Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clashing shirt and watch strap - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clashing shirt and watch strap - thoughts?

So this morning as I was getting dressed I looked at my watch and the shirt I had chosen for the day. I felt the two classed. But I figured to hell with it. It's just a watch. Who cares.

Then I figured it might make a good topic here. What about you guys? Ever give a thought to your watch straps? Or are NATO straps too casual for the office in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear the same brown leather strap everyday with a plain/patterned shirt or polo.

Comment

I'm a more conservative dresser. If I am wearing anything business casual or dressier, I wear a leather band. I have a walnut leather band and black leather band for one watch, and a medium brown leather band for my other watch. Between those three, I can come close enough to any shoes/belt combo I wear. No clashing there.

Then my casual watch always has a metal bracelet or gray NATO, so no opportunity to clash there, either.

Comment

That’s a very bold strap. I’m not sure if it’s too casual as we can’t see the rest of the outfit, but it does clash with that shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I wear a leather strap to the office every day but NATO on the weekends in a color that matches something im wearing. I have many that look just like that though.

Comment

Watches (and, by extension, their straps) are kind of a funny thing. We are so accustomed to admiring them on our wrists and posting close-up shots of their details that we forget how visually insignificant they are when viewed by others.

Zoomed in close, sure - a Bond NATO clashes with a striped shirt in quite a different color scheme. But if you took a full body shot with your camera, the watch strap would likely just read as “dark” rather than clashing. Personally I think it probably looks fine, though I tend toward solid NATOs in neutral colors like black, grey, or dark blue, especially if I’m going to wear it with business attire.

Most people who own a watch only own one, and it’s not necessarily going to match their clothes. I have a coworker, for example, who always wears a white dialed watch with a black leather strap despite the fact that he is generally in brown or tan shoes. And he’s by no means a poor dresser overall.
            Ben

Comment

I only give a thought that I won't wear a NATO strap to work. To me it's too informal with my other dress items.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                Watches (and, by extension, their straps) are kind of a funny thing. We are so accustomed to admiring them on our wrists and posting close-up shots of their details that we forget how visually insignificant they are when viewed by others.

Zoomed in close, sure - a Bond NATO clashes with a striped shirt in quite a different color scheme. But if you took a full body shot with your camera, the watch strap would likely just read as “dark” rather than clashing. Personally I think it probably looks fine, though I tend toward solid NATOs in neutral colors like black, grey, or dark blue, especially if I’m going to wear it with business attire.

Most people who own a watch only own one, and it’s not necessarily going to match their clothes. I have a coworker, for example, who always wears a white dialed watch with a black leather strap despite the fact that he is generally in brown or tan shoes. And he’s by no means a poor dresser overall.
                really good point!

Comment

Always have a grey nato strap laying around. Swap it on in cases like this, problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                  X