X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlejandroLopez
    replied
    I've never been a fan of Allen Edmonds as whenever I've considered purchasing from them I find myself shelling out extra for something better like Alden or Carmina. Now as I look to expand my shoe collection beyond a longwing, chukka, and heavy boot, I can't see myself opting for AE over less expensive brands like Meermin or the higher end brands I mentioned, doubly so given the change in ownership and downturn in quality and service.

I'd suggest making AE a thrift/eBay only option. AE is by far the easiest to get quality brand on the secondary market. Hell, there are some flawless Daltons on eBay right now for $200-300 that are calling my name and I wear the most popular size there is!

Long-term, I think AE will go the way of Bonobos as a brand that built a legitimate reputation on quality, service, and ethical labor practices before gradually cutting back on all three, leaving their price points unchanged, and pocketing the profit all while lying to consumers about their standards. As with Bonobos, getting sold to an entity that in no way reflects the brand's original reputation and values can only lead to AE continuing its downward spiral of moving production to the cheapest overseas factories and cannibalizing its own legacy with bloated product lines and price points that no longer match the quality of the product.

I suppose my point here is that as consumers in the decidedly niche market of quality menswear, we have rare and significant power on an individual level. If AE wants to keep gradually moving its production to the Dominican Republic while doing the bare minimum to have a "Made in the USA" label that indicates little in the way of quality, then we can tell them to kindly fuck off and take our business to brands that deserve to be supported by people invested in the standards and practices that go into the final product.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Welp. I have defended AE and given them the benefit of the doubt since they were acquired by Caleres. No more.

I ordered two pairs of shoes from them last month. One pair I kept, despite the fact they were slightly mismatched in color and had heavy toe burnishing that does not appear in any way, shape, or form in product photos. The other I returned three weeks ago. The return process itself was rather odd, as AE generated a UPS label for me in a browser tab, but did not email me a copy or otherwise mark it as being actually associated with my particular order.

UPS tracking data shows AE received my return on 10/24, almost two weeks ago. I received no notification from AE that either my return had been received/accepted or regarding my refund. If I had not thought to have the UPS store print me a receipt when I dropped the package off, I would have no way of knowing whether my return had been delivered.

I contacted AE customer service through their website a week ago to inquire as to the status of my return/refund.

I have received neither a response nor my money back.

So now I guess it’s time to take to the online reviews/social media to raise a stink, since it seems that is the only effective way to get the attention of companies like this.

I will not be shopping with AE anymore after this.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Allen Edmonds is now using Baker Mayfield as a spokesperson... as a Texas fan, it's really giving me pause. Seems like an overreach to be "cool" IMO.

At least we beat OU this weekend
    I had no idea who that was until I googled him just now.

Apparently everyone watches football too, according to AE.

Caleres really is just boning it hard aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    the first one you posted are the wrong diameter.

the second ones are right, but of course they're the wrong color.
    Wow, how'd you find that out? I didn't see any diameter information on the page. I haven't laced up the brown laces so I didn't notice if they're a different diameter or not.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    Originally posted by thedrake View Post
    It's not these? https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-ca...F817_color=818

Or these? https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/...F980_color=981

I bought a pair of both for my Long Branch boots and they're pretty nice.

the first one you posted are the wrong diameter.

the second ones are right, but of course they're the wrong color.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    I have but one small complaint, and that is that I've had a lot of trouble finding replacement laces for my daltons.

they don't have them on the site, and they don't stock them to sell either. they reccomended i look on some webpage that is a fucking super mess to look for new ones. LOL
    It's not these? https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-ca...F817_color=818

Or these? https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/...F980_color=981

I bought a pair of both for my Long Branch boots and they're pretty nice.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Yeah [MENTION=17354]mebejoseph[/MENTION] I am happy with my shoes/boots. For seconds I figure they're pretty good and will do just fine.

I've laced them up with bar lacing though as something different/new. Man what a pain to pull those boots tight.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    I have but one small complaint, and that is that I've had a lot of trouble finding replacement laces for my daltons.

they don't have them on the site, and they don't stock them to sell either. they reccomended i look on some webpage that is a fucking super mess to look for new ones. LOL

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    And the story continues . . .

Today one of my work colleagues received a pair of AE Fifth Avenue shoes after I recommended he try them and hearing another co-working extoll their virtues.

And guess what? One of the shoes had two small gouges in the leather on the back of the shoe. These were not seconds. They were sold as first quality.

Too bad--they looked really good in the dark chilli color.

But damn--I guess getting an AE shoe that doesn't have visible damage is the exception rather than rule now.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; October 30, 2018, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] --

I'd be happy with those as seconds. I think that's about what to expect.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    So there is a slight crease in the leather on one boot.

And some spidering on both sides of the other boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    With the recent Discover America sale, I decided to take chance on a pair of seconds from the Shoebank. For me, living in the Great White North it really is chance because of the shipping, duties, etc. Not to mention the restocking fees. My boots arrived on Friday and I thought I'd share some images of what makes them seconds. All in all, while the quality may have declined I am happy with my purchase since they are seconds. But had these passed off as first, I'd likely be a little disappointed. Images to follow in a second post as writing this much via taptalk would have been a pain.

Leave a comment:

• burban
    replied
    Originally posted by rdsmith3 View Post
    I hate the new coffee brown color. The regular/dark brown color has apparently been discontinued, at least for now.

The coffee color looks like something a senior citizen would get for his orthopedic shoes.
    Agreed. The old burnished brown was a much better choice, especially for dressier shoes, which are pretty much all I buy AE for.

Leave a comment:

• rdsmith3
    replied
    Originally posted by Davidvan61 View Post
    I have 5 pairs of AE shoes, a first, two seconds and two eBay finds. I really like their shoes and was excited to find such a good deal during the Labor Day sale and it was a disaster. Took them 7 days to ship the shoes. Once in hand, the McCallisters I ordered look like I welted the soles. Had perforations that were not cut out completely. I sent them back, received a pair of Fifth Avenues as a replacement and the leather was blotchy with clear imperfections like scuffs and scars. Sent me another pair of Fifth Avenues from their new “coffee” brown. When I think of coffee I think of dark brown, not the girly coffee that has more cream than coffee. The shoes were the latter.

Time to find a new brand.

I hate the new coffee brown color. The regular/dark brown color has apparently been discontinued, at least for now.

The coffee color looks like something a senior citizen would get for his orthopedic shoes.

Leave a comment:

• Shade
    replied
    Originally posted by Wes View Post
    Just saw the camo Higgins Mill. Gross.
    Didn't even know these existed until your post. Crikey!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X