Rubber Toppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber Toppy

I tried my hand at adding a toppy to my Goodyear welted Frye Jones double monks. I previously had put a thin layer of shoe goo all along the bottom and surprisingly, it's held up ok. After peeling off the remaining goo, the leather sole just needed minimal spot sanding and cleaning before cementing.

1.4mm Duratec sole from eBay. The back of it is a little fuzzy/flat felt like, possibly to help cement grip it more, dunno how that compares to just smooth rubber.
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Duratec-Solin...=1544377863020

This turned out really well. I have wanted to add a topy to some of my shoes so I will have to check this out!

Comment

i have a number of thrifted leather-sole shoes with [quite nearly] holes in them that would greatly benefit from this kind of a thing quite a bit. it entices me a lot to try to help them out.

Comment

gonna need deets on those shoes, they're gorgeous

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] [MENTION=12001]evanparker[/MENTION] give it a shot! The sheets are cheap, plenty to do at least a pair (using the rest of mine to toppy couple of the wife's derby's/boots). I cut the excess using fresh scalpel blades and was able to glide the blade through for the most part. The 1.4mm thickness makes it easy to cut, and the shoes don't feel any different on the feet.

Used the DAP cement that was available at the store and it's been working well on other projects (added a suede heel liner to some of my boat shoes and they haven't budged a bit despite all the putting on/off and constant contact with my bare heels). It bonds permanently on contact after the ~15 min dry time and doesn't need constant pressure during curing.

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
          gonna need deets on those shoes, they're gorgeous
          They're the Jones monks by Frye in ash nubuck, got them during the Clear The Rack sale for $75 I think. Really like the texture and feel of it, and it's reasonably robust/thick nubuck without any silly factory burnishing.

Very well made, considering I've been seeing lots of posts/reviews on their declining quality/standards. Welt joint/stitching is very clean, no loose stitches/threads. Only nit I could pick would be that slight unevenness of the lower stitch on the left cap toe, but I don't notice it when on.

Comment

Never tried adding a topy to my shoes. I must say that you did a good job. It looks great!

Comment

Working...
            X