Shorts length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorts length?

So what length shorts are you guys rocking? It appears the range is from 11" to 17", slightly shorter for swimsuits, in two-inch increments. I actually kind of like the idea of 17" shorts, but that's approaching manpri length. Is there a length that's "in style" right now? 34" inseam, FWIW.

Do you just shoot for the knee? Above the knee? Below the knee? I just moved and seem to have lost all of my shorts in the move, and so I don't have anything to compare it to! And it's been, well, 9 months since I wore shorts.

I'm thinking more like 7-9". I go with 9 (am also 34 waist and 5'10") and it goes right down to the knee. I would be fine with 8" inseam.

For reference, most J. Crew shorts are 7, 9, or 11. Take that for what you will.

Comment

Guess I'll have to go try shorts on. I was hoping to avoid that! I have pretty enormous thighs from cycling, so I'm not sure how attractive that is when wearing shorts! I've tended to wear longer shorts because of that.

Comment

I always go with a 9" Inseam. On overall length, I never go below the "shelf" of your knee whilst sitting. (Basically mid-kneecap) If you can pull off the shorter lengths, give it a shot. Some guys can, others not so much...

Comment

Large thighs is better than skinny thighs I would think. 9" seems like the standard for men who aren't middle schoolers or "badasses"

Comment

Generally speaking, the sweet spot is anywhere from right at the bottom of your kneecap to just above the knee when standing. It's up to personal preference, although, I am noticing the trend is shifting shorter, which is a dangerous game to play. Men went nut-huggers once in the 70's & 80's and it was a failed experiment.

Comment

I'm a big fan of shorter shorts and can't stand when I see people wearing shorts below the knee. I can't speak of exact inseams, but I think proportions are just as important with shorts as they are with a suit. I find that exposing the knee while standing elongates the body and makes you look taller. Some people are just not used to seeing the top of their knee caps while standing and an extra 2" while sitting, but don't be dismissive right away. You can imagine my swim trunks are even shorter but its great because I have tan thighs that for some reason is noticed by every girl I talk to while I wear shorts.

Comment

7-10" is a pretty solid size range for people of average height. If you're young, fit, and trendy, you can go as short as mid-thigh length. If not, hitting at or just above the knee is a safe bet. Unless you're fairly overweight, I wouldn't worry too much about showing a couple inches of thigh. Shorter shorts are actually much more comfortable once you get over the self-consciousness. I wore a pair of 6" inseam swim trunks quite a lot last summer, and I was always annoyed by all the extra fabric swishing around my knees when I put on normal knee-length shorts afterward.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                X