Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brooks brothers AE - thoughts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by doomx View Post
    Leather soles are "luxurious" out of the box but once you wear them for a dozen times, they become less so. Quality rubber soles are very nice.
    This. If I had the choice I'd switch out all of my AE leather soles to V-tread soles. To a certain extent, when you choose leather soles, you're choosing looks over durability, and AE leather soles don't really offer much in terms of looks. No closed channel stitching, no fiddleback waist, and they're less durable compared to higher quality leather soles like JR. One wear on an AE leather sole looks like five wears on a JR sole.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

    Comment


    • #17
      The Poron insole is uncomfortable and if you have a higher than normal instep like me you may need to actually go up a width or two.

      Comment


      • #18
        There is some consideration to leather vs rubber soles.

        This blog post goes over everything in detail

        http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2017/...ber-soles.html

        I would personally take a quality rubber sole over junk leather, but do prefer quality leather in general.

        I would add that I haven't found AE leather soles to be particularly high quality. Soles from Puy en Velay and J. Rendenbach are what I consider high quality. I don't know exactly what AE uses, but the soles show wear quickly as stated above.
        Last edited by ianr; February 13, 2018, 04:39 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Isn’t v-tread a leather sole with rubber over it?

          Comment


          • #20
            In my opinion:

            1. V-tread rubber half-sole (or Vibram, etc).
            2. Leather sole.
            3. Dainite sole.

            Comment


            • #21
              Whenever AE offers their deep discount sale ($245.00 for shoes built on the 65 last) I order a pair with Poron insoles and Dainite soles. I'm normaly a D width, so with the Poron insoles, I size up to an E width. Super comfortable. In addition, I doubt AE is crafting the BB shoes out of any different leather than their AE branded shoes.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SWong37 View Post
                Isn’t v-tread a leather sole with rubber over it?
                the rubber replaces the leather in the front of the shoe, so there's no additional height added to the shoe from the rubber. It's basically AE's version of a sleek rubber sole. Unless you're staring from close up you wouldn't be able to tell that it's rubber and not leather, whereas something like Dainite adds a bit of bulk.
                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Token View Post
                  the rubber replaces the leather in the front of the shoe, so there's no additional height added to the shoe from the rubber. It's basically AE's version of a sleek rubber sole. Unless you're staring from close up you wouldn't be able to tell that it's rubber and not leather, whereas something like Dainite adds a bit of bulk.
                  In my experience, Dainite is also much less comfortable. It is initially very uncomfortable because it is so stiff and inflexible. But even after it's broken in, it is not very comfortable, because the studs aren't level with the rubber, so you occasionally get an uneven footing. All in all, I prefer the rubber half-sole or vibram/Topy. They may not be quite as durable, but they are still overall far preferable. And I prefer leather to Dainite, too. Comfort and style beat out longevity. At least for someone with a deep collection.

                  Anyway, I just had an interesting conversation with the Allen Edmonds' customer service. I am thinking about getting a walnut Leiden or walnut burnished McGregor, so I wanted to check whether they are the same color. She said that they are. (The photos look very different but we know they are unreliable). Anyway, she also denied that bourbon is made by taking walnut leather and then burnishing it with black. She said it's a different color and always has been. That was definitely not my understanding. I thought it was widely acknowledged that bourbon was discontinued because it ended up with tiger striping so much of the time from the burnishing. I'll have to look into this further, unless anyone has any information about it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I went ahead and got a pair of the burgundy McAllister. Already have a pair of standard AE strands and PA, so well see the difference.

                    Thanks for the input everyone

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                      In my experience, Dainite is also much less comfortable. It is initially very uncomfortable because it is so stiff and inflexible. But even after it's broken in, it is not very comfortable, because the studs aren't level with the rubber, so you occasionally get an uneven footing. All in all, I prefer the rubber half-sole or vibram/Topy. They may not be quite as durable, but they are still overall far preferable. And I prefer leather to Dainite, too. Comfort and style beat out longevity. At least for someone with a deep collection.
                      I can attest to this personally and recently. I am at a conference where I am on my feet for 8 hours a day. I wore my leather soled Carlos Santos yesterday and felt fine at the end of the day (we even walked a mile or so through the French Quarter). I wore my Dainite soled AE University today and couldn’t wait to get them off. My feet are so sore. I am switching shoes to take my clients to dinner tonight.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I thought they are all same quality

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I just received my pair of BB McAllister.

                          My AE strands and PA are 10D and they fit perfect (borderline a little loose of I had to be picky)

                          Stepping into the BB shoes, they are very low volume. My foot sits much higher with the poron insoles and there is some slippage at the heal due to a higher height.

                          Wondering how much the poron insoles break in and decrease in height.

                          Thanks!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                            walnut burnished McGregor, so I wanted to check whether they are the same color. She said that they are. (The photos look very different but we know they are unreliable). Anyway, she also denied that bourbon is made by taking walnut leather and then burnishing it with black. She said it's a different color and always has been. That was definitely not my understanding. I thought it was widely acknowledged that bourbon was discontinued because it ended up with tiger striping so much of the time from the burnishing. I'll have to look into this further, unless anyone has any information about it.
                            I really like my bourbon MCallisters. I haven't had the tiger striping issue appear. And because I got them on close-out, the price made them sweeter.
                            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Did most people size up a width from their normal AE size due to the poron insole?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X