Outerwear game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outerwear game

Ok so I’m looking for some opinions and to improve my outerwear game. The photos below are my main outerwear. I also have a waterproof shell in a royal blue and a snowboarding jacket in white with black designs on it that get used outside of my day to day wear.

The navy pea coat and green quilted coat (with thinsulate) get the most work in the winter. The parka in the first image is a new purchase for the days where my other coats won’t cut it, not sure if I like the color enough to keep it, it’s called “hazelnut”.

The beige coat below the parka is my main coat in shoulder seasons. The sleeves are too long so I cuff them, but I otherwise like it. It has a harrington-ish look to it. The insulated topcoat sees limited action but trying to work it in more during the winter. The Mac gets its use in the warmer rainy days. The remaining two don’t see much action at all. I would probably wear the blue hooded one more if it were waterproof/resistant. Maybe I should wax it? The black one is an oldie that has just hung around.

I’m want of add a Harrington style in stone to round out my warmer weather options but might have to settle for navy or green.

I guess I’m looking to see if I should add anything for winter and/ or if I should add for spring/summer. What colors do you guys typically go with for outerwear?

BTW, I’m in the northeast so we get all the seasons - cold winters, hot summers.

Throw in some light weight (for spring/summer) and chunky (for fall/winter) shawl collar sweaters to use as outerwear to mix it up and when a tightly woven layer won't be needed.

Comment

I grailed a Barbour Bedale for like $150 and I wear it all the time. It looks great from casual with a henley to layered with a OCBD and sweater. Seen people pull them off with more formal wear too. Definitely one of my best purchases as far as outerwear goes. I've worn it in rain & snow as well, but you gotta keep it waxed to perform well in those conditions. I would recommend the Beaufort though because it's tough to fit layers under the built in storm cuffs of the Bedale, or the Ashby if a slimmer cut is a must-have, but the Ashby typically runs closer to retail when bought used due to its more popular slimmer cut.

My Barbour Bedale works great in Fall/Winter/Early Spring, just have to adjust the layering with the seasons as waxed cotton isn't the warmest, but you can buy zip in liners for extra insulation in the jacket itself. Your experience might vary as well considering I'm only experienced in dealing with Texas winters down here.

I like earth tones, navy, and charcoal for outerwear personally. Your collection is definitely off to a good start, but as always I expect the guys here will have more than enough suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
        Throw in some light weight (for spring/summer) and chunky (for fall/winter) shawl collar sweaters to use as outerwear to mix it up and when a tightly woven layer won't be needed.
        Yes, I usually keep a couple of my winter sweaters around during the summer that I use. Good pro-tip there.

Originally posted by Pelennor View Post
        Barbour Bedale ... Beaufort
        Thanks for the comment. I took a quick look, I don’t know if I like the style of the jackets. Maybe it will grow on me, but the navy coat with a hood that is have is similar enough for me, would just need to be waxed.

Comment

I usually go for darker colors for practicality, and choose 2 different colors per season to go with black and brown shoes. i also prefer getting the traditional color for each classic item.

Here's my lineup:
          Winter: Olive parka, navy peacoat, charcoal topcoat

Spring or fall (dry): black cafe racer leather, olive M65, navy harrington, light gray turn-down collar blouson

Above freezing and wet: black mac, navy mac, light gray waterproof parka/anorak-ish raincoat

For midlayers, which can be the main outerwear in warmer weather, I limited them to boring versatile dark and light colors to go with any of my outerwear and to have contrast with the outerwear and/or tops. I have:

Charcoal zip-up funnel neck sweater
          Charcoal shawl neck cardigan
          Light gray hoodie
          Light gray ribbed roll-neck

Comment

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
            I usually go for darker colors for practicality, and choose 2 different colors per season to go with black and brown shoes. i also prefer getting the traditional color for each classic item.

Here's my lineup:
            Winter: Olive parka, navy peacoat, charcoal topcoat

Spring or fall (dry): black cafe racer leather, olive M65, navy harrington, light gray turn-down collar blouson

Above freezing and wet: black mac, navy mac, light gray waterproof parka/anorak-ish raincoat
            Thanks for the reply, I think I’m adding a lighter Harrington maybe a more casual topcoat and possibly a pack away jacket for quick trips (similar to https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc...61&csp=a#83561)

Any one else want to chime in with what they have as their outerwear staples? Any opinions thoughts on the color of that parka I got? I’m on the fence with it.

Comment

The "hazelnut" parka looks dark tan, or dark camel, and is actually versatile as it can go with black or brown shoes. More importantly, check if it goes with your complexion. If you're just worried about it being a boring color you can liven it up with colored caps or scarves.

Comment

Working...
              X