. They offer well fitting clothes and offer lower cost items that are more on the trendy / fashion side. Quality isn't the best, but you get what you pay for.

Personally, I would do exactly what you're doing...looking into two separate belts from higher quality brands. Look into end of season sales for brands like Brooks Brothers, J. Crew, Banana Republic (not factory), LL Bean, Orvis, Fossil, Allen Edmonds, Cole Haan.

Comment

Working...
              X