Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thursday Boot Company Shoe Sale

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
    Doubtful. That's such a bad business decision that there is no net value to it. They probably underestimated demand, which is still frustrating to the consumer but not malicious. They were offering a choose your own price for 24 hours. While the lowest price was around $80, they were probably hoping people chose to pay in the low $100 range. Their shoes will retail for $170, I think.
    What will make them think that we choose the expensive option? If this was targeted for us none Thursday boot customers to bite the bait, it work for me and got the horween wingtip. I have low expectations. It looks they sold out before 11 am on all there shoes.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #32
      Can't really call this a scam. I wasn't planning to buy one, but went in there found that the loafer in natural in my size and decided to go for it. By the time I was there that was one of the few styles left, but luckily I was in the market for a loafer. I was just fortunate and would not have been disappointed if I failed to find something.

      Comment


        #33
        The people screaming "SCAM!" remind me of the people who got all butthurt that McDonalds ran out of the LIMITED rerelease of the Szechuan sauce before they could get some.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by chiconice View Post
          What will make them think that we choose the expensive option? If this was targeted for us none Thursday boot customers to bite the bait, it work for me and got the horween wingtip. I have low expectations. It looks they sold out before 11 am on all there shoes.

          Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
          You may have noticed the text that changed as you chose your price. I would guess they were thinking that consumers would act the same way we do in restaurants. The food costs what it does, but people choose to add a tip, i.e. pay more.

          As an existing customer, I have been happy with the products I've bought. A GYW wingtip made of horween leather sounds like it will be a solid shoe. I think people place way too much emphasis on price and brand. An AE Strand cost $100 to make. The retail price is the result of markup, not necessarily quality, though I think the AE shoes I have are decently made. I also have shoes from Velasca, Jack Erwin, and Meermin that are far less expensive, and still very good shoes.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
            The people screaming "SCAM!" remind me of the people who got all butthurt that McDonalds ran out of the LIMITED rerelease of the Szechuan sauce before they could get some.
            Only one of us is yelling scam. And I don't eat McDonalds.

            And I won't say what you remind me of.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

              And I won't say what you remind me of.


              Lots of negative experiences with their quality and whatnot over on Reddit:GYW so I skipped this deal. Although for $80 and free shipping/returns, might have been worth the risk... Although I find it questionable using CXL for actual dress shoes.

              Comment


                #37
                I have been very happy with my French roast vanguards, I love the color and have not had any issues with comfort. I tried to pick up a pair last night but the site was down and they were sold out by the time I checked at 5:45 am.. bummer. Hope the people lucky enough to score a pair of shoes enjoy them!

                Comment


                  #38
                  I bought a pair around 5:30 this morning. Late in the day I got an email saying that they had 2000 pairs in stock and another 2000 ready to go in two weeks but by nine am they had sold out of everything they could ship by the end of May. (Mine is shipping then.) Apparently they didn't expect the huge demand and the writer (anonymous) said her/his own family couldn't get a pair.

                  Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Nandyn View Post


                    Lots of negative experiences with their quality and whatnot over on Reddit:GYW so I skipped this deal. Although for $80 and free shipping/returns, might have been worth the risk... Although I find it questionable using CXL for actual dress shoes.
                    Ha, Reddit. The Mos Eisley of the internet. I'm very skeptical of keyboard experts in subjective matters like quality. You can't have champagne expectations on a Sprite budget.

                    Also, if you bought at $80, it was final sale and I don't know if shipping was free.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
                      Ha, Reddit. The Mos Eisley of the internet. I'm very skeptical of keyboard experts in subjective matters like quality. You can't have champagne expectations on a Sprite budget.

                      Also, if you bought at $80, it was final sale and I don't know if shipping was free.
                      GoodYear Welt subreddit is definitely not frugal male fashion. People spend major coin on their boots and shoes over there and tend to know their stuff. But the final sale on at cost sales would make sense.
                      Last edited by Nandyn; April 26, 2018, 08:11 PM.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Returns were free if you paid $120 or more. At $81 the shoes were returnable subject to a $30 restocking fee, which is a much better deal given that you're not necessarily going to return them.

                        Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
                          Ha, Reddit. The Mos Eisley of the internet. I'm very skeptical of keyboard experts in subjective matters like quality. You can't have champagne expectations on a Sprite budget.

                          Also, if you bought at $80, it was final sale and I don't know if shipping was free.
                          When it comes to shoes I do think that there is an objective measure of quality, in that sense that you can evaluate shoes on a set of objective criteria, such as the leather quality, the construction method, the stitching of the uppers, etc. The challenge is that majority of people don't have the training or knowledge to be able to objectively evaluate quality, so people end up conflating quality with emotions such as how they like the shape, the design, the color, and the brand, making it subjective and often times not all that helpful.

                          For example, I recently saw a comment where someone claimed that shoe brand (let's call it X) was lower quality than Allen Edmonds for the following reasons:
                          -brand X shoe didn't provide as much cushioning and therefore wasn't as comfortable
                          -the leather on brand X shoe showed scuffs and scratches more easily

                          That probably makes sense to most people at least on first read, but the reality is that those two things are consequences of design rather than truly objective quality differences. Shoe brand X uses blake stitching rather than GYW and uses crust leather rather than aniline. Blake stitching doesn't use a midsole which is why you get less cushioning and potentially less comfort, and crust leather is dyed after the tanning process, which leads to greater patina potential but also means that the color is more prone to scuffs and scratches since it's less permanent. Neither of those two outcomes indicate anything about the quality of the construction or the quality of the leather, but that's the type of commentary that tends to pass as a review of quality.

                          I do think it's possible to say that shoe A is better than shoe B from a construction and materials perspective, but whether shoe A or B is more worth it for you is a subjective question. I agree with your overall point though: for the most part people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to objectively determining quality.
                          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                            GoodYear Welt subreddit is definitely not frugal male fashion. People spend major coin on their boots and shoes over there and tend to know their stuff. But the final sale on at cost sales would make sense.
                            That's the opposite end of unreasonable internet expert spectrum. The guys that think everything under $400 is made of cardboard and falls apart after taking them out of the box. I know I'm being cynical about this topic, but it's exhausting to read post after post where people unfairly malign legitimate new business start ups for not being heritage companies. It's even worse when people, that have never handled the products they are bashing, jump on the bandwagon because of what someone else said.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by Token View Post
                              When it comes to shoes I do think that there is an objective measure of quality, in that sense that you can evaluate shoes on a set of objective criteria, such as the leather quality, the construction method, the stitching of the uppers, etc. The challenge is that majority of people don't have the training or knowledge to be able to objectively evaluate quality, so people end up conflating quality with emotions such as how they like the shape, the design, the color, and the brand, making it subjective and often times not all that helpful.

                              For example, I recently saw a comment where someone claimed that shoe brand (let's call it X) was lower quality than Allen Edmonds for the following reasons:
                              -brand X shoe didn't provide as much cushioning and therefore wasn't as comfortable
                              -the leather on brand X shoe showed scuffs and scratches more easily

                              That probably makes sense to most people at least on first read, but the reality is that those two things are consequences of design rather than truly objective quality differences. Shoe brand X uses blake stitching rather than GYW and uses crust leather rather than aniline. Blake stitching doesn't use a midsole which is why you get less cushioning and potentially less comfort, and crust leather is dyed after the tanning process, which leads to greater patina potential but also means that the color is more prone to scuffs and scratches since it's less permanent. Neither of those two outcomes indicate anything about the quality of the construction or the quality of the leather, but that's the type of commentary that tends to pass as a review of quality.

                              I do think it's possible to say that shoe A is better than shoe B from a construction and materials perspective, but whether shoe A or B is more worth it for you is a subjective question. I agree with your overall point though: for the most part people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to objectively determining quality.
                              Thank you for that very nuanced explanation. If that were the typical shoe analysis, I would learn a lot more about products. As you say, most shoe reviews come down to emotional/subjective anecdotes about how they feel. You're right that shoes can be objectively compared under the right circumstances.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Nandyn View Post


                                Lots of negative experiences with their quality and whatnot over on Reddit:GYW so I skipped this deal. Although for $80 and free shipping/returns, might have been worth the risk... Although I find it questionable using CXL for actual dress shoes.
                                Why do you find questionable the CXL? I never owned a horween leather .

                                Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X