looking for advice on tailoring BR suit pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for advice on tailoring BR suit pants

I'm looking for advice about the Banana Republic Italian chino suit I picked up this weekend. In its Modern cut, the jacket fits great but I'm concerned about the pants. My wife thought they were a little old school. I think they're just a bit too loose in the legs / seat. Has anyone had a similar reaction to these? And a separate question, has anyone had a tailor "slim" down suit pant legs? Sounds like it could end up being a disaster.

I've had pants slimmed down below the knee (tapered) quite successfully in the past. I've tried having a pair slimmed down and it seems I can't get her to slim then down enough for my tastes (the pants are pleated and it seems I can't get them to go past a certain point in the thigh). It may be worth a try though since BR doesn't typically make hammer pants that I've seen. Just take them to your tailor and be painfully clear with what you want done and have him/her pin you up. Even better bring in a pair that you love the cut of and see if they can match them. Hope you have good luck!

Comment

+1 to Frank,

I've had all my suit pants slimmed down to how I like them. Usually 17" at the knee and 15" at the hem. If they fit fine from the knee up then just get them tapered from the knee down. What's important is that you go to the same tailor all the time. Find a guy you like and stick with him.

Comment

Good to know. I have a pair of BR "classic fit" pants that I have a similar problem with. They are not as baggy as you'd expect from something labeled "classic fit," but they aren't as slim as I'd like. Can the pants be slimmed at all in the thigh/upper thigh area?

Similarly, how much can the sleeves of a dress shirt be tailored? I know their length can be shortened, but what about excess fabric on the arms that makes the sleeves look baggy?

Comment

Pants can absolutely be slimmed in the thigh area. I've had mine done before. As for sleeve shortening, I've heard that's pretty hard to do. Sleeve slimming, however, is done very frequently.

Comment

Again, good to hear I recently bought a TH shirt from Macy's that is supposed to be "slim fit" though it's anything but, especially in the sleeves.

Comment

Working...
            X