No announcement yet.

LL Bean Changes Return Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to a Planet Money podcast (highly recommend it by the way) there was a HUGE market in buying old and used LLB stuff on eBay and then going to the store and asking for a completely new item. Small wonder they changed their policy.

Comment

... and here's the other shoe dropping... "loyal" customer sues LL Bean for changing their policy. The unearned sense of entitlement is just astounding...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...icy/337984002/
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
        ... and here's the other shoe dropping... "loyal" customer sues LL Bean for changing their policy. The unearned sense of entitlement is just astounding...

Yep. Stupidest part is that the policy change isn't retroactive; only purchases made on or after Feb. 9 are limited.

The only possible claim of breach of contract is that the unlimited policy did not require proof of purchase until now. To make a claim under the unlimited policy, one must now present proof the purchase occurred before Feb. 9.

The unfortunate problem for LL Bean is there is a potential claim here. Under tort law, the contract is interpreted as much as possible in favour of the party which did NOT write it. The simple, plain language LL Bean used -- "if something's not ... lasting as long as you think it should" -- is open to interpretation as to whether the warranty is for defects, or wear. The spirit of the warranty is irrelevant to the wording. Moreover, the prior practice of not requiring proof of purchase means the new policy violates the precedent LL Bean itself set.

That said, I suspect the lawyer is banking on a "defendant pays because it's cheaper than winning at trial" settlement.

The hundred people already signed to the lawsuit demanded $5 million in compensation.

Here's the old policy: https://www.bigcommerce.com/blog/wp-...cy-example.png

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post

People suck. It'd be interesting to see what a jury would do with a claim like this.

Comment

theres no jury in civil cases...

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
              This is not correct. In a case like this it’s a near certainty that a plaintiff elects a jury trial over a bench trial.

Comment

that may be the case in the uk, but in the us, civil cases generally are permitted to go to a jury.

Comment

In the US - where the lawsuit was filed - there is generally a right to a jury trial in civil cases where there is a claim for a legal remedy (i.e. monetary damages), as opposed to an equitable remedy (i.e. an injunction, specific performance, etc.). This is generally true in both federal courts and in all the states except for Louisiana.

It's something of a moot point because if, as it sounds, L.L. Bean's new warranty applies only to purchases moving forward, then there is no chance this lawsuit will survive a motion to dismiss and/or a motion for summary judgment.
                  Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    In the US - where the lawsuit was filed - there is generally a right to a jury trial in civil cases where there is a claim for a legal remedy (i.e. monetary damages), as opposed to an equitable remedy (i.e. an injunction, specific performance, etc.). This is generally true in both federal courts and in all the states except for Louisiana.

It's something of a moot point because if, as it sounds, L.L. Bean's new warranty applies only to purchases moving forward, then there is no chance this lawsuit will survive a motion to dismiss and/or a motion for summary judgment.
                    Well I'll be... glad to know me spend edumacation dollars good

Comment

Just returned a bunch of stuff to them. While I think most of LLBean's stuff is pretty high quality, it also tends to run at least double the price of other brands. Without a lifetime warranty I can't justify that.

Comment

Originally posted by zerostyle View Post
                        Just returned a bunch of stuff to them. While I think most of LLBean's stuff is pretty high quality, it also tends to run at least double the price of other brands. Without a lifetime warranty I can't justify that.
                        Really? Do you care to share a list of companies that offer the same quality with such a lower price point? Ones that still offer a year guarantee? Id be curious to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                          Really? Do you care to share a list of companies that offer the same quality with such a lower price point? Ones that still offer a year guarantee? Id be curious to see that.
                          It's not exactly a one-year guarantee.

The new policy explicitly states that goods defective in materials or craftsmanship will be considered for returns or exchanges even after a year, with no time limit specified.

The one-year limit applies to satisfaction. So guess what, you can still abuse the guarantee by wearing something for a year and then getting a refund.

Comment

Only LL Bean doesn't change their policy but also other famous stores such as Best Buy, Walmart, or Target do changes it initial.
                            If you did like to return those shirts than they are having 365 days return time frame to return. The product such as shirt needs to be bought in the original condition. For the detailed policy, you need to check LL Bean Return Policy to return and refund or can call at 800-341-4341.

Comment

Working...
                            X