Charles Tyrwhit Elbow rips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Tyrwhit Elbow rips

So I’ve got about 5 CT shirts that I bought about a year ago. They are all the non-iron twill fabric. Two of them have ripped in the elbows. I haven’t noticed this with my BB shirts. I sit at a desk all day and probably unconsciously put my elbows on the desk without realizing. A few of questions:

1. Can the elbows be fixed/patched?
    2. Has anyone else had this experience with CT shirts? Is it a known problem with this brand or is it just a general problem with dress shirts?
    3. Would upgrading to a higher quality brand help? Or is it that I just need to make a conscious effort to not put my elbows on the desk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue with CT, BB, JCrew...you name it. My wife makes fun of me and says I have knives for elbows. As to fixing the elbows, I asked my do-it-all tailor a couple of weeks ago and she told me it would not look good. How bad are the rips on your shirts? I have no idea re: upgrading to a higher quality.

I sit at a desk all day as well and I try to be more conscious about my elbows on the desk but undoubtedly placing them there happens.

If you come up with a solution, I would be glad to hear it.

Comment

I've had CT, TMLewin, JCrew, Bonobos, Kamakura, Marine Layer, Wings + Horns, Ministry of Supply all ripped at one point or another. I really need to learn to roll up my sleeves while at work (although that is why I chose to wear a polo as long as possible when in season). I keep some of the ones I like for when I know I will be wearing a blazer/sweater. I did try patching one, but it wasn't worth it and opened up again shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by 77Pat View Post
        I've had CT, TMLewin, JCrew, Bonobos, Kamakura, Marine Layer, Wings + Horns, Ministry of Supply all ripped at one point or another.
        Bro, you've been working out?!

Comment

If the shirts in question are no iron, all cotton shirts, that might be part of the problem. The process to make all cotton, or mostly cotton fabric, non iron, includes adding formaldehyde to the shirt, causing the fabric to wear out faster. I can't vouch for it being specific to a brand, i.e. CT, but it is common with no iron shirts. The formaldehyde stiffens the shirt, and contributes to blown out elbows specifically.

I have recently been excavating my closet, and recycling, reusing or repurposing my old shirts. The "hand" of my decades old cotton shirts is amazingly soft and there are little or minimal spots where the fabric has worn through, or torn. In many cases I've simply gained a few pounds over a few decades and the old shirts no longer fit well. I've mentioned before, that some have become toss pillows, because of fit issues, and the pillows are luxurious to the touch. My Polo blue OCBD shirt from the mid-80's has an oxford cloth that would probably be sold as pinpoint oxford today, at an unattainable price. Other of my old shirts were a bit more generous in their cut, and still fit well enough for me to rock a vintage look.

The problem is now finding an all cotton shirt that isn't treated in such a way, and investing the time and knowledge it takes to heat up the Rowenta, avoid the starch, and give that shirt a crisp press the night before. I see a lot of people on the board extolling the virtue of a good shoe shine, maybe we need to raise ironing to the same level.

Comment

Originally posted by Bixmeister View Post
            I see a lot of people on the board extolling the virtue of a good shoe shine, maybe we need to raise ironing to the same level.
            I agree wholeheartedly.

I like to press a shirt and let it sit for at least 24 hours. I have a pressurized spray bottle for misting water. I use distilled water only. I have an upright steamer that I steam shirts with after they've been worn; it freshens them up.

Comment

I have a Nordstrom smartcare shirt that recently did the same. Bummer, as I really liked the shirt, though it certainly was not one of my 'heavy rotation' shirts.

Comment

I'm always fascinated by this, as I've been at a desk job for over 10 years, often working very long hours, and I've never had an elbow blow out. I do throw out shirts that are getting yellowed or otherwise getting ratty, so maybe I just keep the rotation fresh enough, but it seems to me that that can't seem to be the entire story as I've kept shirts around for years. For what it's worth, I got rid of all my non-iron shirts years ago; get my shirts pressed (too lazy to iron / too small of an apt to have a full ironing board).

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                  I'm always fascinated by this, as I've been at a desk job for over 10 years, often working very long hours, and I've never had an elbow blow out. I do throw out shirts that are getting yellowed or otherwise getting ratty, so maybe I just keep the rotation fresh enough, but it seems to me that that can't seem to be the entire story as I've kept shirts around for years. For what it's worth, I got rid of all my non-iron shirts years ago; get my shirts pressed (too lazy to iron / too small of an apt to have a full ironing board).
                  Same, never had an elbow rip. Usually my shirts first show their age fraying at the cuffs or occasionally at the fold of the collar.

But these days I get my shirts almost exclusively from Spier & Mackay, so they are all untreated cotton.
                  Ben

Comment

I have had all sorts of shirts and never had an elbow blow out. I have read it can be because the shirt sleeve is too tight and thus stretches the fabric in addition to you rubbing it on the table.

Also I have my shirts laundered and get starch which has not caused pre-mature wear.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’m going to try some non-treated cotton ones to see how they perform.

I might try dry cleaning them too. What I’ve been doing is washing her and then hang drying. Maybe the washer is too harsh on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had this happen with many shirts over they years regardless of brand (Express, BR, CT, J Crew, etc). The only thing I can contribute it too is that I am constantly leaning on my left desk and on the armrest in my car with my left elbow/forearm. FYI it's the left elbow that always rips on my shirts.

The best repair method I have found is to just go get some iron-on patches from Walmart, Dollar General, or any other similar store. They make them in all sorts of colors and materials. I've continued wearing shirts for years after I've patched them. The only time it doesn't work is if the hole is huge (more than 2 inches long) or if it's a solid white shirt (because the patch shows through on a white shirt).

I would say if you have a shirt that you love, go spend $2 and see if you can patch it before dropping $40+ on a new shirt. It's save me a ton over the years!

Comment

The only time I've ever had a shirt rip at the elbow was on a shirt that was a bit too small. Maybe you're a victim of the slim-fit craze? I have a lot of CT shirts and have never had one rip.

Comment

In my experience, this often comes down to the chair one is using. Fabric armrests will chew through shirt elbows quickly. Change to leather or plastic armrests, and shirts will last much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
                              I might try dry cleaning them too. What I’ve been doing is washing her and then hang drying. Maybe the washer is too harsh on them.
                              If you find the need to wash your shirts a lot, I would try a steamer. I used to wash my shirts after a couple of wears to avoid them smelling bad, but I've found that they smell fine if I steam them right after I take them off for the day. Now, I only wash shirts if the cuffs start to show dirt or I spill something on them. I figure for the bactericidal part of laundry, steam does the same thing as washing... maybe even a little better considering the timing of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X