Mold!!! What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mold!!! What to do?

This morning I pulled out my beloved AE Higgins Mills to wear for the first time since the spring, only to find a fair amount of mold growing on them! Any advice on what to do here? Are they salvageable?? I love these boots. Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have nothing helpful to say except eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.
    Ben

Comment

I will add (slightly more helpfully) that you may want to check the area where you've been storing them to see if you've had any water damage or flooding. Moldy shoes is pretty dang weird if they are stored somewhere with ordinary humidity levels and air flow.
      Ben

Comment

I'm interested to know more as well. I have a pair of leather soled Astorflex boots that I'm worried might have a little mold in the sole. They don't look like the OP's boots though. My mold (if that's what it is) is just on the bottom of the sole toward the toe of the sole.

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and the boots sit on a rack off the ground, so no worries about flood.

Comment

We've had an extraordinary amount of rain this summer and have been dealing with dampness, (though no actual water seepage) on our basement/ground level. The boots were on the floor at the bottom of our shoe rack in our basement entryway and haven't really seen the light of day all summer. I just hadn't given it any thought.

I did some googling after making this post, and it seems like mold growth on leather goods, especially within the tack world, is a pretty common thing. For anyone else that may ever deal with this, here are some links I found. I will probably try one of these and see if it helps. I really hope it does, as I would hate to lose the boots.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-rem...eather-2147182

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...leather-shoes/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_6571044.html

Comment

50/50 vinegar and water solution, spray bottle, clean, condition, profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
              50/50 vinegar and water solution, spray bottle, clean, condition, profit.
              Agreed; I use white vinegar for such tasks. I've never had to clean boots, but did save an old horse harness leather belt that had languished a little too long in a garden shed.....I would add that I would check any other items stored in the basement as well, including hanging clothes ect...

Comment

You can also mix ammonia and water in a 50/50 solution. Then use it to clean your shoes.

Comment

I had hidden plumbing leak a couple years back and had to have a mold remediation. The guy who runs the company that did that said Concrobium Mold Control is a very good and effective product. I'm not entirely sure what the active ingredient is but it's non-toxic. Whether it is safe for leather I don't know. Available at Home Depot in (I think) the paint section.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Well it seems that the scrub then vinegar-water mixture did the trick. They actually cleaned up very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had several old school yugoslav and romanian magazine pouches (for pewpews) with moldy leather bits, vinegar and water neutralized it forthwith.
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                        I've had several old school yugoslav and romanian magazine pouches (for pewpews) with moldy leather bits, vinegar and water neutralized it forthwith.
                        Wow! Reviving the dead here. I agree though - the vinegar-water solution works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post

Wow! Reviving the dead here. I agree though - the vinegar-water solution works wonders.
                          There was another post before mine (which may or may not have involved a strict corn-from-a-jar diet ) which resurrected it; i can only surmise that individual no longer resides within the dappered-sphere.
                          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

It happened to me as well. I cleaned my boots with a brush first. Then I mixed equal parts of water and rubbing alcohol (I used rubbing alcohol instead of vinegar and it performed outstanding). After that, I washed them and they were as good as new.

Comment

Working...
                            X