Cardigans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardigans?

I've got to get something off my chest that's been bothering me for a long time. I don't understand the infatuation with cardigans. Nearly every deal Dappered showcases has some type of cardigan. I like Dappered. I look forward to the daily email. Sometimes, I'll even take a peek at the site in the afternoon to get a preview of what tomorrow's email will be (rebellious, I know). Over the last 2 years, my wife has noticed a big jump in my style game, thanks in large part to Dappered. So, I owe a huge 'thank you' to you guys. But the burning question I have is WTF is the deal with cardigans!???

I never see anyone wearing them....anywhere.....ever....except in magazines. I've got a few friends who are VERY stylish. They're entire levels ahead of me in terms of men's fashion, and when I've asked them about cardigans, they laugh and say something like "those are for old people" or "I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one" or "what sites are YOU looking at?".

Seriously, what's the deal with cardigans?

So don't buy them?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ben

Comment

I have a few, and wear them occasionally, but not all that often. A couple years back I picked up a wool shirt-jac that serves the same function - don't have to pull it on over your head, even has snaps instead of buttons so it's easier to open and close - and since then my cardigans get very little wear. For casual settings the shirt-jac, IMO is a less frumpy way to get the same function. Cardigans do look better under a sport coat - the shirt-jac, untucked, does not work under a sport coat, at all.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrank View Post
        and when I've asked them about cardigans, they laugh and say something like "those are for old people" or "I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one" or "what sites are YOU looking at?".
        If those are the responses you got it seems like you're talking to 'fashionable' people-- I'm not surprised they aren't feeling cardis, I don't think they're 'in' right now, are they? This site seems to lean a bit more classic, so perhaps that explains it. It's also winter, so rather than post 6 of the same style sweaters...

All that aside, I don't see the big deal with cardigans. If they're not your thing that's fine, but I don't understand viewing them in the same category as top hat and cane.

I recently wore this to an event as a sport coat substitute and got a number of compliments. I don't consider myself particularly well dressed but it seemed to work fine. I rotate a number of sweaters through winter and the cardigan offers a slight change up to the usual crew neck, etc.

Last edited by t3ch; March 26, 2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Seriously, what's the deal with cardigans?
          And what's the deal with airplane food?

I mean really.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            So don't buy them?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
            Lol, I don't! But as I'm trying to up my fashion game, it's one of the recommendations that I'm perplexed by.

Comment

Lol, I don't! But as I'm trying to up my fashion game, it's one of the recommendations that I'm perplexed by.
              A thinner cardigan worn under a sportcoat serves a similar purpose to a waistcoat. On its own it's also a more casual alternative to wearing a blazer or sportcoat. Chunky shawl collar cardigans are also warm, comfortable, and look great with casual outfits. http://dieworkwear.com/post/13341307...twear-for-home

If it's not your style then it's not your style, but chances are your style is still evolving, so even though you don't like cardigans right now who knows in a few years time?
              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Then whatever you do DON'T go to this thread. You've been warned: https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...light=cardigan

Comment

(Insert Seinfeld "What's the deal with..." Image)

Cardigans definitely aren't for everyone. I enjoy them, but most people do not. They are seen as a versatile option to standard crew or v neck sweaters, and seem to go on sale much more often than standard sweaters which is why I think they get so much action on here.

Comment

I wear cardigans at the ripe old age of 37. I've worn them for a while though. Much like other articles of clothing, there are different styles of cardigan. So saying that all cardigans are dumb or whatever is like saying all sportcoats are dumb. Totally your right to not wear them or like them, but it's nothing I'd get upset over either.

Comment

Cardigans are “classic trendy”. They’ve been around forever and are back in style in certain circles. Wear them if you like. Don’t if you don’t. They definitely look dressier than, say, zip sweaters and are a little more convenient than pullovers.

Personally I don’t own any normal button cardigans. They just aren’t my thing, though I don’t hate them. I do like the look of chunky shawl collar cardigans but don’t find them comfortable at all so the couple I have don’t get worn anymore.

Comment

I never had one before this site and I still won't wear a shawl cardigan despite some members being able to pull it off very nicely.

I think the key is how you wear it and it does need confidence. In my office, some rooms go from fridges to hot. So having a light weight cardigan gives me that extra layer when needed and am able to pull it off if I do. I wear mine under a sportcoat 80% of the time. Sometimes just by itself with a tie on casual friday. I do get comments on them quite frequently but I like the look and it's very functional for my business environment.

I got my first one, a BB gray one, because I had a ton of gift cards so it was essentially 30 bucks. I'd recommend if you want to try them checking out JCrew Factory. But like any sort of outfit you need to have confidence in it.

Comment

1. People don't wear cardigans because other people don't (read: people wear trendy stuff)
                          2. Don't knock it till you try it. TRY is the keyword. Today I wear everything I was not a fan of five years ago. Trying it on is believing.
                          3. You need to ignore "those are for old people" argument (well, unless people's opinion matters a lot to you). A cardigan provides warmth and style you don't need to be a senior to enjoy the benefits.

I wear a thin Uniqlo cardigan under my sport coat when it's cool enough.
                          I wear a shawl collared cardigan as my outermost layer.

Comment

I think they are much more versatile when pulled off right...with pulled off right being the part not easy for everybody haha

Comment

There is a difference between thick shawl collar cardigan that you can wear casually over a shirt or t-shirt, with jeans, and a thin cardigan that you wear with tailored clothing. I am not sure huge fan in general

Comment

Working...
                              X