AE Anniversary Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 300e View Post
    I've been looking for monk straps for quite some time. Had a pair of Carlos Santos in my basket from NM Last Call, and before I could check out they went out of stock. Then I looked at a bunch of options from Saks Off Fifth like Magli's, but I just didn't like the quality of the leather as compared to my nicest pair of shoes, some AE all calf Weybridge I bought several years ago.

When I saw the Meermins, it was love at first sight. Hopefully I feel the same when they arrive.
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Wanna go do a shoe montage next saturday?
    Haha, I'd be game, but I flying home in about an hour. I was in NYC for the week on vacation.

[MENTION=13344]300e[/MENTION] you should be good. Their conversion chart is mostly accurate. The Hiro and Rois lasts run kinda of small, so I needed a half size down from my US size rather than a full size. Their Rui last is the one I went a full size down, it's also the pair I bought and I'm wearing them home today. They will need a little break in, but they're good shoes for around $200.

Also, the tagged prices are $20 higher in store than online. So, I paid as much in store as I would have if I bought them online. Not a criticism at all, just a note in case anyone was hoping for a lower price in store.

Comment

Originally posted by StanislausBabalistic View Post
      Hmmm... I've been really really tempted to pull the trigger on Dalton 2nds in my size, which is incredibly hard to find (14EEE), but based on everyone's opinion I've been reading, is that not a good idea?
      )
      It depends on your luck I guess. My Chilli Dalton are first quality leather with a minor defect(very happy). My black Dalton it's an outlet made boot with 3rd tier leather(cheap looking) and no defects. It's a 50/50 you will like them.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
        I'm betting you will be pleased as long as the fit is right.
        Shoes delivered yesterday, and they're beautiful. The leather is fantastic and I love the coloring with the museum finish. Construction appears to be impeccable. As predicted, the shoes are quite stiff and will need some breaking in.

Wore the shoes around the house for about 30 minutes last night, and then put shoe trees in for the night. Put them on this morning and I could tell they're starting to loosen up already. I've got a full day today so I hesitated to wear them but just couldn't resist.

Comment

Might be useful info for some, but I recently posted about my unsatisfactory run in with 2nds. I didn't want to risk more $25 returns with this sale, so I drove to the AE Factory near(ish) me to check things out in person. The Daltons they had also had larger problems compared to the other models-- not sure if coincidence or if daltons are just unlucky.

I asked the sales rep if the stores get the 'better' of 2nds compared to the webshop and he didn't think they did, and he confirmed that they get shoes from both end of the spectrum. Some with very minor problems, others that are pretty beat up.

I ended up leaving with 3 pairs (park ave, mcallister, nomad). The problems were visible on each on close inspection, but not nearly as bad or noticeable as the pictures I posted. I still don't know whether I'll be OK with ordering more pairs sight unseen, but browsing through their broader selection of 2nds it makes me feel a bit better knowing that not every (or even most) pairs of 2nds are major rejects.

YMMV, YOLO, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 300e View Post
            Shoes delivered yesterday, and they're beautiful. The leather is fantastic and I love the coloring with the museum finish. Construction appears to be impeccable. As predicted, the shoes are quite stiff and will need some breaking in.

Wore the shoes around the house for about 30 minutes last night, and then put shoe trees in for the night. Put them on this morning and I could tell they're starting to loosen up already. I've got a full day today so I hesitated to wear them but just couldn't resist.
            The break in time is short, based on my limited experience. Wore mine flying back from New York on Saturday and again yesterday for work. Very comfortable shoes. I already want to buy another pair! Maybe when my pair of DSW wingtips die, I can justify getting another pair.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
              The break in time is short, based on my limited experience. Wore mine flying back from New York on Saturday and again yesterday for work. Very comfortable shoes. I already want to buy another pair! Maybe when my pair of DSW wingtips die, I can justify getting another pair.
              They loosened up considerably with one day's wear yesterday. I'll wear them again this weekend for a wedding,and I should be good to go.

Comment

I just picked up a pair of oxblood McAllister’s from the sale. Great addition to my growing collection.

Comment

Originally posted by menvo90 View Post
                  I just picked up a pair of oxblood McAllister’s from the sale. Great addition to my growing collection.

I have merlot McAllisters and every time I wear them, I think to myself "Why don't I wear these more often?"

Comment

Originally posted by menvo90 View Post
                    Great choice! I love the oxblood color. I have it in a McNeil. And I love the McAllister--I have that in bourbon. So, I approve!
                    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                    X