Suede Wholecuts : Menswear Shoe Mullet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suede Wholecuts : Menswear Shoe Mullet?

I saw these a few days ago, and then today's post reminded me about the CT Suede Wholecut in brown.

Does anyone else thing that these are mixing two dramatically different looks in one? When I think wholecut, I think of something very formal, refined, elegant. But when I think of suede, especially in a brown, I think of something much more casual and relaxed. Something more like a derby or a wingtip.

I'm sure someone out there likes them, but it seems like a chino tux to me. Combining two things that don't really fit.

Or do you all disagree?

Wholecuts strike me as too eccentric to be truly “formal.” Most people wouldn’t wear wholecuts to a funeral or a job interview, for example, and even with true “formalwear” wholecuts are outside the “rule” of slippers/pumps or patent leather oxfords. Because they are a bit of an odd, assertively style-conscious shoe to begin with, IMO you can play with them a bit without fretting about dissonance.

Plus I think the richness of suede, like velvet, can actually lend itself to a certain sense of relaxed luxury... it isn’t an exclusively casual material. A pair of sleek chukka boots in dark chocolate suede is just as suit-worthy as the same shoe in calfskin would be, for example.
    Ben

Comment

Surprisingly, I think these actually look sweet. I usually dislike regular whole cuts because they just don't look right, but I think in suede these actually work really well. Then again, I'm a huge suede shoe fan.

Comment

Whole cuts seem more formal to me as they are pretty plain and do not draw attention to the shoes themselves. I tend to only wear mine more formally and do think suede is an odd choice but people wear closed lacing shoes (AE Strands for one) with jeans so what do I know?

Comment

Whole cuts are fashion forward anyway, so why not a pair in suede.

Comment

I have a pair in blue suede and they are my favorite shoes. I can't wear them often but you can't wear spectators often either. As for the mullet factor, wholecuts are about equal to wingtips in formality and just like wingtips, suede brings them down a notch so IMO no mashup exists just because they are suede. I wear mine with sports coats and dress pants and would also wear them with a non-CBD suit if I had one.

Comment

I kind of like them. I think they add an interesting dimension to what usually seems like a boring shoe.
              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
              X