Making slots for collar stays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making slots for collar stays?

So I would say my wardrobe is split about 40/40 between casual oxfords and dress shirts. With the dress shirts, I can use collar stays. With the oxfords, they have buttons. However, there's that middle ground between the two that accounts for about 20% of my shirts where they still definitely need collar stays, but don't have the slots for them, or oxford collars. I also have a handful of oxfords that I'd really *like* to be able to use collar stays with, at least as an option.

This makes me wonder exactly how difficult it is to add slots for stays to a collar. Looking at my dress shirts, it can't be that hard. It's a little pouch! Furthermore, because it's on the underside of the collar, I wouldn't even have to do it very neatly; it could be a sloppy addition, and who'd ever know? Have any of you around here modified your shirts to accomodate collar stays, or read about it?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. While it's only on the underside, you don't want it to show from the top. So you can't really sew anything on unless the shirt is "2-ply" and even then it would be difficult for a novice seamstress (is there are masculine form of that word?)

But maybe there's a way to iron or glue them on?

Comment

Good question. I have some great brass collar stays...but only about half of my shirts have a slot for them. :/

Comment

The Wurkin Stiffs designed for polo shirts should work fine for this.

Comment

I have been pondering this for a bit as I am in a bit of the same predicament. I can't imagine it being too difficult as most collars are two layers thick. (As far as I am aware.) Granted, care would need to be taken to not accidentally stitch through the visible area.

This would be ideal to try if you had a shirt shortened as you would have extra fabric of the same texture and pattern.

Comment

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about those Wurkin Stiffs for polos. Those would definitely be an option. Granted, I'd have to find a way to permanently affix the collar stays to the underside of the collar, but I wouldn't really mind, and after that, it'd be easy. Even then, if I were feeling particularly industrious, I could buy a bunch of sticky-back velcro (very technical term, I know), cut it into really thin strips, and put one strip on the collar stay, and the other on the underside of the collar. That way, I'd have no trouble keeping the stay attached to the collar, but could still take it off if I needed to.

Initially, when I made the topic, I was also sort of considering the vague awareness I had of a type of product that turned out to be this: http://sewing.about.com/od/fusibles/...bleoptions.htm. It seems like it could also be very useful, potentially, and would allow for the creation of actual traditional slots rather than velcro. I haven't read up on them much, though, so I don't know how they handle further ironing, or laundering.

Comment

Working...
            X