Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to spruce up socks without looking silly

Hey guys,

I looked at my sock drawer and my dress sock colors were, well not colorful. All black, gray, and navy. I have a couple of argyles that are grey and blue, but still very muted. I have been telling myself that I would like to mix in some more flashy socks. It took me years to get out of black pants, black shoes, solid blue shirt mode and I feel like I am ready to make that change with my socks now. The problem is every time I think about buying some I freeze.

I pretty much match the color of sock to pants, tried and true traditional. I could use your advice and guidelines to adding some color and pizzazz to my ankles.

Thanks!

I try to tread the line between reserve and flair, so most of my colourful socks are argyle. Serves two purposes: traditional pattern, and the multiple colours make it easy to match with suit, tie, or shirt.

For example, a pair of grey-bright blue-navy argyle socks. As one of those colours will match most of my suits, the eye line isn't entirely broken, an important consideration with today's narrower, shorter pants legs. Matching with other elements of the outfit can also occur (blue shirt, or grey tie, etc.) without being matchy-matchy. I can get away with a brighter accent colour because of the traditional pattern which incorporates more muted tones. I'd never wear bright red socks, but my charcoal-red-dark red argyles are favourites.
    Last edited by Galcobar; May 8, 2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I've really wanted to get some dress socks in aubergine and dark green. Looks very good dressed up. Something like these:

https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/coll...e-cotton-socks

https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/coll...s-forest-green

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
        I try to tread the line between reserve and flair, so most of my colourful socks are argyle. Serves two purposes: traditional pattern, and the multiple colours make it easy to match with suit, tie, or shirt.

For example, a pair of grey-bright blue-navy argyle socks. As one of those colours will match most of my suits, the eye line isn't entirely broken, an important consideration with today's narrower, shorter pants legs. Matching with other elements of the outfit can also occur (blue shirt, or grey tie, etc.) without being matchy-matchy. I can get away with a brighter accent colour because of the traditional pattern which incorporates more muted tones. I'd never wear bright red socks, but my charcoal-red-dark red argyles are favourites.
        +1

I had the same problem as OP (mostly solid socks) and eased out of it by buying a lot of argyle socks where the main color was still conservative but the secondary color was brighter. E.g. navy socks with orange trim, charcoal with red trim like Galcobar mentioned, etc.

Comment

I have argyle and striped socks, but nothing bright or crazy, and always close to the pants' color. I don't like drawing people's eyes towards my feet, so I only wear bright colors from the waist up.

Comment

My socks are all over the place, but if I'm looking to go more conservative while still keeping some flash, I'll either do a solid, subdue, non-pants matching color (burgundy, dark green) or go with a pants matching color with a subtle pattern (dots or thin strips work well).

Comment

I feel like there's a natural arc of sock preference when you get into style/fashion/etc. (however you want to term it). Start with the traditional match to pants concepts, then move into some color or bolder patterns, then go with some rather aggressive colors/patterns, then revert toward the mean. Potentially repeat the cycle thereafter.

I'm currently back in reversion mode. I have tons of socks in varying colors, patterns, etc. and find myself reaching toward basics most of the time. Admittedly I've also done that in other aspects of my attire too -- moving toward 'basics' in 'traditional' colors, etc. but having them stand out in other ways (fit, quality, pairing with everything else).

Even with reversion to mean, I'm not back at blue/charcoal/brown and done. My favorite pair of socks is actually a very thin horizontal stripe that has navy, grey and dark purple. It goes with effectively everything I own and isn't so loud that it takes away from the outfit as a whole, but also isn't boring. Typing this, makes me think I should go back and figure out where I got them from and order more...

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                I feel like there's a natural arc of sock preference when you get into style/fashion/etc. (however you want to term it). Start with the traditional match to pants concepts, then move into some color or bolder patterns, then go with some rather aggressive colors/patterns, then revert toward the mean. Potentially repeat the cycle thereafter.

I'm currently back in reversion mode. I have tons of socks in varying colors, patterns, etc. and find myself reaching toward basics most of the time. Admittedly I've also done that in other aspects of my attire too -- moving toward 'basics' in 'traditional' colors, etc. but having them stand out in other ways (fit, quality, pairing with everything else).

Even with reversion to mean, I'm not back at blue/charcoal/brown and done. My favorite pair of socks is actually a very thin horizontal stripe that has navy, grey and dark purple. It goes with effectively everything I own and isn't so loud that it takes away from the outfit as a whole, but also isn't boring. Typing this, makes me think I should go back and figure out where I got them from and order more...
                I agree with the arc perspective. I was thinking about this again and at one point went on an argyle and Happy Socks binge but am now back to mostly solids though some slight patterns on a few pairs. Also similar to you, I always seem to reach for a pair of navy socks with varying widths of gray stripes when they are clean.

Comment

green, ocher, orange, pink, purple. All work great for dress socks and most are available in some form of wool (which is way better than cotton in lots of ways when socks are involved). amazon has a ton of "fun" socks by companies like Sock It To Me, which are all cotton and definitely not for a more formal setting.
                  https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I can't say I've ever fallen down the crazy socks rabbit hole. The majority of mine are variations on dark blue, grey, and brown. A few have standard patterns/designs like argyle or stripes. The wildest I have are these goofy music-themed socks from Farm to Feet, which I usually wear with boots so the design isn't super visible, and these socks with stags, where the stag is not visible when worn.
                    Ben

Comment

Some subtle graphics work well also.

Comment

Count me as another person who never really jumped on the whole vibrant/colorful sock thing. Mine are all variants of your standard trouser colors with a couple that have very minimal check patterns. The only socks I own that are out there are some avocado print socks that were a bit of a joke gift. I think I've worn them twice in the past year.

Comment

I have a few light beige socks, but that's about as bright as I get. I'm not really a fan of the "express-yourself-through-your-socks" trend. Seemed a bit silly, to be honest. I can't imagine anyone, either another man or a woman, looking at a guy and thinking "Wow. That guys looks great with those bright striped socks he has on."

Comment

I agree with TMann. Bright socks aren't masculine, sexy, or handsome.

Comment

I'm not really into bright socks either, but I am guilty of buying these pink Happy Socks after seeing Prince Harry wearing them at a polo match.

I still like it as a Spring/Summery look.

Comment

Working...
                              X