Dress for Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress for Africa

Hey all! I'm headed to Africa for a business trip in a few weeks. I'll be in meetings with government officials and want to dress professionally but also not sweat through my outfit. I'm thinking of bringing my banana republic navy sucker suit, j crew linen blend suit, and a blue unlined j crew Blazer. For shirts all I have is cotton.

Should I be buying linen pants and shirts? I'm traveling in 4 weeks and the average temp is going to be 80s and humid. Has anyone been to Senegal and can talk dress and style norms?

TIA

Rich
    Last edited by wdfd908; February 28, 2018, 08:37 PM. Reason: Typo

I've done a lot of work in Tanzania and I never saw anyone wearing a summer suit. Government officials all wear dark suits, often in polyester. For business, most people wear dark trousers and long sleeve dress shirts.

On my first trip I took cotton and linen suits, but they were out of place for most business meetings and looked very colonial (and may have caused offense, although I'm not sure).

Africa is a very conservative place in general, and clothing is no exception. I recommend tropical weight wool in navy and grey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, they dress to the nines for these sorts of thing and do take offense if you dress down. Dress for the boardroom and you'll fit right in.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
        I've done a lot of work in Tanzania and I never saw anyone wearing a summer suit. Government officials all wear dark suits, often in polyester. For business, most people wear dark trousers and long sleeve dress shirts.

On my first trip I took cotton and linen suits, but they were out of place for most business meetings and looked very colonial (and may have caused offense, although I'm not sure).

Africa is a very conservative place in general, and clothing is no exception. I recommend tropical weight wool in navy and grey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Thank you! That is the kind of information I was looking for. I will try to switch it up for my trip.

Comment

Further, at least in tropical Asia, most buildings/malls/etc are insanely air conditioned, so you might even be cold! I have no experience in Africa, but double check that issue, too.

Comment

Senegal is perfect this time of year. The weather won't drop below 60 or above 80. Enjoy!

Navy and charcoal workhorse suits if you're doing anything outside of tech biz there is most likely the safe bet.

Googling pics from past conferences/ events in the same country or region also works for me.

Check this guide out too: http://guide.culturecrossing.net/bas...ent.php?id=202
            Last edited by loveandhate; March 1, 2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post

Great info - thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X