• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Looks great!

Originally posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Overdue post, but it's fixed. It was a bear trying to get the peeled stuff off as I did not want to risk wiping museum calf down with solvents. Tried a horsehair brush first but that only fogged up the wax without actually removing much. Ended up going in with a thumbnail (which is actually relatively soft nonabrasive material) and scraping off the old layer. Followed that up with a light recondition and then lots of coats of neutral AE wax finished off with a few layers of Saphir mirror gloss. There must be something a bit unusual about how this shoe bends and flexes because as you can see, little cracks are forming again, just not in a messy fashion like before.

Leave a comment:

• stuffedsuperdud
    replied
    Overdue post, but it's fixed. It was a bear trying to get the peeled stuff off as I did not want to risk wiping museum calf down with solvents. Tried a horsehair brush first but that only fogged up the wax without actually removing much. Ended up going in with a thumbnail (which is actually relatively soft nonabrasive material) and scraping off the old layer. Followed that up with a light recondition and then lots of coats of neutral AE wax finished off with a few layers of Saphir mirror gloss. There must be something a bit unusual about how this shoe bends and flexes because as you can see, little cracks are forming again, just not in a messy fashion like before.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    *PROBABLY* a significant climate change coupled with frequent use (wear) with little to no rest between.

best course is to fully strip the existing and start over. not what anyone wants to hear of course but....yeah.

Leave a comment:

• stuffedsuperdud
    replied
    You can't win'em all. Day 2 of a 6 day work trip. Iono if it's the weather, if I brought the mirror too close to a flexing point at the base of the toe cap, if I didn't let the base layer set right before adding to it, or what, but the damn thing started delaminating on me like a bad sunburn. It's especially egregious on the left side but you can see all the cracks and peels on the right too.

Red on my sock isn't blood from a blister or anything; its Cobbler Union's red quilted insoles, which still bleed all over my socks even after countless wears. What are you gonna do?

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR View Post

One of my favorite Bourbons!
    I brought them to Iowa with me.

IMG_20201031_164544_813 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Speaking of Bourbon AEs.

IMG_20201020_112854_257 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
    One of my favorite Bourbons!

Leave a comment:

• tylermike
    replied
    I recently bought a pair of Lerwick oxford shoe for men by Barker. I am quite happy with the quality and the durability of the product, their fitting is also superb and no disappointment with the price of the product, they are totally worth it.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Speaking of Bourbon AEs.

IMG_20201020_112854_257 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Beautiful! And not like the bourbon color AE was selling a few years ago.

No sir this is Horween's Bourbon. Same as you'd get from C&J or Carmina or anyone else who uses Horween shell. Though my calf Daltons are AE bourbon, albeit a couple batches back.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Beautiful! And not like the bourbon color AE was selling a few years ago.

Originally posted by armedferret View Post

IMG_20201009_115855_581 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_20201009_115935_251 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Bourbon shell Strands from the latest trunk show. Not much to shining them, of course, but i think they look ok.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied

IMG_20201009_115855_581 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

IMG_20201009_115935_251 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Bourbon shell Strands from the latest trunk show. Not much to shining them, of course, but i think they look ok.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    armedferret Love the look of those boots! What make/model are they?
    AE First Avenue. Black calf on this pair.

There's another shell show coming up.

I'm screwed. :P

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    armedferret Love the look of those boots! What make/model are they?

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied

IMG_20200818_190005_070 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Trip took a lousy turn. Finally headin home.

IMG_20200720_154805_465 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

Working...
X