Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DocDave
    replied
    I don't know how cold it gets in Chicago but I really like my JC Ludlow coat. It keeps me toasty warm here on the west coast and it stylish. Or at least I think it is stylish. That said if the coat does interest you, I'd look for some kind of temperature reviews/comments on the JC website to make sure it will meet your temperature requirements.

Leave a comment:

• christophe
    replied
    +1 for military surplus. I have a vintage (circa 1965) US navy peacoat that I was given by my father, who himself found it used at a surplus store a few decades ago. It has kept me warm in New England winters for several years now.

It's great because it's really versatile. Most tailored winter coats are based off military designs and proportions, so something like a peacoat or bridge coat won't look out of place with your nice clothes. At the same time, they can look great with casual wear. Look for thick, dense wool - the older the better - and you should be set.

Leave a comment:

• Dun
    replied
    Figuring out your base layers will also help when you do spend big bucks on a good coat cause you won't have to guess about the fit over an unknown number of sweaters.

Leave a comment:

• 77Pat
    replied
    Agree with the layering method.

I had a Schott Duffle Coat, and it was great for all except the coldest days https://www.schottnyc.com/products/m...uffle-coat.htm

I would usually wear a dress shirt with a v-neck sweater (gave away, since it was a little too snug for layering after the first winter where I started lifting...usually 40S in suits, had a Medium)

The hood helped with the wind, but I would still use earmuff (actually over the ear headphones usually)

I tried with regular overcoats, with similar results, although a scarf was needed, along with a quality hat.

Leave a comment:

• phucpholuc
    replied
    This doesn’t have as much to do with the coat as it has to do with retaining heat and staying warm on the coldest of a chitown typical winter day. Find stylish ways to cover your head ( face and ears possibly ) neck, hands and feet; heat retention priority in that order. For the coldest of days, no coat alone will be enough. For more temperate days, you’d be pleasantly surprised at what (coat) you can wear if you don the level of appropriate accessories.

Leave a comment:

• jefflibulls
    replied
    Thanks guys! A lot of good ideas! I gotta say I don't pay a lot of attention to base layers, especially the bottom. So that's great advise. Thanks also for the rec on S&M! Will definitely check that out.

Leave a comment:

• mobaxter
    replied
    A cashmere wool blend coat is another good option. Depending on the weather, you might need layers though.

Leave a comment:

• theplayerking
    replied
    Buy your coat in person or choose an online company with an easy (pre-paid) return policy. Wool overcoat fabric varies widely and it usually not clearly labeled. It's hard to know what thickness you're getting without feeling it.

Leave a comment:

• Flunky
    replied
    I definitely echo the layering bit - easy to get a decent pair of thermal leggings to wear under your pants, some flannel-lined pants, or something similar. Helps a lot with cold winds.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    I think warmth is hard to qualify per person. I am sure it gets colder in Chicago then I could tolerate but there are others that would find it suitable. When I used to stand outside for the train in DC, I would freeze often but also wanted something that look professional unlike the technical winter coats.

I purchased the S&M wool overcoat and am very pleased. I still layer and use a scarf, gloves, etc. but I find the jacket to be very warm and it's much better than some of the others in its price range I tried on from J Crew etc.

Leave a comment:

• julius12
    replied
    It really depends on the composition of the coat. You want something thick that's mostly or all wool. You'll need to layer too of course. Base layers top and bottom to wick away moisture from your skin (a light merino sweater or shirt can serve this function too), then a midlayer - light down jacket for dry days, or a fleece jacket when moisture is a risk (sweat, rain, snow), or a wool sweater when it's not too cold out.

None of that will be as warm as a real winter parka though.

Leave a comment:

• Domino
    replied
    Originally posted by Flunky View Post
    Personally, for a proper warm wool coat I ended up turning to military surplus since I didn't want to end up spending an enormous sum of money.
    Agreed. I got a Swedish Greatcoat that looks great, and for dirt cheap. And if anyone knows how to make a warm coat, it's gonna be the Swedes (or Russians). I did have to take in in a bit, but that wasn't a huge deal.

Leave a comment:

• Nandyn
    replied
    Originally posted by jefflibulls View Post
    Hello gents,

Long time lurker first time poster. I have a lot of respect for the knowledge that's on this board and would like to pose a question I've long wondered.

What's everyone's recommendation on a warm winter wool coat? I'm personally a big fan of the form fitting wool coat; but the ones I've come across have all been not warm enough for the icy Chicago winters where I live. I do own a parka for the coldest of days but I'm not a huge fan of the bulky look.

Do any of you gents have recommendations on a nice, stylish AND warm wool coat? Much obliged!
    One thing I'll add is that you'll want to think about warmth from the inside out. Very important hiking/backpacking principle that I apply to regular wear. Meaning, start with some good base layers first (actually start with a good meal as food/calories help keep you warm). In the winter I usually wear a base layer of merino wool top and bottom (people often neglect to keep their legs properly insulated) in the 200gsm weight range (about midweight). Look to brands like Smartwool, ibex, Patagonia, REI, stoic, etc. They're super low maintenance and can just be thrown in the wash like regular clothes. And since it's wool, it won't get stuffy even once you get indoors and take off that coat. Then you can layer on something like a Patagonia nanopuff or similar low profile quilted/insulated jacket or vest (there are several options that also use more normal looking fabrics/colors if you shop around) then layer on that wool coat.
    Last edited by Nandyn; September 6, 2018, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Flunky
    replied
    Personally, for a proper warm wool coat I ended up turning to military surplus since I didn't want to end up spending an enormous sum of money. Make sure you know your measurements if you try to get one online, and be mindful of the cut if you don't want a bulky look.

That said, there are some good down coats out there that avoid looking too bulky. When it gets really cold for me (which may well be normal up for Chicago; I'm in the DC area) I end up wearing a Marmot Njord coat. I wish it was a tad longer, but aside from that it's quite well designed and not too bulky looking.

Leave a comment:

• jefflibulls
    started a topic Warm Wool Coat Recommendations

Warm Wool Coat Recommendations

Hello gents,

Long time lurker first time poster. I have a lot of respect for the knowledge that's on this board and would like to pose a question I've long wondered.

What's everyone's recommendation on a warm winter wool coat? I'm personally a big fan of the form fitting wool coat; but the ones I've come across have all been not warm enough for the icy Chicago winters where I live. I do own a parka for the coldest of days but I'm not a huge fan of the bulky look.

Do any of you gents have recommendations on a nice, stylish AND warm wool coat? Much obliged!
Working...
X