Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brooks Brothers/Allen Edmonds Shoe Report

Hey guys,

Just a quick note. I picked up the Brooks Brothers "Medallion Perforated Captoes" (i.e. the BB-branded Allen Edmonds Strand) during the recent sale for just over $200 thanks to Joe's posts last week. Doing some research online, there were whispers here and there about the shoes no longer being made by AE, or that they are made by AE with inferior or different leather. I dropped a note to AE Customer Service asking about recrafting availability and leather quality of the BB shoes, with a link to the BB product page, and got this reply:

Thank you for your email. Yes, even though Brooks Brothers sells the footwear, you may get them recrafted at Allen Edmonds. We also use the same leather for the Brooks Brothers footwear as our footwear. Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.
    So seems to settle it, they are legit Allen Edmonds. This despite any co-branding. Only differences are the poron footbed and the BB dovetail heel/combo rubber sole (I can't stand full leather soles anyway, slippery and impractical if you do any real amount of walking). Hope that helps anyone making decisions on the BB shoes in the future.

By the way, they showed up Monday and after about an hour are hands down the most comfortable dress shoes I've worn, and look great. They do run narrow.

-j

So, I talked to a Brooks Brothers rep. The shoes during the past sale were indeed Allen Edmonds; however, going forward, Brooks Brothers is moving to an Italian manufacturer that can come in at lower price points. Brooks Brothers is also dumping Red Wing.

Comment

I also got a pair of what we're Brooks Brothers version of McAllister. However, I returned them as they did not fit like the AE version. They were a little tighter, maybe due to the different inner sole.

Comment

I have some BB Strands in walnut as well; I removed the poron as they were FAR tighter than my other 5-last shoes from AE which didn't have it, and they're spectacular now.

You should spend a couple hours with some saphir on those captoes.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by chicubs1908 View Post
          So, I talked to a Brooks Brothers rep. The shoes during the past sale were indeed Allen Edmonds; however, going forward, Brooks Brothers is moving to an Italian manufacturer that can come in at lower price points. Brooks Brothers is also dumping Red Wing.
          Good point - I should amend by saying what I wrote above applies to BB shoes that are obvious AE shoe styles and listed as "Made in America" - they have other shoes that are Made in Italy or elsewhere that are definitely not AE shoes - and sounds like based on what the rep said, those models will dominate future offerings.

As for the fit, I believe they are the same 65 last as the Fifth Avenues I have - they did fit a bit tighter than my Fifth Avenues at first, but settled in quite nicely after an hour to the point where they feel like they fit better - not bigger or smaller, but more molded to my foot. I'm still breaking in the FAs, they are black, more formal and get less wear in my shoe rotation, so perhaps the cork footbed in AE shoes take longer to break in than the BB poron footbeds. But I can't say the fit for me was dramatically different. YMMV depending on the shape of your foot I suppose!

Comment

I ordered the same shoes from BB and also ordered the same pair from AE because the leather looks slightly different in their pictures. They were the exact same shoe minus the footbed and soles as others have mentioned. You could not tell them apart by the looks or feel of the leather.

Comment

I got a pair of the longwings from the most recent sale (well I actually ordered them the first sale like a month and half ago, but they finally shipped), and the shipping receipt even said "AE Macneil". (Just to add another data point to the discussion)

Comment

Working...
              X