No announcement yet.

Show Off Your Shine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's too bad about them discontinuing the model/boot. I'd have been interested in picking a pair up during one of their sales.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
      They've been discontinuing great models left and right (Shaker Heights, Normandy) . . . They've even introduced cemented shoes "imported" (little to no detail on where they're made) for the same price as their GYW Port Washington lines. Absolutely ridiculous.

Make no mistake, if Caleres keeps going this direction, they're going to destroy AE the way they did so with several other previous heritage American-made brands. I hope it doesn't happen.
      I've noticed that as well; that is, that they are selling shoes made with less expensive methods for the same price as the Goodyear welted shoes. That does seem crazy.

And probably Caleres will continue to pillage and plunder AE--imagine the profit they are making selling cemented shoes for $300 to $450 per pair.

But some other company will start up (or maybe has already) to take the place of AE after people figure out what's going on. And then they will get bought out as well. And the cycle will continue.

Also: Are you sure they are discontinuing the Normandy? I have a friend who has been eyeing those for months. I'd better warn him. Here's a poor musician, so they are a bit of a stretch for him financially, but he may act now if he knows they are discontinued.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by kbaskim View Post
        I apply the mirror gloss in thin layers using my finger, the body heat will help making the wax soft. then I buff it off with a fine soft cotton cloth in small circular motions using just a drop of water. You should not feel any resistance from the wax, if you do just add a second drop of water.
        Thanks for the advice on the Saphir mirror gloss. It really made the whole process easier. I was able to get a decent shine in less than an hour.

Comment

Resurrecting the thread with a resurrection of my AE Sturgis, of sorts. A year's worth of muddy range days, some very good fortune in the form of a highly successful hunting season, and some rather not-so-great fortune in the form of cleaning up the mess left behind by a tree that fell and trashed my deck, killed my beloved grill, broke a kitchen window, killed some siding, and borked my roof. Twas a royal mess. Pine too, so sap worse than Clark W. Griswold got when he unleashed the Griswold family Christmas tree.

Anywho. Should be pretty obvious which is the before and which is the after. :P

Sturgis Before by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Sturgis After by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
          Very nice cleanup!

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
            Thanks for the advice on the Saphir mirror gloss. It really made the whole process easier. I was able to get a decent shine in less than an hour.
            Beautiful looking shoes! Watch that vamp, it could use a thin layer of cream to prevent further drying. But overall, very nice shine, ianr!

Comment

Originally posted by PureAndy View Post
              Beautiful looking shoes! Watch that vamp, it could use a thin layer of cream to prevent further drying. But overall, very nice shine, ianr!
              Thanks. I noticed after I took that picture how dry it looked and conditioned it.

Comment

Very nice cleanup!
                obliged, but all the credit goes to the saddle soap, bick 4, and doc martens beeswax conditioner. i'm just the ambulatory idiot who applied 'em.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Yes, [MENTION=14805]ianr[/MENTION] great looking shoes. Great mirror shine. And yes, what he said about preventing further drying.

Comment

Vamp after generous application of conditioner...

I will of course condition again soon.

Comment

Much nicer!

Comment

Bump?

IMG_20190520_194159_536 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Considering I'd been raving my face off for 3 nights straight, I'd say I did okay cleaning up.

20190520_221836 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Comment

You were at EDC?

Very nice shine! AE Strand?

I just haven't the time to work on my shoes since I started my own firm. I've been working so much. When I have down time, I am really DOWN.
                          Bump?

IMG_20190520_194159_536 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Considering I'd been raving my face off for 3 nights straight, I'd say I did okay cleaning up.

20190520_221836 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                            You were at EDC?

Very nice shine! AE Strand?

I just haven't the time to work on my shoes since I started my own firm. I've been working so much. When I have down time, I am really DOWN.

Yes we were, and yes they are.

(we've already bought tickets for next year, although the trip will be considerably shorter--we're saving up vacation time for Tomorrowland in Belgium as well since we'll both be 40 next year)

Comment

Yes we were, and yes they are.

(we've already bought tickets for next year, although the trip will be considerably shorter--we're saving up vacation time for Tomorrowland in Belgium as well since we'll both be 40 next year)
                              Well, maybe we will go some day. I know I'm old, but I still enjoy that kind of crazy thing. It just takes me two days to recover for every night I stay up until dawn.

It's great you enjoy traveling so much and that you take your style with you.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                                Well, maybe we will go some day. I know I'm old, but I still enjoy that kind of crazy thing. It just takes me two days to recover for every night I stay up until dawn.

It's great you enjoy traveling so much and that you take your style with you.

If not now, when? You have a year, they have a payment plan for tickets ($40/month per starting now), plan ahead and do it man.

Comment

Working...
                                X