Tie or no tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tie or no tie

So I am interviewing for a job with my current company. Just a different role in a different business unit. Definatley going with a suit.

Wondering if I should go with or without a tie. The job is business casual. Most people above my “would be manager” wear trousers and a jacket or suits. My “would be manager” will throw on a jacket over their usual trousers/shirt for a client meeting or presentation.

I am meeting with two people I know and one I don’t know. I work in the building next door so will be back and forth a couple of times during the day. Current gig is chinos/trousers and a shirt, jacket in the office is overkill.

What do you think?

Personally, I'd likely wear a tie. I've interviewed internally with my current company (also business casual) and I wore a suit and tie, and I know generally when I see others interviewing internally they do the same. If you're concerned about the added attention/questions throughout the day, just leave the tie and jacket at you desk/office/car and throw them on before the interview. Or the longer term plan is to just wear a suit and tie occasionally so that people are used to it and don't think anything of it (a plan I've been meaning to start for years and never have). But it sounds like it's a little late for that strategy to work in your case.

Comment

Tie.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

All I can do is share my own experience.

I went for a job interview with a startup company. My motto has always been for job interviews to wear a suit and tie. I showed up looking styling (as always) and everyone I interviewed was in jeans and a T. Heck the guy who would have been my boss was in jeans and a patterned T. At the end of the interview when they asked me come back for a second round, I asked if I should wear a suit and tie again. Their response was no. We are casual around here. For round two I wore a suit sans tie.

While I was more comfortable I didn't like it. I felt as though I wasn't giving my best impression. If I had to do it over again I likely still wouldn't wear the tie since I was told not to, but I did feel like I was sticking out like a sore thumb when I was suited up.
        Last edited by DocDave; May 3, 2018, 06:22 PM. Reason: typing errors

Comment

Is your interviewing a secret from your current department? If not, I'd wear a tie. If it is, even the jacket sounds like it'll attract attention but hard to go without that at a minimum.

Comment

I'd wear at least a coat and trousers with a tie, if not a full suit with tie.

Interview attire isn't as much about showing your prospective employer/manager that you would know how to dress in the position - it's more about conveying the seriousness and earnestness of your interest in the position and your respect for the process and the people involved in attaining it.
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              Interview attire isn't as much about showing your prospective employer/manager that you would know how to dress in the position - it's more about conveying the seriousness and earnestness of your interest in the position and your respect for the process and the people involved in attaining it.
              This is what I’ve been thinking and would feel out of place without a tie as docdave said before. Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

Comment

If you already know two of the people you'll meet, consider asking them. Be upfront: would it be inappropriate to wear a suit and tie? Make it clear that you take the interview seriously and a full suit and tie are a refection of that, but you want to respect the culture of the rule you'd enter. And then remark during the interview about matching your attire to the company, just so the third interviewer knows you did your homework.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  I'd wear at least a coat and trousers with a tie, if not a full suit with tie.

Well said. I agree. Tie, show you are interested and care.

Comment

As I said, I went with a tie. The hiring manager joked around and said I was way overdressed for a Friday, but then said thanks and he appreciated it. If nothing else it made me rememberable.

Comment

Working...
                    X