Advice on Levis Commuter Trucker Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Levis Commuter Trucker Jacket

In less than 24hrs I will once again be a bicycle owner. I'm planning on commuting to work this way in Northern California. A commuter jacket seems like a good fit. Levi's seems to be having a sale.https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/levis-...en_commuter_us
    I'm drawn to the trucker jacket but wondering about the difference between the SUMMIT SLATE CORE SHELL vs WILLET DENIM AIRDOT besides the $30 price difference. the Willet Denim Airdot is the better sale but will it hold up to the weather as well. Also neither of these descriptions mention the hood that I've read about being zipped under the collar. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Good on you! Not nearly enough people commute by bike.

I can't comment on the functionality of either of those two jackets specifically, but LOVE my commuter 514 jeans, which they sadly no longer make. Between the two jackets, I like the slate core shell better aesthetically. However, speaking from experience (and knowing weather in Northern California can be less than ideal), my vote with regard to bike commuting apparel is function over form. I have a Marmot Precip that I really like. Cheap, decidedly waterproof, *does* have a stowaway hood (that fits over a helmet, even), and zips into its own pocket that I can throw into my messenger bag when the weather clears up. I would say it's also not significantly more casual than the two you're looking at.

If I'm going somewhere that I know my attire will matter more, I make other arrangements (carpool, usually) so that I can dress how I want and not show up sweaty.

Comment

I commute by bike pretty regularly and it's great. Can't comment on those two jackets as I have not tried either. I actually couldn't find one Willet Denim Airdot. I think the difference may just be the color but can't say for sure. I'd stay away from anything that's cotton if your ride is longer than 4 miles or so. My commute is 9-10 miles one way and I wear performance gear - Zoic premium liners (biking liner shorts) are great. I usually layer a short over them - Myles Apparel or some other reasonably good looking synthetic short with stretch built in. On top REI has a line of affordable wicking tees that look more natural than is typical for synthetic fibers. So I don't look spandexed out but I'm definitely not in stuff that looks like what I'd wear to the pub, except maybe in the summer (but then it is summer so...). I may look a little dorky but I'm as comfortable as you can be riding a hilly route in the hot and humid DC summer.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I like the style of the slate core shell jacket.

Comment

Working...
        X