Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half lined or less, black suit <$700 ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Half lined or less, black suit <$700 ?

    The groom decided on black or charcoal for the groomsmen, but it turns out I'm the only one without black. I was hoping it would be an even mix but I don't want to stand out. And it doesn't look like the amount of funerals I will be attending is going to go down any time soon, so I don't think I should bother renting.

    Afternoon/evening wedding in socal in august. Any half lined or less recomendations?

    Indochino will do half lined for $700. Not the greatest in quality, from what I've heard, but I won't be adding it to any kind of weekly rotation. And I can add a vest to make it winter proof...?

    Kinda bummed I can't go with SS or S&M unlined/butterfly options in navy or charcoal but oh well, at least I look good in black.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

    #2
    Black Lapel. They're fantastic and should be able to do partial lining. Give em a call. Their black suit is around 500, the lining may run a bit more but should keep well inside your budget.

    There's a lot of praise for black lapel on today's 5 favorites
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

    Comment


      #3
      Black Lapel is a good bet. FWIW I just went onto Oliver Wicks and you can customize a VBC 110s black suit to be half lined, expected delivery window is June 20th. Hope that's not too late for you.
      [MENTION=15101]armedferret[/MENTION] Look at you with the self promotion

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
        Black Lapel is a good bet. FWIW I just went onto Oliver Wicks and you can customize a VBC 110s black suit to be half lined, expected delivery window is June 20th. Hope that's not too late for you.
        [MENTION=15101]armedferret[/MENTION] Look at you with the self promotion
        I'm almost certain I haven't the faintest notion what you're on about good sir.

        Road trip starts saturday!
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks guys, I honestly forgot about oliver wicks, last time I looked they were still called Dragon inside. I like that half lined, unpadded shoulders and lapels on vest is an option. My one hesitation is this review has really a high button stance and a really low rise on the pants? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nid6h6yzIpM Maybe that's just his body type though?

          I'll give Black Lapel a call, I've only ever gotten a vest/trouser combo from them but that was so long ago their newer site/system doesn't even have my measurements anymore.

          Have these options surpassed Indochino in recent years? Last I knew they were all about even in quality and being able to nail your fit with MTM.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Dun View Post
            Have these options surpassed Indochino in recent years? Last I knew they were all about even in quality and being able to nail your fit with MTM.
            Indochino has, via my own and friends/colleagues' anecdotal experiences, issues with longevity. All those who've ordered one and worn it regularly found construction lacking, leading to premature wearout. In my case, twice I've gone to their showroom to be measured and subsequently went through four remakes and six adjustments, yet never got a suit that actually fit (or was even wearable at a few points).

            The other red flag is that all of their linings are polyester now. Bemberg is no longer an option for their jackets, and their pants were always lined in straight poly, as opposed to Spier & Mackay's viscose or even Suitsupply's poly/viscose blend.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
              Indochino has, via my own and friends/colleagues' anecdotal experiences, issues with longevity. All those who've ordered one and worn it regularly found construction lacking, leading to premature wearout. In my case, twice I've gone to their showroom to be measured and subsequently went through four remakes and six adjustments, yet never got a suit that actually fit (or was even wearable at a few points).

              The other red flag is that all of their linings are polyester now. Bemberg is no longer an option for their jackets, and their pants were always lined in straight poly, as opposed to Spier & Mackay's viscose or even Suitsupply's poly/viscose blend.
              Thanks!

              Looks like Black Lapel will do half lined, and it's same material specs as Oliver Wicks, so the only question left is do I trust Oliver Wicks to nail unpadded shoulders on the first fitting, and the button stance/rise. Any thoughts there dappered dot com?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Dun View Post
                Thanks!

                Looks like Black Lapel will do half lined, and it's same material specs as Oliver Wicks, so the only question left is do I trust Oliver Wicks to nail unpadded shoulders on the first fitting, and the button stance/rise. Any thoughts there dappered dot com?

                I think ultimately it comes down to body type. If you have an "abnormal" (not criticizing, just descriptor) stance regarding shoulder/arm placement when you're just standing without "posing", there *could* be more tailoring issues. If your arms aren't wonky, and you can get measurements done WELL, I'd say it's a good chance either way. It seems those who've had issues with any of the online MTM houses all have one major thing in common: lack of communication. If all you do is send measurements, they'll just build to those measurements and that'll be it. If you tell them "hey I have a back issue and when I'm standing up straight, my right shoulder is actually a little higher than my left" (or honestly just have someone take some photos front/back/each side of you standing; you'd be surprised what they can glean from that) they can adjust as needed.

                Bottom line: Communication is *KEY*.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                Comment

                Working...
                X