Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shirt fit question

Hey All,

I have a “broad” body type. 44” chest, 34” waist. BR grant fit shirts in a large fit well - I can button them up with no puckering when I move, and little “shirt fat”. I have recently tried Johnson and Murphy, and Jcrew slim. Had to go with medium in J and M, and they pucker like crazy. Same with Jcrew in Large (feel like the Hulk). Brooks brothers Regent fit well, but spendy. Have one from Ratio clothing that is perfect, but again, too pricy. Spier and Mackay are fine, but selection is limited in 16.5 neck.

Anyone have suggestions of shirts that fit close to BR and won’t break the bank? Have not tried CT.

Thanks

I like Ledbury in "classic" fit. Sleeves need adjusting, but it fits okay otherwise. I wear 16.5 and 44 in jacket for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruggedcasual View Post
      Hey All,

I have a “broad” body type. 44” chest, 34” waist. BR grant fit shirts in a large fit well... Spier and Mackay are fine, but selection is limited in 16.5 neck.
      Looks like we are pretty close in measurements. I go with 16.5 - 36 (or 36-37) for neck and sleeve size. My shirts are either MTM from S&M, Lands End tailored fit in neck and sleeve size (and then I tailor the sides in a bit), or Nordstrom trim fit, neck and sleeve size. For Jcrew shirts I have to go XL slim fit and then tailor the sides and maybe slim the arms.

Not sure what your price range is but my OTR shirts are $20-35. MTM were ~$50-60 IIRC.

Comment

my measurements are slightly smaller but have chest issues in almost all my shirts. I am on my hopefully last sizing change with Speir and Mackay and those are by far my favorite. It did take two shirts though to get it right.

I also wear Nordstrom's house line as well as Jcrews new shirts with the neck / sleeve sizes. They are roomier in the chest than most brands. I have yet to find any others i can wear that dont pucker in the chest.

With all of that said, Nordstrom's shirts come out the cheapest by only a little bit. The fit and price of S&M makes it completely worth it. The JCrews are more if you buy them one by one, but about the same as the others if you buy 3 at a time. To me, S&M is and will be my go to. The only thing i dont like is that picking fabrics is tough for me. They dont always have a pic of a full shirt, so you have to go off of a picture of a fabric swatch.

Comment

I go 46/35, and normally buy 16.5/35 shirts. I've found through trial and error that S&M's white poplins shrink enough with a wash in warm water (hang dry) that a 17/35 fits darn near perfectly once the dry cleaners invariably shrinks the neck a bit.

I used to wear CT slim fit shirts in 16.5/35, but the chest has become too tight when I went from 44 to 46 in most suits.

Comment

Thanks guys. I learned the hard way to order a 17 neck from SM as they do shrink down a bit. I actually never noticed they do custom shirts, but will definitely look into this more.
            Cheers

Comment

Hey All,

I have a “broad” body type. 44” chest, 34” waist. BR grant fit shirts in a large fit well - I can button them up with no puckering when I move, and little “shirt fat”. I have recently tried Johnson and Murphy, and Jcrew slim. Had to go with medium in J and M, and they pucker like crazy. Same with Jcrew in Large (feel like the Hulk). Brooks brothers Regent fit well, but spendy. Have one from Ratio clothing that is perfect, but again, too pricy. Spier and Mackay are fine, but selection is limited in 16.5 neck.

Anyone have suggestions of shirts that fit close to BR and won’t break the bank? Have not tried CT.

Thanks
              Have you tried Camden fit from BR? It's a little looser, but I don't know if it might be too loose.

Comment

Thanks Mochi, I like BR fits, I just need more selection! I went out on a limb and just ordered this from Batch:

https://www.batchmens.com/collection...irt-royal-blue

Great colour, great fit. Will have to see if it shrinks like the SM shirts do.

Comment

Hey All,

Thanks
                  They don't seem to get a lot of play on here, but I am your size, and the Old Navy flex dress shirts fit me great. I can get a tie on with a collar extender, but I usually wear these sans tie. The Express 1MX and the athletic fit also fit me pretty well and the sleeves are almost perfect length
                  We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                  X