Lighter colored neckties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighter colored neckties

Do any of you out there have any commentary or example photos of how to effectively incorporate lighter colored ties into your suiting wardrobe? For context: I rotate between a navy and light grey suit, and almost always wear either a white or pale light blue dress shirt. I read once that if you stick with dark colored ties - they will go with anything, which has proven true. Many of my ties are burgundy, brown, deep purple, navy, or colors that are dark/cool colors to work with almost anything I want to wear. Just wanted to see if you have success with lighter colors like yellow, light blue, etc.? I find that while ties in those colors are nice, they seem to be washed out and don't stand out well, especially in photos or if you're seen from afar. Thoughts?
    Oral B.

I've tired a white tie with blue medallion pattern and it is tough. I went for a mid to darker blue shirt if I remember correctly and I don't have a picture as an example. It is tough to pull off and can look dreadful.

Here is my WIWT post with it. Only this once: https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...l=1#post273937

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
      I've tired a white tie with blue medallion pattern and it is tough. I went for a mid to darker blue shirt if I remember correctly and I don't have a picture as an example. It is tough to pull off and can look dreadful.

Here is my WIWT post with it. Only this once: https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...l=1#post273937

Nice fit! But yes, I see what you mean. It's tough, and I hate buying ties (or anything for that matter) which are uber specific, i.e. this tie only works with this shirt and jacket combo, etc. I recently saw a really nice baby blue tie which makes an amazing dimple, but I'm afraid it's just to specific and will have low replay value.
      Oral B.

Comment

I have a pale yellow grenadine tie and a silver-ish glen plaid tie that are pretty easy to pair with most suits and light shirts.
        Ben

Comment

Lighter color ties mean lighter color shirts generally speaking, as I don't venture too often into light tie / dark shirt range (reminds me too much of the 90s). Blue ties other than navy I generally wear with white shirts; other lighter colors (pink, yellow come to mind) you can do with lighter blue shirts.

It can be done tastefully, but it isn't near as easy as other pairings. When I do it, I typically wear suiting that also isn't super dark (which lends focus on "dark" suit and "light" shirt/tie and it being the only thing you see). Medium grey helps allow the lighter color to stand out still.

Comment

Agreed on lighter ties needing even lighter shirts, generally. The 90's and movie mobsters are not good looks to emulate.

The biggest issue is with lighter shades the colours matter more, so one must either contrast (red-blue, green-purple) or complement (green-blue, grey-blue). Patterns help, by mixing lighter and darker elements the tie is able to contrast itself.

Comment

Wore my yellow grenadine today in honor of this thread. Worn with off-white chinos. The cobalt blue of this cotton jacket really pops against all the lighter colors.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                Wore my yellow grenadine today in honor of this thread. Worn with off-white chinos. The cobalt blue of this cotton jacket really pops against all the lighter colors.

Looks good. If you don’t mind my asking, where’d you get the jacket? I’ve been on the hunt for something like it and I’m pretty sure you and I wear a similar size jacket from what I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                  Looks good. If you don’t mind my asking, where’d you get the jacket? I’ve been on the hunt for something like it and I’m pretty sure you and I wear a similar size jacket from what I recall.
                  Got this jacket from one of the Suitsupply outlet sales 2-3 years ago.
                  Ben

Comment

This is all great input. I should have prefaced by saying, almost all of my "dress shirts" are white. light blue, or either of those colors of shirts in some sort of pattern (gingham, stripes, small checks, etc.) so there won't be any 90's outtakes coming from me! I have a yellow foulard, and about 2-3 other ties which could be considered "festive" that I really don't wear unless the occasion calls for it (weddings, celebrations, warm sunny weather in the summer).
                    Oral B.

Comment

Working...
                    X