Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traveling for just 2 nights--and what can I wear with my black cashmere sports coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling for just 2 nights--and what can I wear with my black cashmere sports coat?

I am going to a friend's opening of his art exhibit in Manhattan next week (if anyone is interested in going, let me know and I'll post a link).

I'm just going to be there for two nights. I am usually a horrible over-packer, but I really want to try to go with just a carry-on duffel this time.

For opening night, I'm planning on wearing my black cashmere sports coat with probably charcoal wool dress trousers and an off-white shirt with some patterns. Maybe a pocket square for some color and my Cobbler-Union black/burgundy oxfords--after all, this is NYC, and I don't want to look like a farmer. But I'd like to be comfortable for the flight and I don't want to wear dress trousers and oxfords on the plane as well. For going through airport security, I'd like to wear slip-ons, and I only have walnut/tan monkstraps--I'm not buying anymore shoes right not, BTW.

If I pack that sports coat in a duffel bag, it's going to get so horribly wrinkled that I won't be able to wear it. So, I need to wear it on the plane. I'd like to wear something a bit more casual than dress trousers on the plane and I've never liked a black sports coat with jeans. I have chinos in khaki, black, and blue--no gray. Blue chinos with the black sports coat and tan monkstraps? I'm not sure that's a good look either.

Any ideas?

Or do you have a suggestion on packing the sports coat without it getting wrinkled? Please don't tell me to iron it when I get to the hotel. I'm horrible with an iron.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Pack the jacket. Here is how: https://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/

It's actually pretty easy to do and you can get the hang of it pretty easily. It won't get any more wrinkled then wearing it in those tiny seats. Maybe others will have a better suggestion but I don't know the best way to pair a black sports coat, to me it tends to look like an orphaned suit so unsure what pants would go best to avoid that.

Comment

It would look good with jeans. Or, might be a good time to buy a 20 dollar travel steamer.

Comment

cashmere shouldn't wrinkle that much...i usually pack my blazer

if wearing black up top, id opt for a much lighter shade of gray on the bottom, to offer more contrast. that will avoid it looking like a poor black suit.

and yes i agree with wearing it with jeans for the flight

Comment

I pack sport coats and never have an issue. Depending on the shade of charcoal, you want to stay away from people confusing it for a suit vs. 2 different items. Since this is an art exhibit, I would play around with colors...I doubt anything will look out of place.

Also, get Global Entry. If you have the cash for a cashmere sport coat and you are taking off your shoes...you are doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post

Maybe others will have a better suggestion but I don't know the best way to pair a black sports coat, to me it tends to look like an orphaned suit so unsure what pants would go best to avoid that.
            Originally posted by Scofield View Post
            if wearing black up top, id opt for a much lighter shade of gray on the bottom, to offer more contrast. that will avoid it looking like a poor black suit.
            Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            Depending on the shade of charcoal, you want to stay away from people confusing it for a suit vs. 2 different items.

Also, get Global Entry. If you have the cash for a cashmere sport coat and you are taking off your shoes...you are doing it wrong.
            Okay, don't worry--I never wear it with anything that makes it look like an orphaned suit. The fabric alone usually prevents that from happening, but I never wear it with black dress trousers. I have worn it with black jeans and I like that, but that limits me to black or maybe burgundy shoes.

As far as Global Entry, [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION], I only fly about three or four times a year, so I haven't invested the time yet. Also, apparently because I have some sort of a membership at the airline I usually fly with, it seems like I got TSA pre-check about 50% of the time.

But yes--I should do that.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
              Pack the jacket. Here is how: https://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/

It's actually pretty easy to do and you can get the hang of it pretty easily. It won't get any more wrinkled then wearing it in those tiny seats. Maybe others will have a better suggestion but I don't know the best way to pair a black sports coat, to me it tends to look like an orphaned suit so unsure what pants would go best to avoid that.
              Thank you. I'm going to practice that. Even if I don't use it this trip, it might come in handy in the future.

Comment

Khakis and tan shoes with a black jacket can work. Something like this, but I'd go with a blue shirt:

https://ca.lookastic.com/men/looks/b...irt-chinos/426

Comment

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
                  Khakis and tan shoes with a black jacket can work. Something like this, but I'd go with a blue shirt:

https://ca.lookastic.com/men/looks/b...irt-chinos/426
                  Hey, I like that. I didn't think I would--but I do. Thanks.

Comment

It's 92 degrees in New York right now. Supposed to be cooler for the weekend, but I'll not be wearing cashmere.

Comment

Yeah, I can't imagine wearing any cashmere in the summer in NYC, even on a cool day.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                        It's 92 degrees in New York right now. Supposed to be cooler for the weekend, but I'll not be wearing cashmere.
                        Originally posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
                        Yeah, I can't imagine wearing any cashmere in the summer in NYC, even on a cool day.
                        [MENTION=14298]theplayerking[/MENTION] and @Gradstudent79:

Well, this is a nighttime function. At an event like this, if you wanted to have a slightly sophisticated appearance for your clothing, what would you suggest?

Also, just wondering: If you were invited to a black tie event, would you not wear a tux because it's too hot?

I'm in the Los Angeles area, I wear light weight wool suits three or four times a week year round.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

Well, this is a nighttime function. At an event like this, if you wanted to have a slightly sophisticated appearance for your clothing, what would you suggest?

Also, just wondering: If you were invited to a black tie event, would you not wear a tux because it's too hot?

I'm in the Los Angeles area, I wear light weight wool suits three or four times a week year round.
                          I would wear a sports coat (or if I needed to a tux), I would just choose a more warm weather friendly fabric. If you think you wont be too hot in a cashmere sports coat, then go ahead.

Also, if you're worried about it getting wrinkled you could always just wear it on the plane. You could also try steaming it (which is much easier than an iron, which I wouldn't do with a sport coat anyways)
                          Last edited by Gradstudent78; September 7, 2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

I wear a suit or odd jacket every day including weekends, just not black cashmere in the summer. If you have a lightweight suit, I would wear that with a pocket square and no tie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Cashmere in the summer? A black sport coat?

You're a brave man.

Comment

Working...
                              X