Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy a suit for casual wear?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Would you buy a suit for casual wear?

    So while surfing the SuSu website, I came across this suit:



    I like the suit. But it's more on a casual side and I work in a formal office. Suit and tie four days a week, although due to my role that's down to wearing a suit and tie two, maybe three days a week. So shelling out a lot of cake on a suit isn't a high priority for me.

    But I like the above suit. And the dude wearing it in the photo seems to pull off the suit in a casual way that makes me think I'd be able to pull it off outside of the office too. Although I thought the same thing about a JC blazer and I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn it.

    So here's my question. Is it worth shelling out money for a suit that a) might not be formal enough to wear in an office environment and b) I don't how often (if ever?) I'll pull it off in a casual setting.

    Cheers.

    #2
    Are those drawstring pants? I don't understand why they are making drawstring pants. I don't mind the elastic waist band so much, but I don't like the strings hanging down.

    For me, I prefer a sports coat or blazer for a more casual look.

    But if you like wearing a suit for a more casual look, why not? My wife likes it when I wear a slim cut suit with a dress shirt and no tie.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

    Comment


      #3
      I don't like. Drawstring pants? And a constructed jacket for that look?

      No thanks. Would look much better with a fully unlined unconstructed suit without drawstring pants. And no sneakers with a suit, just no. Suede loafers with no socks for that look? Sure. But not sneakers.

      Comment


        #4
        Good eye [MENTION=17354]mebejoseph[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17082]Hebrew Barrister[/MENTION]. I never caught that about the pants. And if they are indeed draw string, that pretty much does it for me. Not fan.

        Good input on the more relaxed suit wearing though.

        Comment


          #5
          Interesting article on wearing a suit that you like, a "happy suit" as the article describes it, even if the occasion doesn't require one:

          http://dieworkwear.com/post/17760561...our-happy-suit
          Last edited by TMann; September 9, 2018, 11:43 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            Good eye [MENTION=17354]mebejoseph[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17082]Hebrew Barrister[/MENTION]. I never caught that about the pants. And if they are indeed draw string, that pretty much does it for me. Not fan.

            Good input on the more relaxed suit wearing though.
            Glad to help spot that.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

            Comment


              #7
              I wouldn’t. To me my budget doesn’t support or get value out of the maybe one or two times a year I’d think to wear a suit in a casual situation. I think for those type of situations a sportscoat works better and I get more use out of.

              Comment


                #8
                I would personally shy away from the shiny look of the fabric. If it is that shiny in real life, it would seem that the factory just made a regular suit and installed a drawstring to the trouser waist.

                Comment


                  #9
                  A suit, yes. That suit? Not my jam. I was hoping to pick up one of the J Crew unsuits in the cotton/linen but the timing/pricing never worked out.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Domino View Post
                    A suit, yes. That suit? Not my jam. I was hoping to pick up one of the J Crew unsuits in the cotton/linen but the timing/pricing never worked out.
                    I have one of those. I like it so much I wouldn't have minded paying full price, although I didn't. It's super casual, stays very cool. It does wrinkle just by looking at it, but that's to he expected.

                    I've done the casual thing with it. Paired it with suede wingtips and a henley. Have also done it with boat shoes and a polo. Looks nice.

                    I also have one of the unlined linen sport coats from JCrew Factory. It's the exact same cut, and seems no poorer made. Think I got it on sale for like $60. Was a great deal. Recently wore it around LA in the middle of the summer. So definitely look at the JCF ones as well.

                    Sizing on both is super tight, if you haven't tried a Ludlow cut jacket yet. Definitely try it on as you might need to size up from your norm if you're used something like BB. I can take a 38-39 in more traditional cuts, but am a 40 in a ludlow. It looks great on me and the shoulders fit perfectly, but it did take the sizing up to get there.

                    The trousers are average sized I would say. Just get your typical trouser size.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Absolutely.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Domino View Post
                        A suit, yes. That suit? Not my jam. I was hoping to pick up one of the J Crew unsuits in the cotton/linen but the timing/pricing never worked out.
                        See, that's what I wanted too. An un-suit. So that's what started me looking in to other options because the JC thing never worked for me either. That's when I came across this green number. But I can't seem to find an unsuit that fits my budget and need.

                        I blame this post for my current interest btw: http://www.stayclassicblog.com/casual-air-travel-suit/

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have two of the unsuits and am liking them a lot. Just wore one to a wedding over the weekend, and the other to work today (although I wouldn't have if I had a client meeting or something similar).

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I wear suits plenty in my day-to-day life. I enjoy wearing suits but I also enjoy being able to wear something that’s not a suit on my downtime. I see no need for and feel no inclination to wear the so-called “casual suit” when a suit is not actually called for in the circumstances.
                            Ben

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                              I have one of those. I like it so much I wouldn't have minded paying full price, although I didn't. It's super casual, stays very cool. It does wrinkle just by looking at it, but that's to he expected.

                              I've done the casual thing with it. Paired it with suede wingtips and a henley. Have also done it with boat shoes and a polo. Looks nice.

                              I also have one of the unlined linen sport coats from JCrew Factory. It's the exact same cut, and seems no poorer made. Think I got it on sale for like $60. Was a great deal. Recently wore it around LA in the middle of the summer. So definitely look at the JCF ones as well.

                              Sizing on both is super tight, if you haven't tried a Ludlow cut jacket yet. Definitely try it on as you might need to size up from your norm if you're used something like BB. I can take a 38-39 in more traditional cuts, but am a 40 in a ludlow. It looks great on me and the shoulders fit perfectly, but it did take the sizing up to get there.

                              The trousers are average sized I would say. Just get your typical trouser size.
                              I have an un-suit too and noticed the same thing about the sizing. I've generally been a 38 short in the Ludlow fit, so that's what I ordered, and it was too short in the body. Pants fit fine though. I ordered online because I hit the code just right and it was only about $130 for the suit. Returned the jacket to a local brick and mortar store that had a range of sizes in stock and wound up exchanging the 38 short for a 38 regular. They are great summer suits. I wear mine at the office but don't plan on lounging in it on a regular basis. When I'm off duty I have no interest in wearing a suit or anything even remotely formal unless I'm going to an event that requires dressing up.
                              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X