Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. Crew Broken-in V-neck tee... gone!!!

Hi Folks -

Been a lurker on dappered.com for at least 5-6 years now, maybe longer. Anyway, I saw the thread about J.Crew going down hill (https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...-to-the-bottom) and while this thread is related, it's way more specific.

For years now I've been buying the slim broken-in n-neck t-shirt from J. Crew. It's my staple and my go to. I've had multiple of them in every color. For a t-shirt that typically costed anywhere from $20-30, I've probably spent over $700 on these things in total. And often bought other things at J Crew while I was buying this. It was the perfect slim fit - showed off the gains from working out in the shoulders and the arms, and was slim in the stomach without being skin tight.
    https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_special...lor_name=black

For the last month or two they are no long available at J Crew. except a few x-larges that are clearly returns. Instead, what is available is a J. Crew mercantile version for a regular price of $15.
    https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_special...ame=warm-black

The vast majority of the reviews basically say these are nothing like the broken-in v-neck tees from the last few years -that they are boxy in the stomach, made of crap material, etc. Now of course I just ordered one to test it, but I'm curious if anyone has any intel here. Is the old broken-in v-neck tee gone for good and we are stuck with only this mercantile crap? I ordered some slim v-necks from J Crew Factory in the past and hated them. Is my go to t-shirt from the last 5 years gone for good?

Finally - in case it's really gone and these mercantile shirts are as crap as I expect they will be, does anyone have recommendations for a really good slim v-neck tshirt that comes in a bunch of colors? I've tried https://sebastianfierri.com/collecti...=3041582415902 .
    The fit is almost (but not quite) as good as the J Crew slim fit broken-in vnecks were. But this is a much deeper V as well - I'm looking for something closer to what I was buying before! Thanks guys.

Ive been getting mine from BR. I forget which one specifically, but I really like them. They are the only clothing i buy from BR currently. With that said, i am a crew neck tee kinda guy.

Comment

Uniqlo supima cotton v-neck. Fit is almost identical to the slim fit JCrew, and the price can't be beat.

Comment

Humorously, prior to seeing this thread, I was dumb and ordered one of these t-shirts. I tried it on this morning, and wow, what a pile of fail. It's huge and baggy. I got it on final sale for $6, so I can't return it. As such, I tossed it in my pajama drawer.

I'll stick to the Uniqlo Pima cotton v-necks I recommended above. They fit like the older jcrew v-necks did.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
          Humorously, prior to seeing this thread, I was dumb and ordered one of these t-shirts. I tried it on this morning, and wow, what a pile of fail. It's huge and baggy. I got it on final sale for $6, so I can't return it. As such, I tossed it in my pajama drawer.

I'll stick to the Uniqlo Pima cotton v-necks I recommended above. They fit like the older jcrew v-necks did.
          Thanks for the recommendation man, I will definitely try that out. If it fits that similar to the old J Crew, hopefully you've saved my wardrobe (seriously, the slim fit broken in v-neck was truly a workhorse for me).

It sucks so much that J. Crew seems to have discontinued that shirt. From the number of years that they were selling it and the constant changing of colors, I assumed that shirt was a big win for them and that it would continue to be sold. Dunno what caused the decision. My mercantile slim v-neck hasn't shown up yet, but given what you just said I can only imagine it will hit my pajama drawer well, or maybe I'll use it to clean my floors. So ridiculous to still call it a slim fit. Even the J Crew Factory slim v-necks were at least a relatively slim fit, I just didn't like the material and the fit wasn't quite as perfect for me.

Comment

By the way, I notice the Uniqlo Supima cotton v-neck isn't listed as a slim fit. Am I looking at the right one here?
            https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-sup...or=COL54&cgid=

Do you buy the same size you would have in the Jcrew slim fits of old? I bought medium for those which fit just a little tight in the shoulders as long as I'm hitting the gym regularly, but I like them that way and larges didn't have as good a look. Would you say Uniqlo is similar sizing? About to order a test shirt.

Comment

Yes. Sizing is very close to the order JCrew shirts. It's a true slim fit even though it doesn't seem to be advertised as such.

Comment

Update - I dropped by JCrew today to look around at the 40% sale, and tried on the regular fit v-neck mercantile t in one size smaller. Very similar to the one slim fit in one size larger.

I think the uniqlos are a better deal, but you can try the regular fit JCrew in one size smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post
                  Ive been getting mine from BR. I forget which one specifically, but I really like them. They are the only clothing i buy from BR currently. With that said, i am a crew neck tee kinda guy.
                  How is their t-shirt? I don't have one, but my impression was that they are somewhat baggy

Comment

When I was trying to work plain t-shirts into my wardrobe, I tried Uniqlo, Apt9, and Next Level (recommended on reddit). I tried the premium, CVC, and triblend, but I liked the sueded the best. They were super soft while still being substantial weight, and the cut fit me better than Uniqlo and Apt 9. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A21RNIK9GMQ4ZG

Comment

Working...
                    X