No announcement yet.

Bespoke Suits In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't mind the jaunt into NYC to be measured in-studio, I've personally done work with Black Lapel (MTM) and have been absolutely delighted. You can get a 3-piece suit with 2 sets of trousers for well under $1000, and the quality is excellent. I'd wager 3-4 suits from them would last longer (and provide far more versatility/variety) than a single bespoke from anyone. Granted I'm on an E-6 budget at the moment, so MTM is far less frowned-upon by the missus and easier to pass. I'm in the Baltimore area but travel to NYC/Philly a few times each year when I'm not TDY.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
      If you don't mind the jaunt into NYC to be measured in-studio, I've personally done work with Black Lapel (MTM) and have been absolutely delighted. You can get a 3-piece suit with 2 sets of trousers for well under $1000, and the quality is excellent. I'd wager 3-4 suits from them would last longer (and provide far more versatility/variety) than a single bespoke from anyone. Granted I'm on an E-6 budget at the moment, so MTM is far less frowned-upon by the missus and easier to pass. I'm in the Baltimore area but travel to NYC/Philly a few times each year when I'm not TDY.

Interesting! I'm an E-5 (single!). I have 3 suits (grey, black 3-piece, navy) currently and this would just be my special suit for special occasions. That is interesting but I am not sure if the travel is worth it. In addition, I would not wear a suit to class unless I was doing a presentation. Therefore, I am thinking one solid suit would do me justice.

Comment

If money is no object, have at it. But... military or not, your (assumed) young age is working against you, as your body is going to change in the next decade or so to where any bespoke suit you buy today isn't going to fit properly in short order. I'd spend the coin in other places, but do what makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo View Post
          Interesting! I'm an E-5 (single!). I have 3 suits (grey, black 3-piece, navy) currently and this would just be my special suit for special occasions. That is interesting but I am not sure if the travel is worth it. In addition, I would not wear a suit to class unless I was doing a presentation. Therefore, I am thinking one solid suit would do me justice.
          Then I'd say go with BL's MTM on as fancy as you wanna get. You could go with their Savoy line and be extra all you want, as well, and still spend about half (assuming 3-piece and extra trousers) what a ground-level bespoke would START at.

Especially at E-5, I would recommend this option first, and if you find yourself suiting often, THEN make the jump into full bespoke.
          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Just some life advice to take as you want and apply as fits. But take that almost 2-3k and invest in a certification. Given your base background you have the start of a great resume at least in the federal consulting world. Being military plus a PMP, CGFM etc would help you be able to earn several times your salary currently. You’d have a ward robe of bespoke suits once you finish your under grad and get a few years experience.

That will get you farther in an internship and job then a bespoke suit ever will. If the advice doesn’t apply or fit my apologies and best of luck in your undergrad. Signed someone that wish he did that sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo View Post
              Erock, thank you for your response. If I decide to go to school in Pennsylvania, I will visit both tailors. Did you see any bespoke work by Capelli or D&B when you visited?
              No unfortunately I haven’t. Capelli overall had a better feel to me and his attention to detail is what really impressed me

Comment

Working...
              X