Help me update my wardrobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me update my wardrobe

I will be starting law school in August, and think it is about time I update my wardrobe. Over the next few months I will be purchasing everything from shoes, to suits to business/casual wear, and would appreciate some input from style conscious individuals. I plan on building my collection from the ground up, starting with some nice shoes. I already have a nice pair of black dress shoes, and was looking to purchase a pair of brown. I'm thinking about going with these:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/gordon-rush-grayson-loafer/3134880?origin=category&resultback=5233

They seem to be a good design, and I think I could dress them up with a nice pair of chinos and an oxford or down with jeans and a polo. Anyone have any experience with Gordon Rush, with these shoes in particular? Any input would be highly appreciated.

Interesting endeavor, I can't imagine building a wardrobe from the ground up but I applaud you. As a grad student, I can say that too many grad students never leave behind the undergrad slub and I think now's a great time to do it. You may get flak for "dressing up for lecture" but it definitely leads to admiration from both women and men

There are guides to doing something like this, I think one has been posted in a different thread, but can't find it so maybe someone can repost. Also Joe's guide may help. http://dappered.com/tag/1500-wardrobe/

As far as those shoes, personally I'm not a fan of the plain loafer like that. A more casual driving shoe with jeans is nice and a more dressy loafer can look great but to me, that looks caught in the middle. If you are going for regular use while looking nice, go for an oxford in a darker brown like a captoe, plain or maybe the right wingtip.

Have fun, spend some time shopping the sales and thrift stores (I have found Allen Edmonds, Sperry's, brooks brothers, Walkover suede bucks). Also remember that since you are a student but looking nice you can dress less conservatively (like suede bucks or Jack purcell) whilel still looking more mature and put together. Have fun

Comment

I agree with basically everything Andrew just said. Especially with those shoes. The only thing I like about those shoes is the color. If you're looking for a loafer you can go dress/casual with, I would suggest AE Grayson, or something similar.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/product_390000_1_40000000001_-1

I certainly wouldn't suggest buying new from AE. Keep an eye out on ebay until you find a good used pair in your size. It could be around $100 if you wait for it. I also second the sperry or canvas shoe suggestion. You're not in the business world yet and can still look sharp while wearing sneakers if your clothes fit correctly.

Comment

Working...
      X