Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brooks Brothers Suiting Essentials (Separates)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ounce
    replied

Thanks for the input all, I decided to hold off and just wait for the next (they sure are sparse) J Crew sale that covers suiting to pull the trigger on another Aldridge. I agree that the wool/quality seemed like it would be higher on the J Crew option and I already know it fits great as I have it in Charcoal currently.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Chareth - I'm always impressed by your thorough knowledge of BB!

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

They are exchanging short-term satisfaction for the delayed, muted gratification of a smaller paycheck. I think of it as small island syndrome/complex as they try to assert themselves, knowing that they're sitting lower on the totem pole. If they were any brighter, they would be working elsewhere. Really, I would fault the sales manager for letting the fools run amok.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

I'm fine with snobby -- it's downright rude to someone who somewhat directly contributes to your paychecks is what amazes me.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

I always find it strange when I am treated poorly at a higher end place (store, restaurant, etc). If I have the money to shop there, then the waiter or sales clerk is there to serve me. Thus, if you want to think about it this way (I don't unless they're jerks), they are really lower on totem pole. That mentality usually helps me get past their snobbishness. I really do think it helps to project an air of easy confidence, too.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

@Char -- Fair point. The pants didn't particularly fit me well anyway, so I opted to go elsewhere, but I do like the buy online / free alterations in store idea to put it to them.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

The guys at 346 Madison are real d-bags, especially the guys on the suit floor. I've been there a number of times and never had a pleasant experience.

I usually buy online and then bring them in for free alterations in-store. If they don't want my commissions, then they won't get them.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

No, I wasn't offered the fabric book in-store... at their flagship. Maybe the old guy was just trying to push what he had in stock. Overall, I was not a fan and very disappointed in the service I got... it's like they assume because I'm in my 20 that I didn't have any money. Guaranteed I'm not going to grab 3 full price suits, but I tend to repetitively buy things once I find something that fits, so they lost a suit customer who wears suits every work day because of it.

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

@hornsup: Did you check out the fabric book in-store? I remember seeing at least 25-30 different swatches that were available.

@ounce: If the price difference doesn't bother you, the Loro Piana wool for the Aldridge definitely surpasses the wool/XLA blend of the Suiting Essentials line. XLA is basically the same thing as spandex.

My understanding is that you can order these in-store in any cut you want (Madison, Regent, Fitzgerald, etc), but online you can only get the Regent in a limited number of fabrics.

Leave a comment:

• Ounce
    replied

Hmm I read on their Q&A about the jackets that they were "half-canvassed" according to the BB rep. Yes the price is pretty amazing considering that is Banana Republic (on-sale anyway) price range for what would surely be a superior product I would think.

Part of me wants to hold out for the next J Crew sale so I can simply snag another Alridge as I know it fits so well. On the other hand its hard to pass up such a good price for a well known maker of good stuff (though more in the 1818 line than necessarily down in the separates).

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

Ounce, with the 30% discount that is being offered today the suiting essentials are down to $314 per suit. That's pretty good. They're fused, and they're made overseas. The quality is not great, but they're cheap.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

I tried these on about a year ago and they seemed like decent suits. Pretty limited selection in fabrics unfortunately. Also, their pants didn't fit that well (I was almost exactly halfway between sizes and the amt of tailoring necessary would have made the pants awkward), so I wound up skipping. However, probably not a bad place to look if you can try them on.

Leave a comment:

• Ounce
    started a topic Brooks Brothers Suiting Essentials (Separates)

Brooks Brothers Suiting Essentials (Separates)

Does anyone have experience with this line from BB? As an athetlic guy with a 10 inch drop, I pretty much have to go the separates route unless I do massive alterations to the pants which generally are cost prohibitive. I've had success in the past with the J Crew Aldridge fitting me well and now I'm looking to expand my horizons a bit here as I know BB makes a fine product. From what I understand, the suiting essentials line is in the Regent fit and is half-canvassed at least. I can pick one up for a pretty good deal with corporate discount, probably sub $400. Would this be a smart choice or should I continue to hold out for a J Crew sale that would make the Aldridge reasonable again?

Working...
X