Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between "Bucks" and Suede shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference between "Bucks" and Suede shoes?

I cannot figure this out. I see some shoes listed as "suede bucks" and others that are described as bucks or suede, respectively. I am in the market to buy my first pair of casual/business casual oxfords and would like one of the two finishes but cannot seem to find a difference. Also, any recommendations while we're at it? Looking for something I can pair with jeans, chinos, and maybe those Glen Plaid GAP pants that were posted today. Preferably looking for around $100, could spend a bit more.

I love my Johnston & Murphy Brennan bucks. I'm actually not sure on the difference other than I assumed the name "buck" came from shortening nubuck and suede bucks are maybe when they are actually suede.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

tradtionally buck refers to buckskin, which is textured like suede but much finer...almost like peach fuzz.

Comment

Nowadays, most "bucks" are made out of suede, but you'll occasionally find some made out of nubuck, especially in white. I recently got some Sebago Salems from Lastcall and I'm really happy with them. They look great with jeans and chinos. Also, I've tried on the Jonston & Murphy Brennans and they're good too.

Speaking of Last Call, they're having a 40% off sale so if it were me, I'd pick up some Walkovers. At that price, especially considering that they're Goodyear welted (which most bucks aren't) they're a huge steal.

Comment

All bucks are suede-like, but not all suede shoes are bucks. Suede shoes come in all sorts of flavors. Bucks are typically suede oxfords.

Comment

Speaking of the lastcall deal, two questions. How do they compare size wize to AE shoes? I am between a 9-9.5 d-e in AE shoes, would a 9.5 work you think in the Walk-Overs?

Also, which do you think is more subtle, the orange or yellow derby midi?

yellow

orange

Comment

I think I'll try out the Johnston & Murphy ones

http://bucksshoes.net

Comment

Working...
              X