LL Bean Changes Return Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LL Bean Changes Return Policy

Some folks just have to go and ruin a good thing for the rest of us.

Story here.

Yeah, got the email this morning. Kind of a bummer, but I don't blame them.

Comment

Don’t blame them, but man that sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems like B.S. to me.

I bought an L.L. Bean shirt in 2015 I returned under their guarantee because it started falling apart after a few washes.

I also have L.L. Bean shirts from decades ago that are still fine.

From my perspective, of course you end your lifetime guarantee on products that are no longer manufactured to last a long time.

Comment

I have a ten year old bag of theirs that needs some work, but I felt guilty about returning it, so didn't.

Comment

That really sucks, I don't understand why some people have to abuse the system.

Comment

This is why we can’t have nice things.
              Ben

Comment

Comment

I actually think that LL Bean's forever warranty is kind of lame. Items that get used wear out. Or get abused and trashed. Why should LL Bean be expected to replace shoes whose soles wore out after ten years of hard use? A policy to take anything back anytime for any reason is just asking to be abused.

I really like the Sturm, Ruger, and Company (firearms manufacturer) approach. They offer NO written warranty. At the same time, they back their products. If a firearm has a problem, you send it to them and they will most likely fix it at no cost... unless it's obviously your fault...
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                    I actually think that LL Bean's forever warranty is kind of lame. Items that get used wear out. Or get abused and trashed. Why should LL Bean be expected to replace shoes whose soles wore out after ten years of hard use? A policy to take anything back anytime for any reason is just asking to be abused.

I really like the Sturm, Ruger, and Company (firearms manufacturer) approach. They offer NO written warranty. At the same time, they back their products. If a firearm has a problem, you send it to them and they will most likely fix it at no cost... unless it's obviously your fault...
                    Sounds like Ruger's unwritten policy is very similar to LL Bean's (previous) written policy.

I think the whole written guarantee vs unwritten guarantee is best summarized by the late, great Chris Farley in Tommy Boy.

Comment

I love Bean, and have an ass-ton of their clothes, footwear, etc. Have some items worn out over time? You bet your ass(-ton). Little things, like the collar on my favorite cotton jacket that I've worn consistently through 20+ springs and falls, has at last become frayed. Would I ever be so fundamentally dishonest (or cheap, or just plain stupid) to expect Bean to replace it at this point, even with their much-vaunted lifetime guarantee? Of course not.

Fact is, even this is moot, as they don't make an equivalent jacket anymore--trust me, I've looked! Bean's "we'll replace it so you can wear it at your funeral" policy was a noble gesture, if antiquated and bound to be abused. Still, it's sad to see such a fine old gesture go the way of the 8-track.

By the way, I did finally find the equivalent of that beloved jacket (http://www.baracuta.com/on/demandwar...PS0001BCNY1309) and I shelled out for it gladly!

Comment

WSJ said L.L. Bean had spent $250 million on returns in the last five years.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
                          Sounds like Ruger's unwritten policy is very similar to LL Bean's (previous) written policy.

I think the whole written guarantee vs unwritten guarantee is best summarized by the late, great Chris Farley in Tommy Boy.
                          Ok that is fricken hilarious...
                          Mark

Comment

I'm not surprised that LL Bean changed their return policy. REI changed their return policy about 5 years ago due to the amount of abuse it received.

-Vic
                            "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

The best intentions forever ruined by the worst idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X