Thursday Boot Company Shoe Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chiconice View Post
    Why do you find questionable the CXL? I never owned a horween leather .

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    The nature of CXL causes it to have a good amount of pull-up, which means that the color changes when stressed. So that will show up while they’re being worn. Additionally, it scuffs pretty easily. It’s not what you think of when looking for dress shoes. It is fantastic leather and I have several pairs of boots that are CXL and I love them.

Comment

Originally posted by chiconice View Post
      Why do you find questionable the CXL? I never owned a horween leather .

Yup, just as [MENTION=11287]shockfinder[/MENTION] says. It really is a great leather for boots. So little maintenance needed and even the easily scuffed nature is mitigated by the fact that you can just rub the leather and move the oils/pigments around until the scuff/scratch disappears. My burgundy J.Crew Chippewa captoe boots, though not Horween's CXL, is a oil stuffed pull up leather and it looks better the more I wear it/beat it.

It'll be a good option for that blutcher they offered, but probably not for any of their other shoes unless you're looking for a Frankin-dress shoe.
      Last edited by Nandyn; April 27, 2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
        Yup, just as [MENTION=11287]shockfinder[/MENTION] says. It really is a great leather for boots. So little maintenance needed and even the easily scuffed nature is mitigated by the fact that you can just rub the leather and move the oils/pigments around until the scuff/scratch disappears. My burgundy J.Crew Chippewa captoe boots, though not Horween's CXL, is a oil stuffed pull up leather and it looks better the more I wear it/beat it.

It'll be a good option for that blutcher they offered, but probably not for any of their other shoes unless you're looking for a Frankin-dress shoe.
        I will be happy if it looks similar to a Cordovan shell #8[emoji57] but more than likely it will go to the sales sections.

Comment

So an update on the Thursday natural cxl PTBs (Statesman) that I ordered during their sale:

The leather is typical CXL. It's going to crease and patina like crazy, and that's a good thing for this casual of a shoe. I think it's foolish of them to use this leather on a balmoral, but what do I know. The last is an odd fit. I ordered my normal dress shoe size and I could have probably gone another half size down, though I likely would have had to stretch the shoe for width. The insole is noisy. The leather is definitely hot stuffed CXL - I have no clue if it's actually Horween, but it compares to my AE Higgins Mill in creasing, marks, coloration, etc, with the exception that it is a thinner cut of hide. The welt and upper stitching is better than most of my AEs. The imitation Dainite sole is disappointing and this is where I have reservations of future purchases with Thursday. The studded rubber sole on these is very thin. I don't expect much life from this sole. The shoe may warrant a resole depending on how the upper wears and patinas, but I'm not counting on it. A resole with a proper Dainite sole is more that what I paid for the shoes. If the uppers turn into something I love, I'll resole them.

For $81 I'd buy them again. There is no way I'd spend $200 on these. I've been eying their Chelsea boots and unless they go on sale, I'll probably look for something else.

Comment

Shife says pretty much what I feel with my PTBs, but I see no reason to doubt that they're made of genuine Horween CXL and I'm less worried about the sole. I actually like them. They're comfortable, even though there's a bit of a squeak at first, and the natural leather looks good and should age nicely. Well worth the sale price. I doubt they're a good value at full price, though.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X