X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SuitSupply's Social Media Ads

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...77897195574994

SuitSupply is taking some ad risks on Facebook and Instagram by showing gay couples in their newest ads. I'm indifferent to the ads themselves. They don't make me any more or less likely to buy from them; the reaction is interesting, if not predictable.

The comments section is predictably horrifying, with guys pronouncing that they will never shop there and that PC culture is awful. I have many thoughts, but mostly amusement at the idea of tough guys that call others snowflakes but are easily triggered by seeing something they dislike.

I also don't think SuitSupply is being "politically correct" (a term so misused that it has almost not meaning) in their ads. I would argue that they're being politically incorrect because there are still a lot of vocal anti-LGBT proponents in American society. Which brings another point, SuitSupply is not a distinctly American company, right? So why assume their marketing is designed to stoke flames within American consumers?

Anyway, I'm curious what you guys think about SuitSupply's ad campaign. If it bothers you, would you mind explaining why? I'm genuinely curious as to why it matters.

If SS were aiming to be politically correct they would be posting pictures of nice middle-aged gay couples with multiracial adopted children and a golden retriever, smiling and holding hands in front of their beautifully manicured suburban lawn with a Subaru in the driveway.

Showing hot dudes making out is not PC.

SS is doing the same thing they've always done - pushing people's buttons to get free clicks. If anything this particular campaign is a lot more tame and a lot less explicit than previous campaigns they've done.
    Ben

Comment

I have long found SS's ad campaigns pointlessly provocative in a way that detracts from their quality products and service. I'm not offended by the current campaign in the way that I was offended by past campaigns that objectified women. I'm just not convinced by the strategy. Yes, the ad campaign will drive clicks and awareness. But I'm not sure that it will create new customers.

Comment

I definitely noticed it this AM on Twitter as if to see is that what I think it is. Doesn’t really change my mind on suit supply. Doesn’t make me more or less likely to buy from them. As [MENTION=11918]goodwillhinton[/MENTION] explained I’m not fond of their overall approach. I don’t think it does them a service and I did caveat when recommending stuff to people last year based on their ad campaign.

Comment

i'm sure suit supply appreciates the free buzz you're giving them by making this thread :-D

I like the guys kissing. it's a good sign for the companies, in these horriblest of horrible days.

I would make more of an effort to buy from them just knowing what side their marketing seems to think they're on. It might be a shallow liberal dog whistle, but it's not a bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
            i'm sure suit supply appreciates the free buzz you're giving them by making this thread :-D

I like the guys kissing. it's a good sign for the companies, in these horriblest of horrible days.

I would make more of an effort to buy from them just knowing what side their marketing seems to think they're on. It might be a shallow liberal dog whistle, but it's not a bad one.
            Ha! As if SuitSupply needed my help getting exposure on menswear forums.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
              Ha! As if SuitSupply needed my help getting exposure on menswear forums.
              if you say betelgeuse enough times...

Comment

Wasnt it SuitSupply Outlet, when it first popped up a few years back, had naked women in a swimming pool, with guys in suits surrounding them, or something to that effect? lol Edgy!

Comment

They certainly don't limit themselves to one form of sexual expression, do they?

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/...-russian-store

[Deleted image]
                  Last edited by hornsup84; February 21, 2018, 05:18 PM. Reason: Image removed to protect NSFW users
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                    They certainly don't limit themselves to one form of sexual expression, do they?

https://www.retaildetail.eu/en/news/...-russian-store
                    Aw cmon man nsfw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by hornsup84; February 21, 2018, 05:18 PM.
                    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Never forget

https://dappered.com/2016/02/a-react...ery-in-3-gifs/
                      Ben

Comment

"Pointlessly provocative" is well said. I find things such as this distracting and obnoxious. What SS hopes to gain is a mystery. They know that this will offend many people and are certainly standing by with the handy charge of "homophobe!" to be leveled at anyone who doesn't find a man sticking his tongue down another man's throat to be appealing.

This is a tacit insult. They are setting the customer up, daring him or her to complain, just so they can point a sanctimonious finger and hurl "deserved" insults at anyone who isn't progressive enough to appreciate their edginess or whatever they want to call it.

I have no respect for a company that engages in this kind of adversarial marketing. Benetton did it in the 90s with their "obituary" of Ronald Reagan dead from AIDS. French Connection UK did it in the 90s with their "FCUK" branding. A&F did it in the 2000s with 10 foot tall pictures in their stores of scantily clad boys and girls who looked for all intents and purposes to be prepubescent. How dare anyone complain! If you do, you're intolerant/backward/prudish/unelightened/etc.

Any merchant who dares me to disagree is one with whom I won't do business, even if I don't disagree. Don't treat me with contempt while suggesting I pay you for the privilege, SuitSupply.

Comment

Originally posted by koltrane View Post
                          "Pointlessly provocative" is well said. I find things such as this distracting and obnoxious. What SS hopes to gain is a mystery. They know that this will offend many people and are certainly standing by with the handy charge of "homophobe!" to be leveled at anyone who doesn't find a man sticking his tongue down another man's throat to be appealing.

This is a tacit insult. They are setting the customer up, daring him or her to complain, just so they can point a sanctimonious finger and hurl "deserved" insults at anyone who isn't progressive enough to appreciate their edginess or whatever they want to call it.

I have no respect for a company that engages in this kind of adversarial marketing. Benetton did it in the 90s with their "obituary" of Ronald Reagan dead from AIDS. French Connection UK did it in the 90s with their "FCUK" branding. A&F did it in the 2000s with 10 foot tall pictures in their stores of scantily clad boys and girls who looked for all intents and purposes to be prepubescent. How dare anyone complain! If you do, you're intolerant/backward/prudish/unelightened/etc.

Any merchant who dares me to disagree is one with whom I won't do business, even if I don't disagree. Don't treat me with contempt while suggesting I pay you for the privilege, SuitSupply.
                          I assume you were just as vociferously offended by SS's ads when they were actually, genuinely sexually explicit and degrading and not just when they featured a single image of two fully clothed people kissing who happen to both be men
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                            I assume you were just as vociferously offended by SS's ads when they were actually, genuinely sexually explicit and degrading and not just when they featured a single image of two fully clothed people kissing who happen to both be men
                            Boy, that was quick!

So here we go. You're doing SuitSupply's dirty work for them - accusing me of hypocrisy or intolerance or whatever because I voiced something other than effusive praise. I would suggest you read what I wrote, particularly the last line, before you kneejerk to smug accusations.

But in case you cannot divine it, the answer is yes - had I seen those actually, genuinely sexually explicit and degrading images I would have been equally put off - and chiefly by the attitude and confrontational nature of such marketing. I don't like anyone setting out to offend, particularly someone whose goal is to entice me to pay them. It is disrespectful and contemptuous and I choose to spend my money elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by koltrane View Post
                              Boy, that was quick!

So here we go. You're doing SuitSupply's dirty work for them - accusing me of hypocrisy or intolerance or whatever because I voiced something other than effusive praise. I would suggest you read what I wrote, particularly the last line, before you kneejerk to smug accusations.

But in case you cannot divine it, the answer is yes - had I seen those actually, genuinely sexually explicit and degrading images I would have been equally put off - and chiefly by the attitude and confrontational nature of such marketing. I don't like anyone setting out to offend, particularly someone whose goal is to entice me to pay them. It is disrespectful and contemptuous and I choose to spend my money elsewhere.
                              How is showing two men kissing setting out to offend? Wouldn't it just be a reflection of the segment of the market that buys men's clothes? It, perhaps, says more about you than suitsupply, that you take a marketing choice as deliberately trying to offend, when the argument could just as easily be made that it is trying to expand the reach of the brand....

Was D&G setting out offend with this?

Or Tom Ford with this?

Or Guess with this?

Or Van Husen with this vintage gem?

Last edited by BillN; February 21, 2018, 07:02 PM.
                              Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                              Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                              --Jason Isbell

Comment

Working...
                              X