Bonobos vs SS, lapel width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonobos vs SS, lapel width

So let me to start this off by saying, I do not have a SS store by me, but I do have a a Bonobos. I am looking to purchase 2 new suits (navy and grey lighter than charcoal) for work. I tried on a Bonobos suit and loved the fit, comfort, and love that their suits have a bit stretch in them. What I don’t love is the lapel width. Now, I am not a big guy. 5’9”, 38r, 165lbs, but thin lapels are on the way out of style. So I was looking at an SS Lazio cut. I believe the bonobos jet setter is 2.5 or 2.75 inch lapels, while the lazio is almost 3.5 inches.
    I am looking for advice on Bonobos vs SS and if I’m being ridiculous about .75 inches of lapel width

I’m not super dialed in to what is going in or out of fashion, but for someone your size, a 2.75” lapel should look great to anyone but the most zealotous of fashion fundamentalists.

I personally like going with a 2.75” but I have a much bigger build. I prefer the lines of that width.

it sounds like you’re worried you may have a suit that is somehow going out of fashion, to which I say that if having a 2.75” lapel vs a 3-4” lapel renders a suit “unfashionable,” I’ll be happy to buy them heavily discounted when everyone has moved on to wider standards.

Comment

2.75" lapel sounds proportionate for a 38R to me.

Comment

Short answer: Suit Supply shops and returns free, so why not order one and see how it compares?

Clarification: is the Bonobos 2.75" a figure quoted for the line, or what you measured on a 38 suit?

I ask because most manufacturers quote a figure for a line, but it's actually specific to a size (42 seems to be the most common) and then adjusted to remain proportional to the suit size. Thus a 38 lapel would be narrower than the quoted measurement.

That said, 2.75" is not a classic width, and 0.75 may not seem like much, but it's a ~30 per cent increase. It's noticeable, though far less so among the general public than we Dappered readers tend to think.

A truly skinny lapel is already out of fashion, and will likely only get more so for the next few years. Male trends, especially for business, tend to move at a relatively glacial pace. Slim lapels won't look so out of place as to be bad for sometime, but if I'm buying a suit now I'd be aiming for something that's not already off-trend.

Really, it's more about proportions than a single measurement. For business, I'd rather have a classic width, where the lapel ends roughly midway to the outside of the shoulder. This will look good and situation-appropriate in any decade (1970s excluded, stuff got weird then).

Comment

Originally posted by ElDub View Post
          I’m not super dialed in to what is going in or out of fashion, but for someone your size, a 2.75” lapel should look great to anyone but the most zealotous of fashion fundamentalists.

I personally like going with a 2.75” but I have a much bigger build. I prefer the lines of that width.

it sounds like you’re worried you may have a suit that is somehow going out of fashion, to which I say that if having a 2.75” lapel vs a 3-4” lapel renders a suit “unfashionable,” I’ll be happy to buy them heavily discounted when everyone has moved on to wider standards.
          Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
          Short answer: Suit Supply shops and returns free, so why not order one and see how it compares?

Clarification: is the Bonobos 2.75" a figure quoted for the line, or what you measured on a 38 suit?

I ask because most manufacturers quote a figure for a line, but it's actually specific to a size (42 seems to be the most common) and then adjusted to remain proportional to the suit size. Thus a 38 lapel would be narrower than the quoted measurement.

That said, 2.75" is not a classic width, and 0.75 may not seem like much, but it's a ~30 per cent increase. It's noticeable, though far less so among the general public than we Dappered readers tend to think.

A truly skinny lapel is already out of fashion, and will likely only get more so for the next few years. Male trends, especially for business, tend to move at a relatively glacial pace. Slim lapels won't look so out of place as to be bad for sometime, but if I'm buying a suit now I'd be aiming for something that's not already off-trend.

Really, it's more about proportions than a single measurement. For business, I'd rather have a classic width, where the lapel ends roughly midway to the outside of the shoulder. This will look good and situation-appropriate in any decade (1970s excluded, stuff got weird then).
          I checked with the manufacturers today. Bonobos lapel is 2.5 inches on all sizes and SS is 3.34 inches

Comment

Galcobar made the two best points. Go with Suit Supply, free shops and returns and you say these suits are for work than go with the lapel ending midway to the outside of the shoulder rule. This rule never goes out of style and you picked the two perfect colors for business.

Comment

Working...
            X