Manpris haters--Napoleon complex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manpris haters--Napoleon complex?

So a few days ago I posted about shorts length, did a bit more reading, went to go try shorts on. I'm 6'4". Turns out after trying a lot of shorts on, shorts look f#*cking stupid on me.

My body is just long, and shorts look, well, terrible, because the contrast between my torso and my legs (in shorts) makes me look clownish.

The only shorts that looked decent on me were below the knee, some even approaching the calf. And I'm gonna roll with it. Hate away!

Eh, it's super common in Europe, so don't worry about it. It hasn't become Americanized yet, but it will. So you can be the one to start it.

Comment

You need testosterone, not shorter legs.

Seriously, tall people of all people can wear shorts that chop up their height. Don't be self-conscious about it.

Comment

Comment

You do you, but if it's causing you this much trouble maybe you should just wear pants. Plenty of folks do that.

Comment

6'4" here, and I find that shorts below my knee make me look clownish. Embrace the man thigh!

Comment

Napoleon wasn't short.

That's all I had

Comment

Honestly this sounds about right. Longer shorts for the taller guy and I can imagine having shorter shorts and being tall with a long torso might look strange. Calf length shorts may be pushing it though...

Comment

I'm with Deke -- 6'3 and prefer shorter shorts. Not ridiculously short, but definitely on the top of my kneecaps at least. I've never really noticed if I'm more torso or more leg, so maybe I'm pretty evenly split, which might help? I don't know.

Comment

I think part of it is that I think I'm long in torso. How long are you tall guys' inseams? I'm 6'4" but with a 34" or 35" inseam, depending on how the pants sit. My dad's a bit shorter but has a true 36" inseam.

Comment

Not sure on true sizing, but I usually go with a 32 inseam when I order non-dress pants. I'm also a 36" waist usually, so being filled out may have something to do with it too, if you're skinny.

Comment

All my life until last summer I had this association: Only females wear high heels, dresses and capris...Now more and more men are wearing capris and my brain and break the "feminine" association...

Comment

My dad is 6'6" and slim. He looks great in regular-length shorts (which end up hitting a few inches above the knee on him).

Tall guys in long shorts look disproportionate. Just look at the NBA players with their huge, baggy shorts. They look like they're wearing giant, billowy skirts. Manpris may be more fitted but they still look weird on any dude west of the Atlantic. Stick with regular shorts - embrace a little thigh showing. You will be surprised how uncomfortable "normal" (i.e. long) shorts feel after wearing shorter ones for a while.

Ben

Comment

Nothing like delving back in to 2012 to find a posting on manpris. With summer around the corner in my end of the world I thought I'd post a quick note saying I hope this trend dies and dies quick. Napoleon complex or not.

Comment

Working...
                            X